Azor Ahai was Azor Ahai

41 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

There is no new incarnation.  The characters we have today, they have their own names.   And they will act differently this time around.   Some will be horny, others will bang without lust because they married for power.    It's a land grab story.

Agreed. 

51 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

There is no new incarnation.  The characters we have today, they have their own names.   And they will act differently this time around.

I agree, too. This ain't Battlestar Galactica (21st c version), where "All of this has happened before and it will happen again." And applying an Ashai'ian myth to Westerosi culture doesn't fly. How many knights and lords do we know of who are also swordsmiths? They've all got smallfolk who do that for them, or they buy in town.

Please don't bring up the bastard, Ser Gendry of the Bull's Hat. He's a professional, and not crazy enough to try to temper a blade with homicide.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

There is no new incarnation.  The characters we have today, they have their own names.   And they will act differently this time around.   Some will be horny, others will bang without lust because they married for power.    It's a land grab story.

Yes, but with time between books being over 7 years now, book hungry fans have nothing to do other than speculate on nonsense because everything relevant has been discussed ad nauseum 

I agree. I think the reason why there's so much speculation on who in the current timeline fits the criteria is because Mel talks about AA's return. 

ACoK, Davos I 

Melisandre was robed all in scarlet satin and blood velvet, her eyes as red as the great ruby that glistened at her throat as if it too were afire. "In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him." She lifted her voice, so it carried out over the gathered host. "Azor Ahai, beloved of R'hllor! The Warrior of Light, the Son of Fire! Come forth, your sword awaits you! Come forth and take it into your hand!" 

That said, I don't think we'll get AA II - THE MISSION (a good thing, since AA seems like a bit of an arsehole)

And what's interesting in the quote above is how Mel says AA gets the sword... by pulling it out of a fire and not from someone's heart. Although she may have said that because that was the show she was putting on.  

4 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Yes, but with time between books being over 7 years now, book hungry fans have nothing to do other than speculate on nonsense because everything relevant has been discussed ad nauseum 

Or ... read something else for a change? I've gone through The Expanse series, re-read CJ Cherryh's books from the 1970s and 80s, and what seems like innumerable individual books, both fiction and non. When The Winds of Winter is announced, I'll review the entire series, probably via audiobook, while waiting for my copy to arrive. I'm not going to suggest "Get a life!" because that's just rude and uncompassionate. But folks should consider other hobbies besides strapping on the tinfoil hat! (sorry; that was rude and uncompassionate.)

And what's interesting in the quote above is how Mel says AA gets the sword... by pulling it out of a fire and not from someone's heart.

Thanks for adding this! I've always been disgusted by the "heart quench" story, not to mention the way a number of people really seem to love it.

48 minutes ago, zandru said:

Or ... read something else for a change? 

Yes, but this is the westeros forum so people gather to discuss books set in the fictional kingdom 

49 minutes ago, zandru said:

I've gone through The Expanse series, re-read CJ Cherryh's books from the 1970s and 80s, and what seems like innumerable individual books, both fiction and non.

Good for you 

49 minutes ago, zandru said:

When The Winds of Winter is announced, I'll review the entire series, probably via audiobook, while waiting for my copy to arrive. I'm not going to suggest "Get a life!" because that's just rude and uncompassionate.

Good for you again 

50 minutes ago, zandru said:

But folks should consider other hobbies besides strapping on the tinfoil hat! (sorry; that was rude and uncompassionate.)

They should , yet here we are, making fun of them in a thread on the westeros forum 

1 hour ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Yes, but this is the westeros forum so people gather to discuss books set in the fictional kingdom 

Well, of course. We ought to have special Whinging Westeros forums, but they always manage to break out on their own...

No, I wasn't bragging or boasting - just tossing out a few ideas. Probably folks here would be more partial to fantasy, anyway. Feel free to laugh at the garbage I read.

I think the story is just going to happen the way it happens without spelling out who(if anyone) Azor Ahai Reborn, the Prince that was Promised, the Last Hero and all the rest were. I think fans will still be arguing this subject even after Dream is published(or season 8 of the show for a more realistic milestone).

I clicked on this hoping for a satirical essay on par with the “Hound and Mountain Are Brothers” thread, but I was sorely disappointed. 

I think you’re partially right. The second coming of Azor Ahai doesn’t have to do all the same things, I just think it’s who the Red Ralooists will view as their saviour come the Long Night 2: Electric Boogaloo. 

"Have you ever seen the arms of House Toland of Ghost Hill?"

He had to think a moment. "A dragon eating its own tail?"

"The dragon is time. It has no beginning and no ending, so all things come round again."

The Soiled Knight, Feast 13

"Archmaester Rigney once wrote that history is a wheel, for the nature of man is fundamentally unchanging. What has happened before will perforce happen again, he said."

The Kraken's Daughter, Feast 11

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

"Have you ever seen the arms of House Toland of Ghost Hill?"

He had to think a moment. "A dragon eating its own tail?"

"The dragon is time. It has no beginning and no ending, so all things come round again."

The Soiled Knight, Feast 13

"Archmaester Rigney once wrote that history is a wheel, for the nature of man is fundamentally unchanging. What has happened before will perforce happen again, he said."

The Kraken's Daughter, Feast 11

A Dance with Dragons - A Ghost in Winterfell

It all seemed so familiar, like a mummer show that he had seen before. Only the mummers had changed. Roose Bolton was playing the part that Theon hadplayed the last time round, and the dead men were playing the parts of Aggar, Gynir Rednose, and Gelmarr the Grim. Reek was there too, he remembered, but he was a different Reek, a Reek with bloody hands and lies dripping from his lips, sweet as honey. Reek, Reek, it rhymes with sneak.

In the beginning, there was...'ME -- LISA -- N' ANDRE'! 

On 3/5/2018 at 2:19 PM, The Mother of The Others said:

I have one word for you -- 'RIVERRUN'..!

Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 King James Version (KJV)

9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Or in other words, as expressed by one au fait in these matters:

On 7/3/2017 at 2:32 PM, The Mother of The Others said:

Uuuuh, People Have To Do Something Before They Die, And Having Them Be Meek would telegraph their deaths, so they all want to be the upper tier characters who don't die, and to better imagine themselves this they engage in mockery to present the cosmos with a substitute to kill off, saying, "here you go, cruel universe, here's a sacrifice nearer to your scythe than me, less deserving of living on, surely, so take this one first."     Not all mockers are being truthful of course, so the universe chooses some to proove wrong by taking them as the least worthy of life and most worthy of death.    

Does this proove or signify anything other than pointing out the great dance of life and death takes place on these pages the same as in our reality ?      It's  like saying, "aha!  The sun rose!  See that?  That supports my theory!"     We exist in a state of mockery, by definition.  We have to take dumps daily.  Which means the cosmos mocks us, so we eat all the higher life forms on the planet and poop them out to show our disdain back to the universe.   But then by doing so we undermine the ecosystem and go extinct and the joke's on us.  

What I'm saying is this doesn't amount to a secret fantasy formula within the books, this is part of how George models Reality in the books, openly, as part of his main political thesis about "try to prolong your life by being a wise player of the game and not boastfully unwise."

On 3/6/2018 at 6:19 AM, The Mother of The Others said:

Kind of. I think that the prophecy becomes self-fulfilling, especially in retrospect.

At some stage, the Others will be defeated. The criteria for being AA reborn aren't that specific and not that difficult to fulfill. Therefore, whoever leads the defence against the Others - or just does something particularly noteworthy - is retrospectively AA all along. There are those in Westeros and Essos who'd believe the mystical elements to the prophecy, and others who'd roll their eyes and say that for every prophecy fulfilled (most of them due to loose rules), there are thousands more leading to nothing.

At the very least, the fact that Cersei's prophecy from the Wood's Witch seems to be playing out (1 of 3 kids dead so far, and Robert correctly identified as having more than a dozen kids - none with her - are too hard to have guessed) suggests that magic can give credence to prophecy in the World of Ice and Fire.

Similarly, Dany's visions in the House of the Undying also lend themselves to prophecy carrying actual weight.

The present day situation may try to repeat history, but I doubt we're seeing all of this just so a character can say yes to repeating an endless cycle.  This is the chronicle of the end of some vast historical stalemate.   The time of the wall and the watch and the Others and the Childen is reaching a resolution, and you don't get it done by following the same recipe the last hero used to bargain for another 1000 years for humanity.   This is when some skater kid is gonna spray paint a big anarchy symbol on the night king's chest and shove those fizzy tablets down his icy gullet.   There is no winning script for an Azor to follow, because none has ever succeeded before.  So if it's to be a satisfactory conclusion, we're going off script from Azors past.

20 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

The present day situation may try to repeat history, but I doubt we're seeing all of this just so a character can say yes to repeating an endless cycle.  This is the chronicle of the end of some vast historical stalemate.   The time of the wall and the watch and the Others and the Childen is reaching a resolution, and you don't get it done by following the same recipe the last hero used to bargain for another 1000 years for humanity.   This is when some skater kid is gonna spray paint a big anarchy symbol on the night king's chest and shove those fizzy tablets down his icy gullet.   There is no winning script for an Azor to follow, because none has ever succeeded before.  So if it's to be a satisfactory conclusion, we're going off script from Azors past.

Yep,this makes sense.

I believe there was no Azor ahai in the first place.

It's Hukko/Hugor of the hill/Huzhor  Amai finding it's way into Asshai myths, somehow getting merged with the much older legendary figure Last Hero. 

What is dead may never die, what is not born can never be reborn.

There will be a hero to lead like the last time but that will be all, no ham making no flamery swords forged by uxoricide.

Archived