How is Littlefinger able to broker a marriage between Harry Hardyng and Alayne Stone?

Angel Eyes

I wonder if Littlefinger even cares if certain people like Bronze Yohn or Myranda Royce suspect Alayne is Sansa. If Bronze Yohn found out that Littlefinger was protecting  Ned Stark's daughter he certainly would not reveal it to Cersei and it would probably push him closer to Littlefinger's side especially if Littlefinger dropped some hints about retaking the North or taking revenge on the Freys for Sansa.

10 minutes ago, Blackfish Tully said:

I wonder if Littlefinger even cares if certain people like Bronze Yohn or Myranda Royce suspect Alayne is Sansa. If Bronze Yohn found out that Littlefinger was protecting  Ned Stark's daughter he certainly would not reveal it to Cersei and it would probably push him closer to Littlefinger's side especially if Littlefinger dropped some hints about retaking the North or taking revenge on the Freys for Sansa.

I don't understand why folks assume that Bronze Yohn cares so much about Eddard Stark. I am sure he liked the lad when he was growing up at the Eyrie, and I know he guested at Winterfell when Waymar took the black, but would he go to war to restore House Stark? I think he wanted to join Robb because he believed that the Lannisters moved against Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon, and Eddard Stark, and I think he believes Petyr to be in league with the Lannisters. So, I agree that Bronze Yohn might be more accepting of Petyr if he believes that Petyr rescued Sansa from Cersei, but I still don't see him wanting to go to war to restore House Stark to Winterfell. 

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't understand why folks assume that Bronze Yohn cares so much about Eddard Stark. I am sure he liked the lad when he was growing up at the Eyrie, and I know he guested at Winterfell when Waymar took the black, but would he go to war to restore House Stark? I think he wanted to join Robb because he believed that the Lannisters moved against Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon, and Eddard Stark, and I think he believes Petyr to be in league with the Lannisters. So, I agree that Bronze Yohn might be more accepting of Petyr if he believes that Petyr rescued Sansa from Cersei, but I still don't see him wanting to go to war to restore House Stark to Winterfell. 

It's not just restoring House Stark that would motivate Bronze Yohn , the fact that he probably believes that the Lannister's killed Jon Arryn and is probably pretty upset with what happened to Robb Stark and may be feeling  that he should have helped Robb and the Tullys.against Tywin Lannister. Sansa Stark asking Bronze Yohn to help her right the wrongs that happened to her family will not be a small thing to someone who is as honor bound as Bronze Yohn .  Not to mention that Loras Tyrell killed his son and he will want payback for that . and you  might have an pretty easy chance for Littlefinger to get Bronze Yohn on his side 

3 hours ago, Blackfish Tully said:

It's not just restoring House Stark that would motivate Bronze Yohn , the fact that he probably believes that the Lannister's killed Jon Arryn and is probably pretty upset with what happened to Robb Stark and may be feeling  that he should have helped Robb and the Tullys.against Tywin Lannister. Sansa Stark asking Bronze Yohn to help her right the wrongs that happened to her family will not be a small thing to someone who is as honor bound as Bronze Yohn .  Not to mention that Loras Tyrell killed his son and he will want payback for that . and you  might have an pretty easy chance for Littlefinger to get Bronze Yohn on his side 

He would get payback against Loras and the Lannisters by marching on Winterfell, though, would he? 

6 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I agree.

I don’t see anyone in the Vale risking their positions, lands and wealth for the Starks, and I especially don’t see them accepting Sansa as leader of the Vale without having born an Arryn heir first. That would be at least 9 months from a marriage and I think Sansa’s marriage to Tyrion will hold out for quite a while, possibly through the rest of the series.

Robert Arryn and LF at present can disinherit any of the Vale lords. Making any moves like supporting the Starks extra risky when your heir is underage, erratic and in poor health and his heir is a flake who has no battle prowess and doesn’t inspire people to follow him. And Winter is about here which will make everyone even more cautious. LF would have to manipulate some event, something big, to rouse the Vale to follow Sansa and the Starks.

On 3/13/2018 at 4:51 PM, Son of Man said:

It is a mismatch but that's not the important question. Petyr's gold can open just about any door.  The question is really what LF wants.  

LF knows how to use women.  He has been using women to get ahead in life.  Which is funny because he's not particularly handsome.  But ok, so he knows how to use women and he knows when to discard them.  He used Lysa to get to Jon Arryn and moved up to become one of the most important members of Robert's council.  He used Lysa again and again.  He used Catelyn to trigger the war between the Starks and the Lannisters.  He used brothel women to build his personal fortunes.  LF is still playing the same game and singing the same tune with Sansa.  He is using her to get to the Hardyng boy.  Littlefinger disposes his tools when they're no longer useful.  

Sansa-Alayne is still singing the same song.  Once again, she's attracted to another asshole.  A handsome jerk with a potential to move up in the world, but a jerk nonetheless.  I think history will repeat itself and the Hardyng boy will drop Alayne after a few tumbles in the hay.  

Yup, I think it will end badly for Sansa. 

On 3/16/2018 at 10:10 PM, 867-5309 said:

Harry Hardyng just wants to get in her pants and test drive her for a while.  

I'm sorry to say, but you really don't get a political marriage lol  Yes, most men and women want sex but if sex along ruled the world, gods, old and new help us!  There are other things in play, such as ambition lol

4 hours ago, Allardyce said:

Yup, I think it will end badly for Sansa. 

Strongly disagree, it will end with his death! meaning Petyr.  He is bad to both men and women, he cares not but he overstimates his own wits!  Lady Alayne is not helpless and we shall see...

6 hours ago, Lollygag said:

I agree.

I don’t see anyone in the Vale risking their positions, lands and wealth for the Starks, and I especially don’t see them accepting Sansa as leader of the Vale without having born an Arryn heir first. That would be at least 9 months from a marriage and I think Sansa’s marriage to Tyrion will hold out for quite a while, possibly through the rest of the series.

Robert Arryn and LF at present can disinherit any of the Vale lords. Making any moves like supporting the Starks extra risky when your heir is underage, erratic and in poor health and his heir is a flake who has no battle prowess and doesn’t inspire people to follow him. And Winter is about here which will make everyone even more cautious. LF would have to manipulate some event, something big, to rouse the Vale to follow Sansa and the Starks.

Extremely good analysis but my wagger is on her marriage to Tyrion, whilst playing the part of a "marriageable maiden."

Now the Vale, pretty much at large, hate LF.  They gave him a year under economical duress lol  If he doesn't deliver by them, LF is out.   Now, as I said before, marrying her to Robin... could achieve all of the above.  I don't think it will  happen though.  I think Sansa will indirectly contact Tyrion and Dany...

They say it takes one to know one lol.  Myranda is shrewd, so is Tyrion, so is Sansa...

On 3/16/2018 at 11:19 PM, Nevets said:

Aw, thanks!

The first thing to remember about the vale storyline is that it is, first and foremost, Sansa's story.  She is the main player there, and its importance lies in the fact that she is there.  I think her story is (like that of Bran and Arya) a coming-of-age tale.  Her coming of age will, I think, involve becoming an actual player in the events of Westeros.  So, a few thoughts.

Marriage - I really don't see her marrying Harry or Aegon.  She has no interest at this time, and has a current marriage to use as a blocking method.  Also, I don't see Aegon lasting long enough.  I also think her story is going to be one of being able to get stuff done on her own, without having to go through anyone like a husband or guardian.  

Armies to the North - I think the Others are going to attack before too long; most likely by the middle of TWOW.  If that is indeed the case, I can envision Sansa rallying support for the fight against them - starting in the Vale.  I think this is the most likely reason to go North.  I'm not sure they would be willing to go just to put her in charge of Winterfell.  Side note: All roads to Winterfell (real and metaphorical) go through White Harbour.  Any contestant will need the Manderly's on their side.

Jeyne Poole - GRRM gave her whip marks for a reason ("Checkov's whip-marks", you might say).  They are going to have an effect in the future.  I am convinced of it, and Littlefinger is the only character I can think of that it would be likely to effect.  

Mad Mouse - I think he is what he appears: a free-lance looking for a payday.  Although I would be surprised if Varys doesn't have somebody keeping an eye on Littlefinger, if only to avoid nasty surprises.  

Sansa's disguise - Her disguise is a pretty thin one.  The convenient arrival of a natural daughter at the same time as the disappearance of Sansa Stark, whose description she somewhat matches, is going to be suspicious.  Myranda certainly knows, and I have my suspicions about Nestor, Bronze Yohn, and Lady Waynwood.

Hairnet - I doubt it will reappear, unless it is used to poison someone.  Producing it would implicate those who produce it, whether Sansa or Littlefinger.  Also, I doubt it would help Tyrion.  The fact that his wife took poison into the wedding only makes Tyrion look more guilty than he already does.  Side note: I expect that the Tyrells are under the impression that Sansa was an active member of the conspiracy.  I wonder how that will play out.

I agree and there is a clear "come of age" story especially with Sansa; hence both Harry and Myranda are there but I think she will sustain the political marriage she has and mayhaps for personal reasons, not just political ones... Although like you have expressed before, in time of peace her and the little Imp could be gorgeous at ruling!

Alayne ought to realise that, bastard or not, for instance, she is attractive, and even if just Petyr's daughter, rich!.  I think she will use that to the best of her ability.

Like you, I believe neither Robin, Harry or Aegon are for her.  Robin would make sense if LF is in charge, but only then. Okay, many would argue that Sansa rejected Tyrion as much as anyone, but the circumstances were well... he is a Lannister, and the Lannister in charge "theoretically" at the time but once she reflects...the guy went about his on business with his prostitutes et al but was kind... and clever... and like you, once she is known as Sansa, she will use her marriage to Tyrion as a seal.

Harry and Aegon are again good looking as Joff but less cruel for sure but not that much interesting besides.  Similar good looks and arrogance.  Granted, they are not Joff but in her mind, after that experience???  I don't think in a story like that what matters most is what she wants though.  She could want for a peasant for all we know...  I think George will pair her with someone worth her newly achieved political skills.

I keep going on that she is going to sell Harry to Myranda, with all the gold in Casterly or some lol unbeknownst to Sansa that Tyrion has given away a lot of the gold lol (but I have written on this too and I think Tyrion is not as useless as that).

As for the Others, okay, very different topic but hugely convinced the Others cannot attack WF.  I believe their leader is a Stark and the swords keep the old Kings in as much as out...  I believe the NK cannot attack his own easily (but huge different topic lol).  I guess they can siege WF or whatever but not attack the crypts (could well be wrong).  Much and more has been said about "kinslaying"  The NK is one of them!" (or so I believe... lol)

I agree with the rest but I think a number of people will bring Petyr down, with evidence or not unsure lol :)

11 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Now the Vale, pretty much at large, hate LF.  They gave him a year under economical duress lol  If he doesn't deliver by them, LF is out.   Now, as I said before, marrying her to Robin... could achieve all of the above.  I don't think it will  happen though.  I think Sansa will indirectly contact Tyrion and Dany...

i think it's a little strong to say the Vale Lord's hate Littlefinger . Why would any of them hate him ? some of them might not trust him or think he's not qualified or high born enough to be Lord Protector or are jealous that Lysa picked him over them but what would he have done for any of them to hate him?

1 hour ago, Blackfish Tully said:

i think it's a little strong to say the Vale Lord's hate Littlefinger . Why would any of them hate him ? some of them might not trust him or think he's not qualified or high born enough to be Lord Protector or are jealous that Lysa picked him over them but what would he have done for any of them to hate him?

I agree.  I would go further and say that LF is in 0 danger of being removed by Vale lords when the year is up.  Not only will LF likely be running day to day operations better than Lysa was, but between buying off certain lords having hostages in the form of the winged knights, and winter arriving, I think it would take a big kick to get the Vale lords to want or care enough to try to remove him.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:06 PM, Morgana Lannister said:

Yes LF uses women and men for that matter lol  Still, I think he was truly infatuated with Cat (which he now projects on Sansa) and that he sincerely feels very wronged (a bit a la Walder Frey) for the Tullys classing him as "beneath them."  As I said in my last post on this, I don't think she will discard Sansa if things go arse up (which are likely to do) but to formulate a new plan in which she features (could be forgetting about this possible betrothal and moving onto Robin/Sansa) even if she can only get the Vale and not WF.  One down in terms of kingdoms but one higher up that he would have been without this...

On the subject of Harry/Sansa I personally feel that George has been very ambiguous on purpose.  I didn't get the feeling that Sansa is infatuated with Harry at all.  Yes, she wants to seduce him (I believe without doing the deed) because that keeps LF sweet and she has nowhere to go for now and because hey, what teenage girl (or boy) doesn't want to feel desired!  Furthermore desired by the jerk who was so rude to her in public lol  I personally sense that Harry is more pawn than Sansa here, although he thinks it is the other way around.

It's not an exaggeration to say that I see things differently than you do.  Sansa is infatuated with Harry just like she was infatuated with Joffrey.  Harry, otoh, just wants to get laid.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:06 PM, Morgana Lannister said:

On the subject of Harry/Sansa I personally feel that George has been very ambiguous on purpose.  I didn't get the feeling that Sansa is infatuated with Harry at all.  Yes, she wants to seduce him (I believe without doing the deed) because that keeps LF sweet and she has nowhere to go for now and because hey, what teenage girl (or boy) doesn't want to feel desired!  Furthermore desired by the jerk who was so rude to her in public lol  I personally sense that Harry is more pawn than Sansa here, although he thinks it is the other way around.

I agree with this. I did a Sansa/Winds reread a few months back and she does not seem infatuated with Harry at all. He is basically a mission she must deal with (probably not unlike the strange mission her sister is also set to).

To me, it seems as though these points from TWOW show Sansa is not truly interested in HtH, among many other points. I also find the choice of wording the author uses here as quite interesting in regards to Sansa herself...

Spoiler

The Winds of Winter - Alayne I

"Well, I'm not. He may think he's some great knight, but Ser Lothor says he's just some upjumped squire."
Petyr put his arm around her. "So he is, but he is Robert's heir as well. Bringing Harry here was the first step in our plan, but now we need to keep him, and only you can do that. He has a weakness for a pretty face, and whose face is prettier than yours? Charm him. Entrance him. Bewitch him."
"I don't know how," she said miserably.
"Oh, I think you do," said Littlefinger, with one of those smiles that did not reach his eyes. "You will be the most beautiful woman in the hall tonight, as lovely as your lady mother at your age. I cannot seat you on the dais, but you'll have a place of honor above the salt and underneath a wall sconce. The fire will be shining in your hair, so everyone will see how fair of face you are. Keep a good long spoon on hand to beat the squires off, sweetling. You will not want green boys underfoot when the knights come round to beg you for your favor."

...and then...

Ser Harrold looked confused. "Please. One dance."
Charm him. Entrance him. Bewitch him. "If you insist."
He nodded, offered his arm, led her out onto the floor. As they waited for the music to resume, Alayne glanced at the dais, where Lord Robert sat staring at them. Please, she prayed, don't let him start to twitch and shake. Not here. Not now. Maester Coleman would have made certain that he drank a strong dose of sweetmilk before the feast, but even so.

10 hours ago, Blackfish Tully said:

I agree hate is probably too strong a word (my apologies I didn't word this correctly) and yes Lysa wasn't a very effective or even fair ruler at all.  I think there are different factions there.  He is paying some of their debts, so those who are benefiting they will support him for now.  Still, whatever Lysa was, they already suspected some foul play hence they interrogated Alayne about it.  I think some people, especially Yohn Bronze Royce are just biding their time to try and catch him on something.  Now, of course, a lot of it could depend on what happens with the food he is been hoarding.  If he provides the Vale with plenty he has a good chance of staying in power in the Vale.  It is a clever scheme in that, had they sold the supplies, come winter they would find themselves unable to eat coin lol  However, if the tribes or some enemy army or someone gets to the food supplies and they lose them that could change matters dramatically for him.  I know I have a bit of a "b" on the bonnet with the food and the Mountain Clans but they were portrayed extensively and around Tyrion for a while and I think they will re-appear in some capacity and the geographic location points in that direction to me once they are out of goats lol.

Another possible factor is the overall politics of the realm.  In theory at least LF is for now supporting Tommen with the Vale neutral from a military point of view.  Of course we have the trials of Cersei and Margaery coming up very shortly and depending how the wind blows he may switch allegiance.  My wager is that he may try to go over to Aegon if he gets the Iron Thorne and makes lots of promises (Aegon to the Vale).  On the other hand he could have offered to support Stannis (secretly) to get him to win against the Boltons but persuade him to let Sansa keep WF but it seems that the story has progressed too much by now for that sort of maneuver.  All things considered it would have been very risky to reveal her identity to Stannis who has a reputation for not compromising the truth and is not good at playing court games, so probably Stannis is out of the question as an ally to him.  Now, if he has any sense, as the story progresses and once Dany comes to Westeros, she is the strongest contender for the IT, has the numbers and the dragons.  If she allies with Aegon (which I think it is unlikely to rule long term) then there is no alternative for him.  However, re-reading book 2 at the moment and Tyrion knows that he framed him with the dagger, he is also likely to had figured out that he also framed him for Joffrey's death and although I think he is going to calm down a great deal (just like Arya eventually) in seeking revenge against some, I think LF is a special case where Tyrion is concerned lol.  If he gets a high position with Dany that is going to leave LF with very few likely successful candidates to back, which may leave the Lords of the Vale in a very precarious political situation.

4 hours ago, Son of Man said:

It's not an exaggeration to say that I see things differently than you do.  Sansa is infatuated with Harry just like she was infatuated with Joffrey.  Harry, otoh, just wants to get laid.

Well, one of the interesting thing about this series is that although we all have the same text there are very disparaging opinions among the readership as to characters motivations and many of them revolve around Sansa somehow.  I am going to stick to my guns for now but hey no disrespect and it may turn out that you are right but I think this character must have learnt something by now lol  Okay, yes she finds him pleasant to look upon but even before he was rude she wasn't 100% trusting of him.  I understand that she kind of prayed that he would like her at least a little and all that but it is not said that she is fantasising about a life with him or even the bedding, failing to do so would mean failing LF, which in present circumstances she cannot afford to do.  To me the backing for that is the reason why she lied to the Lords of the Vale re Lysa's death, i.e. because without LF's backing she could not guarantee their protection of her.  Again, hopefully the next book will tell.

4 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I agree with this. I did a Sansa/Winds reread a few months back and she does not seem infatuated with Harry at all. He is basically a mission she must deal with (probably not unlike the strange mission her sister is also set to).

To me, it seems as though these points from TWOW show Sansa is not truly interested in HtH, among many other points. I also find the choice of wording the author uses here as quite interesting in regards to Sansa herself...

Reveal hidden contents

The Winds of Winter - Alayne I

"Well, I'm not. He may think he's some great knight, but Ser Lothor says he's just some upjumped squire."
Petyr put his arm around her. "So he is, but he is Robert's heir as well. Bringing Harry here was the first step in our plan, but now we need to keep him, and only you can do that. He has a weakness for a pretty face, and whose face is prettier than yours? Charm him. Entrance him. Bewitch him."
"I don't know how," she said miserably.
"Oh, I think you do," said Littlefinger, with one of those smiles that did not reach his eyes. "You will be the most beautiful woman in the hall tonight, as lovely as your lady mother at your age. I cannot seat you on the dais, but you'll have a place of honor above the salt and underneath a wall sconce. The fire will be shining in your hair, so everyone will see how fair of face you are. Keep a good long spoon on hand to beat the squires off, sweetling. You will not want green boys underfoot when the knights come round to beg you for your favor."

...and then...

Ser Harrold looked confused. "Please. One dance."
Charm him. Entrance him. Bewitch him. "If you insist."
He nodded, offered his arm, led her out onto the floor. As they waited for the music to resume, Alayne glanced at the dais, where Lord Robert sat staring at them. Please, she prayed, don't let him start to twitch and shake. Not here. Not now. Maester Coleman would have made certain that he drank a strong dose of sweetmilk before the feast, but even so.

Totally with you here.  Now, do you see anything specific in the word "bewitch" other than well "seduce" him.  Just curious. ;)

On 3/13/2018 at 5:40 PM, Nevets said:

There is no necklace.  That was in the show.  She has a hairnet with poison crystals in it.  as far as anyone knows, she is still in possession of it.  Littlefinger's being poisoned by it is a distinct possibility, but killing soneone by poison can be risky, especially if you don't know what you're doing (and Sansa doesn't).

Curse this fibro! My memory seriously suffers during flares.

She saw what it did to Joffrey, so she knows what the result is. Not that risky as long as she has her cover story ready to go in advance. 

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Curse this fibro! My memory seriously suffers during flares.

She saw what it did to Joffrey, so she knows what the result is. Not that risky as long as she has her cover story ready to go in advance. 

I made the same mistake lol no worries; still necklace or hairnet the plot is the same.  I personally don't see Sansa poisoning someone.  Not because she is too moral to be above it but because poison is way too discreet and I think when she goes for blood she will want a "public show."  I think the theory that she will be instrumental (but not necessarily alone) in LF's downfall is very popular and very likely but I think it will be an execution following a public exposure of his crimes and how he had tried over and over again to frame them for his own crimes.  Hence I am hell bent on Tyrion, but maybe many others, joining in the fun.  If I were in her shoes or Tyrion's or even Robin's poison could seem like illness or it could have been anyone for any reason... frankly it would not satisfy me.  I know there are a lot of issues in terms of why hold a trial for him re say Joff or Lysa, who weren't great and the story has moved on, but I think LF's "victims" will have due retribution in terms of his crimes being publicly exposed.  As readers, some of us could mayhaps be contented to see him killed, but others would want that exposure, I think, very strongly!

On 3/13/2018 at 5:40 PM, Nevets said:

Sansa is unaware of Ramsay's marriage to Arya - real or fake.  I expect Myranda Royce will be happy to tell her, though, and test her reaction.:P  She has no idea what happened to Jeyne Poole, either, and is unlikely to be happy about it if she finds out. As for Ramsay, I expect him to be dead well before Arya is back in Westeros.  Nor do I expect Arya to become an assassin,, either.  She hasn't the training for it, and given the events of the preview chapter, is unlikely to stay long enough to get it.

I expect that when she does leave the Vale, it will be for the North.  She can safely reveal herself there, as the Crown's authority doesn't really extend there, and the accusations of involvement in Joffrey's murder would likely be to her benefit, and not to her detriment.  And if Cersei is out of power, she can probably reveal herself in the Vale, as well.  I doubt she will go to KL.  There is nothing for her there,, except bad memories.

He can't be. Not when GRRM has so beautifully set up how he'll die, and Arya's involvement in it!

Their authority doesn't but Cersei could hire an assassin. And she absolutely would. Hopefully not one of the Faceless Men, though that would be a convenient way to get Arya back to the North. :D I've been wanting her to foil an FM assassination on a high-level mark.

There's an annulment. She can't get one without personally requesting it. The only ways to do so are through the High Septon himself, or a council of the Faith. I doubt they have councils of the Faith in the Vale or the North, and the HS is in KL. While she could keep her marriage to Tyrion, she could also ditch it once she's out of LF's or anyone else's power and have the freedom to choose her own husband--or choose no husband.

Archived