NBA 2018 - Soup's on!

Jaime L

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They don't play sneaky good defense. They've been one of the best defensive teams in the league for a few years now. 

They had something like the 11th ranked defense in the league this year. Not amazing, but sneaky good. They arent as good a defensive team as they were a couple of years ago. 

Anyway you should be willing to back up your words with a bet. Im all ears. 

Oh man, okc. Another loss, this is surely going to be too much, the Jazz are definitely winning one of the next three.

On the one hand this is so expected after a miserable OKC season where they never looked good.

But I thought they would probably be able to turn it on in the playoffs. They will probably salvage a home win next game but after that....

4 hours ago, Relic said:

They had something like the 11th ranked defense in the league this year. Not amazing, but sneaky good. They arent as good a defensive team as they were a couple of years ago. 

Anyway you should be willing to back up your words with a bet. Im all ears. 

I haven’t looked at their stats for this year, but they’ve been misleading in the past. When you look at points per 100 possessions, they are a dominate defense.

And normally I’d say it’s title bet time, but a poster who will remain unnamed broke the sacred pact of the title bet, so we cannot proceed.

@Pony Empress Jace

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Oh man, okc. Another loss, this is surely going to be too much, the Jazz are definitely winning one of the next three.

On the one hand this is so expected after a miserable OKC season where they never looked good.

But I thought they would probably be able to turn it on in the playoffs. They will probably salvage a home win next game but after that....

Minny and OKC were the two most talented teams last night, but their total inability to play team ball makes sure they’re doomed from the start. When will teams learn that ISO ball is dead?

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I haven’t looked at their stats for this year, but they’ve been misleading in the past. When you look at points per 100 possessions, they are a dominate defense.

And normally I’d say it’s title bet time, but a poster who will remain unnamed broke the sacred pact of the title bet, so we cannot proceed.

@Pony Empress Jace

Minny and OKC were the two most talented teams last night, but their total inability to play team ball makes sure they’re doomed from the start. When will teams learn that ISO ball is dead?

The Rockets run more Iso than anybody.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

The Rockets run more Iso than anybody.

While that’s true in one regard, it’s also true that they pass out of the ISO a lot, which is why Harden averaged so many assists last year and he again combined with Paul did so this year. And they do rotate the ball really well. My frustration is that the Wolves don’t do any of that. It’s all one man ISO ball and you know once someone calls their number, they will not pass. Only the bigs move the ball, which is kind of odd.

I hate when the NBA has two playoff games on at the same time.  Both Cavs v Pacers and Wiz v Dinosaurs Trendy in the 90’s are closely contested and both in the mid third quarter.

:tantrum: 

41 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I hate when the NBA has two playoff games on at the same time.  Both Cavs v Pacers and Wiz v Dinosaurs Trendy in the 90’s are closely contested and both in the mid third quarter.

Agreed.  Wizards @ Toronto is getting most of my attention.  Raptors don't deserve that 1 seed.

P.S. I'm getting really tired of these Sprite ads with Morgan Freeman lip synching Missy Elliot.

52 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I hate when they air playoff games on NBA TV, a channel I don't have.

Weird final sequence for LeBron, eh? He gets a turnover because he correctly saw the ball hit the baseline, but they call it on him. Then he goaltends and isn't called for it. Then he nails a mean, mean game winner. Bummer, I sure was rooting for Indiana to steal it. Now I hope this Utah/OKC game is a battle as well.

1 minute ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

OKC should roll over easily by the 4th.  Just be glad Carmello isn't on your Knicks anymore.  Yeah that's right, I'm talking shit on Anthony again. So sue me!

Oh, my man. You and me both. Although I bartend in New York City, I am from Illinois and have been a Bulls fan since Jordan's first ring. Carmelo Anthony may be my least favorite player of all time. Thank god a ton of New Yorkers hate him also, as a lot of them are bizarrely obsessed with the guy. He is the epitome of a losing player. (now watch him hit some huge shots tonight!).

I'm mostly enjoying this first round before the inevitable Warriors steamroll begins in earnest.

I think the biggest beatdown of round 1 has been Quin Snyder completely out coaching Billy Donovan.  Snyder should be COTY.  Donovan should be fired.  OKC has so much talent on the floor and yet I see far too many ISO plays.  No ball movement at all, completely stagnant offense.  And they hardly utilize Steven Adams in the post.  

I'm also curious to see when Utah is represented on Game of Zones.  Quin Snyder would make a perfect Roose Bolton parody.

P.S. I and thousands of basketball fans owe Kevin Durant an apology.  I can not blame him for leaving OKC.  Westbrook is of no help in the playoffs.  His triple doubles are a joke.  It's constant ISO, pull-up from mid-range, pull up from 3, drive to the lane, only kick it out to the perimeter when the double comes...  Ugh at least Utah has some solid ball movement.  

45 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I think the biggest beatdown of round 1 has been Quin Snyder completely out coaching Billy Donovan.  Snyder should be COTY.  Donovan should be fired.  OKC has so much talent on the floor and yet I see far too many ISO plays.  No ball movement at all, completely stagnant offense.  And they hardly utilize Steven Adams in the post.  

Is that Coaching or is that Russell Westbrook?  I haven't watched much OKC but my experience watching the Raps would point to the latter.

4 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Is that Coaching or is that Russell Westbrook?  I haven't watched much OKC but my experience watching the Raps would point to the latter.

Lol, I just edited my comment so I could question Westbrook as well.  Yeah, you may be right.  I was just texting a friend and saying how I feel like Billy Donovan has lost his team to Westbrook.

1 hour ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I'm also curious to see when Utah is represented on Game of Zones.  Quin Snyder would make a perfect Roose Bolton parody.

P.S. I and thousands of basketball fans owe Kevin Durant an apology.  I can not blame him for leaving OKC.  Westbrook is of no help in the playoffs.  His triple doubles are a joke.  It's constant ISO, pull-up from mid-range, pull up from 3, drive to the lane, only kick it out to the perimeter when the double comes...  Ugh at least Utah has some solid ball movement.  

Yeahhhh so Westbrook has 39/11/7 now and Thunder are 6 ahead. I agree Westbrook is problematic, but not this game.

23 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Yeahhhh so Westbrook has 39/11/7 now and Thunder are 6 ahead. I agree Westbrook is problematic, but not this game.

He truly is a phenomenal talent.  He reminds me of Iverson, the good, and the bad.

P.S. Carmello did nothing once again.  7 points, 2/6 from the field.  They have to pay that bum 28M next year.  OUCH!

Archived