Interstellar Weirwood Conspiracy

4 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Jon mentions them several times in the story, and I think Ygritte does too. The Faith of the Seven considers them sacred and equates each one with a god.

What if:  

1: Mercury is Warrior

2: Venus morningstar is the Maiden

3: Venus evenstar is the Mother

4:Mars is the Smith (red wanderer) (Ares)

5:Jupiter is the Father (Jupiter)

6:Saturn is the Crone (Cronus)

7:Darkstar is the Stranger (The damaged spaceship of the Great Empire still in our solar system, or an asteroid)

1 hour ago, Bitterblooms said:

But it would be a mistake to say, "I'm right, this is what the book means, case closed," at least, unless the author comes out and says it. 

I get what you are saying, and I certainly don't want to be mistaken for a dogmatist, the case is never closed, J.S. Mill says "The beliefs which we have most warrant for, have no safeguard to rest on, but a standing invitation to the whole world to prove them unfounded."

I was just trying to come up with a scheme for organizing his 2 million words of text.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

And who is he then? :)

I think the 3-eyed crow is probably the Night King.  If Loki steers the "ship of the dead" and his animal is the Crow and he is the trickster,and he is a powerful skinchanger and greenseer. 

In the TV show he tricked Bran into breaking the ward on Bloodraven's cave so that he could keep Bran from getting permanently sucked into the net (the seeds they fed him would have grown and bound him in place?, attempted binding of Fenrir) , and he tricked Jon into bringing him a dragon. He sent the bogus visions in the flame.

He has a grudge against the weirwood, he destroyed the one with the stone whorl around it where he got made, and he presumably destroyed Bloodraven's tree too after killing Bloodraven.

At least that is what I have so far.

4 hours ago, Megorova said:

Probably when GRRM was writting ASOIAF, he didn't tried to make Planetos identical to Earth, even though he used it as basis. Also maybe he didn't used too detailed informations for his references. Majority know what planets there are in Solar System, and how many of them there are. But I don't think, that out of that majority, everyone is aware of which of those planets are visible by naked eye, and which could be seen only thru telescope. So maybe GRRM didn't knew, or didn't remembered, or didn't cared, about how many of Solar System's planets are visible without telescope. But he decided that seven is a good number, he used it as a central number for one of created by him fictional religions, and thus he also wrote about seven planets. So even though only five of our planets are visible, it doesn't prove that Planetos isn't based on Earth.  

Sure it's possible. When there are tales about moons splitting in half and dragons flying out, anything is possible. But I think it's a stretch to say that Martin knows the ancient Babylonians could see five planets in the sky but he doesn't know that the last two gas giants were discovered in the 18th and 19th centuries. That's junior high science.

And logically, if Westerosi telescopes could see Uranus and Neptune, they would also be able to see the moons of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, plus Saturn's rings, but we never hear any mention of these. Again, not proof of anything, but not confirmation either.

And I never said Planetos isn't based on Earth; it clearly is. It's just that the astronomical differences pretty much rule it out unless Martin is planning some kind of reveal about either the past or the future, but what would be the point?

3 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Uhhhh, what about our 5 visible planets + sun & moon to arrive at 7 heavenly wanderers?    Not that I'm invested in the Earth- or- Not? part of this.

Doubtful. The sun is called the sun and the moon is called the moon by everybody in book. Wanderers are called wanderers to differentiate them from other stars.

2 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

What if:  

7:Darkstar is the Stranger (The damaged spaceship of the Great Empire still in our solar system, or an asteroid)

Morning Venus and evening Venus; that's an interesting take, although it wasn't hard for our own ancients to realize it was the same star, so I don't see why Planetosi could not do the same.

I would put Mercury as the Smith and Mars as the Warrior. Mars being larger and red, the color of blood, would suggest warfare, which is probably why it was assigned to the God of War by the Greeks and Romans.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

I would put Mercury as the Smith and Mars as the Warrior. Mars being larger and red, the color of blood, would suggest warfare, which is probably why it was assigned to the God of War by the Greeks and Romans.

I was going by what the wiki said "The red wanderer is one of the seven wanderers visible in the sky over the known world. Coloured red, it is associated with the Smith god by the Faith of the Seven"

No doubt that the maester's know the morningstar and evenstar are one planet, but if the Faith of the Seven have built their religion around them being separate, then it could still be taught that way just to emphasize the Maiden/Mother story.

The more I think about it the more I think the Stranger is the Great Empire Spaceship (the Lion of Night).  " the Stranger represents death and the unknown. the wanderer from far places, less and more than human, unknown and unknowable. The Stranger's face has also been described as half-human, concealed beneath a hooded mantle."

"the Stranger's face is a black oval, a shadow with stars for eyes."

I think it is a totally black spaceship (fused black stone material), perhaps with two lights on it.  It can be seen from Earth only when it travels in front of other known planets and stars that it then blocks out.  It has to be very big, almost planet sized.

Sandor Clegane's horse was named Stranger, and he refers to himself as a Stranger that may kill people in their sleep.

If you treat the fight between The Mountain and Oberyn as a mythologized retelling (LML) of when the Stranger spaceship blocked out the sun during the Long Night, and at the end of the Long Night was then hit by multiple small red comets, and then left orbit.  Then the Mountain's little brother with the burned face riding the Stranger is the same damaged spaceship returned to Earth. 

I think the Dragonbinder Horn called it back, it was a remote control.  This is how Euron will darken the sky.  It will park itself close enough to the planet to block out the sun.

Sandor is called the Hound.  First he followed (hounded) Joffrey the Sun, then he followed Sansa (Venus morningstar), then Arya (Mercury), the fact that both girls lost their wolves is probably a reference to when the Stranger drifted away from them.  Arya's friend Mycah that the hound cuts in half might be that missing 7th planet, "Mycah has been cut up in so many pieces that his body was brought back to his father in a bag" sounds a lot like planetary debris.  Some of which could be trailing the Stranger (the guilt is following him)(see also the Book of Micah from the Bible*)

The fight between the Hound and Beric when the Hound breaks Berics flaming sword and kills him might be the Stranger passing in front of the Red Comet, because Beric is immediately brought back to life.  Then Sandor abandons his hound helm, he is no longer dogging a planet.  But he is coming our way, get ready.  But Sandor's redemption arc will have him be the good guy this time and maybe solve our weirwood infestation.

*in which Micah prophesies God destroying us for our evil ways, but that civilization will be rebuilt. 

Look! The Lord is coming from his dwelling place;
    he comes down and treads on the heights of the earth.
The mountains melt beneath him
    and the valleys split apart,
like wax before the fire,
    like water rushing down a slope.
All this is because of Jacob’s transgression,
    because of the sins of the people of Israel.

Therefore I will make Samaria a heap of rubble,
    a place for planting vineyards.
I will pour her stones into the valley
    and lay bare her foundations.
 All her idols will be broken to pieces;
    all her temple gifts will be burned with fire;
    I will destroy all her images.
Since she gathered her gifts from the wages of prostitutes,
    as the wages of prostitutes they will again be used.”

For Samaria’s plague is incurable;
    it has spread to Judah.

Therefore, the Lord says:

“I am planning disaster against this people,
    from which you cannot save yourselves.

Then they will cry out to the Lord,
    but he will not answer them.
At that time he will hide his face from them
    because of the evil they have done.

The God on Earth was the only begotten son of the Maiden-made-of-Light (moon) and the Lion of Night (Stranger).  It was his spaceship

This also ties up the Nibiru 9th planet idea from the Annunaki pseudohistory story.  It wasn't a planet it was a spaceship. 

8 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

When there are tales about moons splitting in half and dragons flying out, anything is possible.

No, not moons. Just one moon. Second moon in the sky, cracked like an egg, and dragons came from there. I think that this second moon was actually a giant spaceship, or cosmic station. And dragons were either breeded, or artificially created there. In one of GRRM's sci-fi series, there was a giant ship, so big, that inside of it, there was an entire collection of various spaceships, and a big collection of different species in a zoo, millions of different animals. The series was called something like Tuf's voyaging.

So I think that dragons and their original masters, those that brought dragons to Valyrians, and tought them how to bind them, were aliens from that spaceship. And that spaceship is probably still there, in stealth mode. It's invisible, but it's casting a huge shadow on land underneath, and thus those lands are called Shadow Lands, near Asshai. And the legend about origin of dragons, and about that second moon is also from Asshai. So could be that people of Asshai, in ancient times, saw a catastrophe that happened on that spaceship, and saw that it was supposedly scalded by sun and cracked, but actually there was an explosion on that ship/station. And when ship's outer walls were damaged, the dragons escaped thru those cracks. Either escaped, or were evacuated by their masters.

Or could be that their ship, that was from some sort of Fire planet, was attacked by another ship, this one from the Ice planet. On the Fire ship to Planetos came proto-Valyrians, and on the Ice ship the Others. They attacked the Fire ship, and destroyed it, but dragons and their masters managed to escape to a nearby planet. So that spaceship above Shadow lands, is actually an Ice ship of the Others. And on this Ice ship is working terraforming device, that affect climate of Planetos, and disturb natural flow of seasons on the planet.

6 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

he Stranger represents death and the unknown. the wanderer from far places,

Alien from another planet.

6 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

The Stranger's face has also been described as half-human, concealed beneath a hooded mantle."

"the Stranger's face is a black oval, a shadow with stars for eyes."

That looks like a space helmet. Not one of those round, more like a fullface mask, with "glass" eyes. Like mask of that guy from movie Guardians of the Galaxy.

On 3/10/2018 at 8:30 AM, Megorova said:

And that spaceship is probably still there, in stealth mode. It's invisible, but it's casting a huge shadow on land underneath, and thus those lands are called Shadow Lands, near Asshai.

I am more inclined to believe that they are just clouds, because the Weirwood can control weather, so maybe the Bloodstone Emperor could control weather too, and he likes it cloudy for the ambiance.

In the Book of Micah there is also a reference to a mountain hideout

In the last days

the mountain of the Lord’s temple will be established
    as the highest of the mountains;
it will be exalted above the hills,
    and peoples will stream to it.

King Sweet Robin confirmed.

Oh, and if Oberyn represents the Weirwood Comet (His color is Red, and Martel means "war hammer" in French), then the stuff about Oberyn being so mad at The Mountain for killing his sister and her children, is probably the Weirwood Comet being pissed at the Great Empire people for eradicating part of the Weirwood network on Earth, and her Children (of the Forest).

And "donder" means "thunder" in Dutch, Beric Dondarrian (Reddish hair, sigil is lightning on a field of stars) is the Red Comet sent to kill The Mountain, but gets killed himself repeatedly, but keeps coming back to life?  What's that mean?  If the Milky Way is thought of as a river, and the Mountain was "attacking the riverlands" (the Stranger was in the vicinity of the Milky Way) and that was when the Red Comets hit it, that makes sense.

On 3/10/2018 at 8:30 AM, Megorova said:

It's invisible, but it's casting a huge shadow on land underneath, and thus those lands are called Shadow Lands, near Asshai.

I take it back, I think you are right that there are at least two spaceships.  The Mountain is the bigger ship which caused the Long Night, lost its head and is now a zombie (no one on board) and the Hound the smaller ship with a burned face that is coming to save us from his brother (someone is on board, but has been in hibernation?).  The Mountain that rides is hovering nearby messing up our seasons.

The story about the Mountain burning Sandor's face for playing with his Knights is some reference to Sandor trying to intervene to stop his brother during the Long Night.  "playing with his Knights"

Clegane-bowl Confirmed.

Who is the Clegane sister?  Was she the Qartheen moon (female) that got completely obliterated by the Weirwood Comet during the reign of the Bloodstone Emperor?

3 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

The Mountain is the bigger ship which caused the Long Night, lost its head and is now a zombie (no one on board) and the Hound the smaller ship with a burned face that is coming to save us from his brother (someone is on board, but has been in hibernation?). 

I think that if original masters of dragons, mixed their genes with first Valyrians, then Valyrians could be able to control that spaceship. This is what Quaithe said to Dany (last chapter in ADWD): "To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward, you must go back. To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow." So basically Dany needs to go to Asshai, and that thing that is casting the shadow, and she has to "touch the light". Which probably means that she has to touch some computer panel, that will analize her DNA, confirm that she is dragonlord, and thus she will get access to spaceship's mother board, and will be able to switch off that terraforming device. Or maybe even control the Others, if they are some sort of bio-robots, based on ice-technology. Or maybe Planetos is doomed, and it will be completely overtaken by the Others and their zombies. Thus the only way for people to survive, is to board that spaceship, and fly away to some other planet.

And then, after they left, the Ice Age happened, millions years passed, everything on the planet died, incluring the Others and White Walkers, and now that planet is Earth. Could be that this is what GRRM is intending to reveal in the end. ^_^ 

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow." So basically Dany needs to go to Asshai, and that thing that is casting the shadow, and she has to "touch the light".

Since I think Quaithe is an agent of the Weirwood, I am skeptical of what she says, and prophesy in general, because it is the Weirwood's way of manipulating people.  I personally think Dany is a villain (mother of monsters) rather than a hero , but I haven't given it too much thought.  If her dragons are little spaceships, simply approaching The Mountain might activate it and open the pod bay doors.  "Tough the light" means going inside?  Maybe they need her to open the door so they can try to hi-jack it?

I am thinking the end game is that Sandor the Stranger Spaceship (God on Earth is still the Captain?) comes back, Ragnarok has killed mostly everyone, total chaos, Bran has killed the Weirwood, humans have taken refuge in the Eyrie, Sandor kills the Mountain, cleans up the mess his people made, destroys all the Black Fused Stone structures, whole Earth is flooded (perhaps by the Mycah debris he accidentally brought?), all evidence is wiped away, the Stranger apologizes and promises this will never happen again (God's covenant with Noah), and departs (does Bran join him?), and humans are left to rebuild civilization.  The time scale is that this all happened within the last 10,000ish years or so, based on the fact that Vega was the north star at the time.

One of Bran's greendreams (AGoT's Bran III) perhaps gives support to the two spaceships hypothesis:

One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

The Hound, the Sun, and the Mountain blocking them both. 

There was also this line:

He saw Maester Luwin on his balcony, studying the sky through a polished bronze tube and frowning as he made notes in a book.

Did Luwin know the Stranger was coming?

Two astronomical references that are presented while Bran is falling (like a meteor) to Earth.

Also, the Clegane sigil is 3 black dogs on a field of yellow.  Three black dogs whose nature it is to block out the sun (Hound, Mountain, and dead sister are the three Great Empire Ships)

Change of subject, but in that same dream what did Bran see in the heart of winter?

When Bran cries:

North and north and north he looked, to the curtain of light at the end of the world, and then beyond that curtain. He looked deep into the heart of winter, and then he cried out, afraid, and the heat of his tears burned on his cheeks.

Now you know, the crow whispered as it sat on his shoulder. Now you know why you must live.

His element is ICE, the so body temperature tears seemed very hot.

When Daenarys cries:

She should weep, she knew, yet her eyes were dry as ash. She had wept in her dream, and the tears had turned to steam on her cheeks.

Her element is FIRE, the tears turned to steam.

Bran sees what is in the heart of winter, is afraid, then they point out that his element is ICE, then the 3-eyed crow says "Now you know why you must live.  Because winter is coming." 

I think that line implies that it is something very specific to Bran being ICE was seen in the vision, and not just a general threat.  If it was just the undead army, it would be like showing a little kid a picture of Hitler leading an army and saying "Now you know why you must live."  The kid would be like "What? I am just a little kid, what does this have to do with me?"  But if he showed the kid a picture of the kid himself leading an army and said "Now you know why you must live."  That would make sense, because you need to be alive to do what you are seeing yourself do in the future.

I think Bran sees himself grown up in the vision leading an army of the undead and that is what freaks him out.  Bran is ice, ice is winter, winter is coming, Bran is coming.

More Sandor as the Stranger spaceship imagery (credit to guy on reddit who made this list)

Clegane cast a long shadow across the hard-packed earth as his squire lowered the black helm over his head.”

“A shadow fell across his face.  He turned to find Clegane looming overhead like a cliff. His soot-dark armor seemed to blot out the sun.”

Sandor Clegane seemed to take form out of the night, so quickly did he appear.”

“'I'll tell you what it was, girl,' he said, a voice from the night, a shadow leaning so close now that she could smell the sour stench of wine on his breath.”

A shadow detached itself from the shadow of the wall, to become a tall man in dark grey armor.”

“Then something stirred behind her, and a hand reached out of the dark and grabbed her wrist.”

“They passed a dozen brothers of the order on their way up; cowled men in dun-and-brown"..."they passed a lichyard where a brother bigger than Brienne was struggling to dig a grave. From the way he moved, it was plain to see that he was lame.

Brienne is the moon maiden (LML).  Sandor is the lamed gravedigger, that is why he can't get to Earth quick enough to help. 

Another guy on reddit:

"Crow’s Eye, you call me. Well, who has a keener eye than the crow?"

The books indeed make a frequent mention of Euron’s eye. Is Euron implying he sees something others don’t, at least not yet? What does he see?

"A crow can espy death from afar."

You have already guessed where I am heading with it. Euron is talking in no uncertain terms: Something is approaching our world. And I see it. This something brings death to our world. Where can he see it? In the air? In the sea? No reason to think that (there could be something in the sees stirring with the approach of the Dark Object,

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:46 PM, By Odin's Beard said:

I was going by what the wiki said "The red wanderer is one of the seven wanderers visible in the sky over the known world. Coloured red, it is associated with the Smith god by the Faith of the Seven"

No doubt that the maester's know the morningstar and evenstar are one planet, but if the Faith of the Seven have built their religion around them being separate, then it could still be taught that way just to emphasize the Maiden/Mother story.

You're right, we get that from Jon:

Jon III, SoS

The King's Crown was the Cradle, to hear her tell it; the Stallion was the Horned Lord; the red wanderer that septons preached was sacred to their Smith up here was called the Thief.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever noticed how prismatic crystals play a large role in ceremonies like marriages and such? Out of one beam of white light, prisms create seven basic colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Same as a rainbow.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, Megorova said:

No, not moons. Just one moon. Second moon in the sky, cracked like an egg, and dragons came from there. I think that this second moon was actually a giant spaceship, or cosmic station. And dragons were either breeded, or artificially created there. In one of GRRM's sci-fi series, there was a giant ship, so big, that inside of it, there was an entire collection of various spaceships, and a big collection of different species in a zoo, millions of different animals. The series was called something like Tuf's voyaging.

So I think that dragons and their original masters, those that brought dragons to Valyrians, and tought them how to bind them, were aliens from that spaceship. And that spaceship is probably still there, in stealth mode. It's invisible, but it's casting a huge shadow on land underneath, and thus those lands are called Shadow Lands, near Asshai. And the legend about origin of dragons, and about that second moon is also from Asshai. So could be that people of Asshai, in ancient times, saw a catastrophe that happened on that spaceship, and saw that it was supposedly scalded by sun and cracked, but actually there was an explosion on that ship/station. And when ship's outer walls were damaged, the dragons escaped thru those cracks. Either escaped, or were evacuated by their masters.

Or could be that their ship, that was from some sort of Fire planet, was attacked by another ship, this one from the Ice planet. On the Fire ship to Planetos came proto-Valyrians, and on the Ice ship the Others. They attacked the Fire ship, and destroyed it, but dragons and their masters managed to escape to a nearby planet. So that spaceship above Shadow lands, is actually an Ice ship of the Others. And on this Ice ship is working terraforming device, that affect climate of Planetos, and disturb natural flow of seasons on the planet.

lol, all I can say is have fun with it.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:51 PM, By Odin's Beard said:

What if:  

I really like the idea of Morningstar vs Evenstar- it is important enough to play out in such dualities as Evenfall and Morne (Dorne/Dawn?) and the Swords Dawn and Nightfall.

I suspect that the Maiden might be the Evenstar, the Amethyst Empress usurped by the Morningstar (Lightbringer) the Bloodstone Emperor who is not represented in the Faith of the Seven but who is R'hlorr.

1 hour ago, hiemal said:

I suspect that the Maiden might be the Evenstar, the Amethyst Empress usurped by the Morningstar (Lightbringer) the Bloodstone Emperor who is not represented in the Faith of the Seven but who is R'hlorr.

I think R'hllor is just an aspect of the Weirwood game, the fiery civilization-ending aspect.  He kills the green man, and ends civilization, but he is supposed to do it in an orderly way, such that civilization can be rebuilt afterwards.  And he repels the Chaos Serpent with his magical spear and in doing so brings the Dawn.  He is Set from Egyptian mythology.

I was saving this for my section on Norse mythology, but I think Drogon is Surtr (the Black) from Norse Ragnarok whose role is to just burn and destroy everything (his flame is Lightbringer?). In Norse mythology Freyr has a magical sword that fights on its own, I think Daenarys is Freyr, and Drogon is her magical sword.  They are both "R'hllor" but are being manipulated into this role by the Weirwood.

The Bloodstone Emperor is Euron is Jormungandr is the Chaos Serpent (Apep), the uncontrolled destructive madness aspect of the Weirwood.  He brings the Darkness (should have a dark sword that drinks the light?)  I am thinking he will be killed by Drogon, and Drogon and Daenarys will kill each other (Drogo was undefeated in battle, so Drogon will not be defeated in battle either, he will have to be euthanized by his own mother).

50 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

I think R'hllor is just an aspect of the Weirwood game, the fiery civilization-ending aspect.  He kills the green man, and ends civilization, but he is supposed to do it in an orderly way, such that civilization can be rebuilt afterwards.  And he repels the Chaos Serpent with his magical spear and in doing so brings the Dawn.  He is Set from Egyptian mythology.

I was saving this for my section on Norse mythology, but I think Drogon is Surtr (the Black) from Norse Ragnarok whose role is to just burn and destroy everything (his flame is Lightbringer?). In Norse mythology Freyr has a magical sword that fights on its own, I think Daenarys is Freyr, and Drogon is her magical sword.  They are both "R'hllor" but are being manipulated into this role by the Weirwood.

The Bloodstone Emperor is Euron is Jormungandr is the Chaos Serpent (Apep), the uncontrolled destructive madness aspect of the Weirwood.  He brings the Darkness (should have a dark sword that drinks the light?)  I am thinking he will be killed by Drogon, and Drogon and Daenarys will kill each other (Drogo was undefeated in battle, so Drogon will not be defeated in battle either, he will have to be euthanized by his own mother).

I like your thinking so far. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Had a dream about this and it woke me up early--I think the Weirwood's can build up pressure below ground and cause a volcanic erruption to eject the trees above ground into space.  We already suspect that the Faceless Men/Weirwood caused the 14 Flames to Erupt (Doom of Valyria).  That is why High Heart is such a big hill with trees on top of it, it was getting ready to pop.  Maybe that is what happened at Hardhome, it was a successful eruption, and the caves in the cliff wall were the caves and tunnels under the trees, and the screams coming from the tunnels are the plugged-in Children who were left behind and are dying when their trees abandoned them.

Oberyn is a kind of Red Comet, but he is really a series of Weirwood Trees that were launched from the Earth at the Mountain Spaceship to destroy it.  Weirwood is often used for making bows, spears, and arrows, so there is an association between Weirwood and projectile weapons.

The spear was turned ash eight feet long, the shaft smooth, thick, and heavy. The last two feet of that was steel: a slender leaf-shaped spearhead narrowing to a wicked spike.

Oberyn's spear is described like a tree, it's wood shaft with a leaf on it, and it is a deadly poisonous weapon.  And almost all the spear thrusts are described as hitting the Mountain's underside.  Which if the Mountain is a spaceship hovering over Earth, that makes sense.

Then there is the quote from Doran

“He was so fierce, even as a boy. Quick as a water snake. I oft saw him topple boys much bigger than himself. He reminded me of that the day he left for King's Landing. He swore that he would do it one more time, else I would never have let him go."

"Let him go" as in "Let him leave the planet"  Oberyn's attack on the Mountain was a suicide mission, that greatly diminished the power of the Weirwood network.  But they both thought it was worth the risk, this being the only way to get rid of that damn spaceship.  He successfully disabled it (I don't think it can fire anymore, and there is the repetition in the text of the Mountain being "unhorsed" so I don't think it can travel very far), but it is still around and will blot out the sun again soon.

One a related note, all of Dorne seems to be a metaphor for the Weirwood.  In a previous post I mentioned the Red Viper Oberyn Martell ("hammer" or "war hammer") was a Red Comet, and his sister and her "Children" were a portion of the Weirwood that was destroyed by Great Empire people.  Then I looked into Doran Martell--his name means "they brown" in spanish, and he is very sickly.  That is why magic had disappeared from the world at the beginning of the story and why Ragnarok needed to happen again--the Weirwood had gotten sick and old, and needed an infusion of new blood and energy.  The Red Comet coming back around woke it up and temporarily revitalized it, but it needs that new blood, because it has used up the power of its victims.

This place belongs to the old gods still ... they linger here as I do, shrunken and feeble but not yet dead.

If the Warlocks are a parallel

Dany had laughed when he told her. "Was it not you who told me warlocks were no more than old soldiers, vainly boasting of forgotten deeds and lost prowess?"

Other things indicating that Dorne is the Weirwood: "dorne" means "thorn"

In Norse mythology the Svefnthorn ("Sleep thorn") was used to put an adversary into a deep sleep from which he or she wouldn’t awaken for a long time.

Suggestive name places: Starfall (and the Dayne sword is a meteor), Sunspear, Bloodstone Island, Brimstone river ("to send horror or destruction "), Skyreach, Greenblood river, Ghost Hill, "hammer of the waters", Sandship, Storm Kings, Torrentine (foreshadowing the Flood), House Fowler (birdcatcher), Hellholt (is named after an event in which rivals were invited to the castle, locked within, and burned to death)

Dorne was never successfully invaded.

Areo Hotah has white hair, was enslaved to protect Doran, and has a brand on his chest--he is a white walker.

The Water Gardens is the Isle of Faces, where sick and dying Doran lives, maybe he is the only one left of the 3 Fates.  It has "numerous pools and fountains" and is "shaded by blood orange trees"  "Children from all stations and areas of Dorne are sent to the Water Gardens to foster, where they play together at the beach, pools and fountains, and in the water."  I think those are Children of the Forest.

Sunspear is a walled settlement, protected by three massive Winding Walls, encircling one another and containing miles of narrow alleys, hidden courts, and noisy bazaars. The Threefold Gate, where the gates are lined up one behind the other, avoids the labyrinth, instead allowing straight passage on a brick path to the Old Palace.

One of Sunspear's chief structures is the original stronghold of House Martell, the Sandship, which is a large, ugly, dun-colored (light brown) building that looks like a dromond (ship). Over time, towers in Rhoynish fashion sprung up around the keep. Two other chief structures are the tall and slender Spear Tower and the great, domed Tower of the Sun. The Spear Tower is a hundred and a half feet high, and can house noble prisoners; In the Tower of the Sun, the high seats of the Prince of Dorne can be found: two twin seats, one with the Martell spear inlaid in gold upon its back, the other bearing the blazing Rhoynish sun. These two towers are the first things visitors see when they arrive at Sunspear, whether by land or by sea.

The Sandship is the asteroid that the Weirwood arrived on, the "city" (forest) built up around the spot,  The Threefold Gate refers to the 3 barriers (or magical wards) to get to the Isle of Faces over land and water.  The Labyrinth spiral refers to the underground caves that lead to the Isle of Faces. and is a pretty clear reference to Quetzcoatl's Wind Breastplate Jewel.  Look at the maze carving from the Dragonstone Cave. (Lorath has a maze that leads to the underworld).  Two towers are the Big Tree (Yggdrasil the world tree) where "noble prisoners" are kept, and the Norns live there.

Archived