Academy Awards 2018: Oscar Night

Mladen

8 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Lol at the people who think there's a right and wrong way to speak out against the horrors experienced by women in Hollywood. Women are tired. Women are tired of being harassased and assaulted and when they stay silent they're told "why didn't they speak up/why didn't they speak up sooner?" And when they do speak up they get told "this is not how you should speak up. speak this way or that way."

Anyhoo, was rooting for Dunkirk and Nolan. Sad Nolan didn't get it. But McDormand's speech cheered me up well enough. Wasn't particularly invested this year since I watched literally two nominated movies.

So, we are opening that box of worms :D

Listen, I was so touched and inspired by the way Francis McDormand honored women. It was completely uninhibited, truly genuine... Stone's thing was really not fair. The first thing is that her aim is completely off. As I said, Academy can't award something that is not there. So, fight has to stand long before awards season begins. I do believe it was wrong because those four men worked very hard and they didn't deserve to be named as just "four men". Two of them were minority and del Toro's win, in the age where people seriously talk about wall on Mexico's border, means something. So, they were not just "four penis-owners". They are four individuals that may even not have the privilege and power many others have. 

I wholeheartedly believe in what McDormand said. We need to hear these women's stories and transform them into art. Give them support and money to do what they can do best. Attacking each other and ruining perhaps the rare moments of recognition someone gets, for me, is not the way.

21 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it just me, or was this year lacking a truly great movie? There were a lot of really good movies, but nothing that seemed to separate itself from the pack. I honestly think 10 different movies could have won Best Picture. Personally I would have given it to Get Out because of its uniqueness, but I guess a movie about a mute woman hooking up with a fishman is unique too.

The Oscars are no measure of a film's lasting merit. The 1956 Western The Searchers got zero nominations in any category for any academy award. Now that film is considered either one of the best if not the best Western ever made. 

30 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Why?

Multiple reasons.

1, This shit is super obscure. To prove their claim is true, they'd have to prove Del Toro saw it or even heard of it

2. There were enough differences in the stories where to me, it's clearly not plagiarized

3. There is assumption that ones creativity is the only creativity to exist. Lots of people in this world with lots of thoughts. Believing that another person, 40 years later, couldn't think of a similar elements of a story with a completely different premise seems wrong to me

4. Del Toro is fucking weird and clearly did this with other people. He thinks shit up like this all the time. Has a note book full of weird drawings and strange characters. This whole story is right up his alley. From characters in Hellboy to the fairy tale element of Pan's Labyrinth, this movie felt like the culmination of everything else he's done. 

5. Even if the first was true, shit like this happens all time. People are constantly stealing themes and plot elements from other movies to make their own (inspiration and all that). It happens in books and movies all the time.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Even if the first was true, shit like this happens all time. People are constantly stealing themes and plot elements from other movies to make their own (inspiration and all that). It happens in books and movies all the time.

This is really all that needs to be said.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

5. Even if the first was true, shit like this happens all time. People are constantly stealing themes and plot elements from other movies to make their own (inspiration and all that). It happens in books and movies all the time.

I’m a big Tarantino fan, so I’m not going to give Del Toro too much shit over something like this. :P

I wasn’t trying to criticize, just pointing out the idea might not be as original as Tywin thought. 

51 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well there are a lot of manga about merman fucking.

(No, really)

This is information I never needed to know, and hope escapes my brain as quickly as possible.

I have to say as the 1% of the world who seems to have seen both films, This is Me from The Greatest Showman was better than every single track in Coco.

The song was robbed! :o >:( 

Yeah, it's always a joke. That said, the Oscars is really not a measure of excellence, but a measure of who gave out the best "gifts" during the viewing sessions.

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

Multiple reasons.

All of that stuff is true, but that the claim is most likely wrong doesn't mean it's idiotic. The creators of both things are certainly justified in at least doing a double take when they saw what Shape of Water was about.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, Corvinus said:

I don't think BR would have won it, with this crowd, but I would have been happy if had been nominated.

It must be me and a style thing? I didn't think BR was a good movie, let alone worthy of sneaking in to Oscar talk.

4 hours ago, Yukle said:

I have to say as the 1% of the world who seems to have seen both films, This is Me from The Greatest Showman was better than every single track in Coco.

The song was robbed! :o >:( 

I agree... I really loved "This is Me" and it has amazing energy.

2 hours ago, Yukle said:

Yeah, it's always a joke. That said, the Oscars is really not a measure of excellence, but a measure of who gave out the best "gifts" during the viewing sessions.

The bigger issue is that Oscars are becoming culturally irrelevant. Simply, who cares anymore? In 1998, people cared because everyone in the world watched Titanic. Same in 2004, with LOTR:ROTK. In 2010, Avatar drew some numbers. People were invested. Now, it seems that the movies that get nominated and awarded are not something a lot of people are drawn to. Every year we have that the fewer and fewer people have watched the movies that are nominated. 

2 hours ago, Risto said:

Every year we have that the fewer and fewer people have watched the movies that are nominated. 

Yeah... I had literally not heard of Three Billboards outside a far too long title until I saw its name on the nominated lists.

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

All of that stuff is true, but that the claim is most likely wrong doesn't mean it's idiotic. The creators of both things are certainly justified in at least doing a double take when they saw what Shape of Water was about.

Sure do a double take. Don’t claim plagiarism.

14 hours ago, Mexal said:

Yup. A great example is Stairway To Heaven. It’s a total rip off. And then there’s this one which ruins my favorite childhood movie:

The Lion King controversy[edit]

220px-Earlypresentationreelwhitelionking

Screenshot from an early presentation reel of The Lion King that shows a white lion cub and a butterfly.

As a number of media journalists and fans watched Disney's animated feature film The Lion King they noticed characters and events in the story resembling those of Kimba. Although The Lion King has a different screenplay, there are numerous strong artistic similarities, including scenes that appear to be copied almost directly from those in Kimba.[18] One superficial similarity is the protagonists' names: Kimba and Simba. Although the pronunciations of the two names are similar, the word simbameans "lion" in Swahili. Other similarities are thematically deeper and more pronounced, such as that both feature the theme of the circle of life.

Matthew Broderick has said that when he was hired as the voice of adult Simba in The Lion King, he presumed the project was related to Kimba the White Lion.[19][20][21][22] "I thought he meant Kimba, who was a white lion in a cartoon when I was a little kid," said Broderick. "So I kept telling everybody I was going to play Kimba. I didn't really know anything about it, but I didn't really care."[23]

Upon the release of The Lion King in Japan, multiple Japanese cartoonists signed a petition requesting that the Walt Disney Company acknowledge that The Lion King was based on characters and situations from Jungle Emperor Leo.[24]

However Lion King director, Roger Allers, claimed he was unfamiliar with the show:

"The whole time I worked on The Lion King the name of that show never came up. At least I never heard it. I had never seen the show and really only became aware of it as Lion King was being completed, and someone showed me images of it. I worked with George Scribner and Linda Woolverton to develop the story in the early days but then left to help out on Aladdin. If one of them were familiar with Kimba they didn’t say. Of course, it’s possible. Then later I teamed up with Rob Minkoff to direct it together and with new writers Irene Mecchi and Jonathan Roberts. Many story ideas developed and changed along the way, always just to make our story stronger. I could certainly understand Kimba’s creators feeling angry if they felt we had stolen ideas from them. If I had been inspired by Kimba I would certainly acknowledge my inspiration. All I can offer is my respect to those artists and say that their creation has its loyal admirers and its assured place in animation history."[25]

Co-director Minkoff also claimed he was unfamiliar with it: "I know for a fact that ["Kimba"] has never been discussed as long as I've been on the project... In my experience, if Disney becomes aware of anything like that, they say you will not do it. People are claiming copyright infringement all the time." He also stated that whenever a story is based in Africa, it is "not unusual to have characters like a baboon, a bird or hyenas."[26]

The Tezuka–Disney connection extends back decades before the movie. Tezuka met Walt Disney at the 1964 New York World's Fair, and Disney said he hoped to "make something just like" Tezuka's Astro Boy.[27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimba_the_White_Lion

Archived