All possible explanations for "Seed is strong"

12 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

This is a good topic to which no-one has yet fathomed the answer!

I think it refers to Jon Arryn figuring out on his deathbed, (1) that Robert Arryn wasn't his son (2) that he'd been cuckolded by Lysa and Littlefinger and (3) the identity of his murderer as he lay dying.  Being GRRM, he had to give us a 'Rosebud'-worthy deathbed line...

P.S. Contrary to popular belief, the line has nothing to do with the Baratheon/Lannister bastards!  People don't tend to think of other people's bastards as they lay dying; they contemplate their own.

For extra credit, symbolically-speaking: 'strong' means 'stark' (hence, 'Stark') in German.  Make of that what you will (or not).

I agree with the first bolded part and disagree with the second bolded part.

Are you people serious? Does there really need to be another meaning for "The seed is strong". I think it was all about Robert's bastards and how they all had the same dark hair, the same Baratheon features. Nothing more. It doesn't even seem to be a matter of opinion or speculation at this point, why can't it just be as obvious as it was?

7 minutes ago, Olorin81 said:

Are you people serious? Does there really need to be another meaning for "The seed is strong". I think it was all about Robert's bastards and how they all had the same dark hair, the same Baratheon features. Nothing more. It doesn't even seem to be a matter of opinion or speculation at this point, why can't it just be as obvious as it was?

Agreed. 

I think this is what happens when there is so much time between books

I'll throw my support behind those that are saying that Jon Arryn was referring to the Baratheon Bastards and their dark eyes.  There is no reason to second guess this explanation. (Although one wonders why he couldn't just say the words rather than speaking in code on his death bed)

14 minutes ago, Olorin81 said:

It is a symptom among the readership to question everything and speculate madly about hidden meanings and theories throughout the books, brought upon them through waiting too many years for the next book.  In this case I am happy that the OP was kept way down below the 10,000 to 20,000 words that often go along with this kind of query. 

28 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

It is a symptom among the readership to question everything and speculate madly about hidden meanings and theories throughout the books, brought upon them through waiting too many years for the next book.  In this case I am happy that the OP was kept way down below the 10,000 to 20,000 words that often go along with this kind of query. 

Yeah I guess, but if there were hidden meanings in every little thing like this it seems to me that it would over complicate a story that already has so many characters, so many plotlines going. Yeah why complicate things more?

Archived