Jaime L

NBA 2018 - Soup's on!

288 posts in this topic

I'm pretty down on both Simmons and Giannis for the playoffs. If you can't shoot at all it doesn't matter how spectacularly athletic you are.

Meanwhile Sixers legitimately putting together one of the worst quarters in the history of basketball.

Edited by sperry

Sixers struggling with this bad Miami team is just pathetic. They are so far ahead talent-wise that it should not be close.

Just couldn't overcome that ridiculously awful shooting performance, and lost to a bad Heat team. This should have been an easy sweep for the Sixers.

18 hours ago, sperry said:

Iso with your best players is fine. Rockets do the same thing, and average very few assists.

The problem I have with too much of it (Iso) though is that every trip down the floor that you rely on Iso, there are 4 defensive players that arent having to work much.

Over 4 quarters that strategy can leave the opposing team with much fresher legs, more energy and less reliant on needing their bench. That team with the fresher legs and more energy is often in advantage late in the game.

Theres a reason why historically the team that has the leagues leading scorer, doesnt win the NBA Championship. I'd much rather have the team that has 7-8 players in double figures.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The problem I have with too much of it (Iso) though is that every trip down the floor that you rely on Iso, there are 4 defensive players that arent having to work much.

Over 4 quarters that strategy can leave the opposing team with much fresher legs, more energy and less reliant on needing their bench. That team with the fresher legs and more energy is often in advantage late in the game.

Theres a reason why historically the team that has the leagues leading scorer, doesnt win the NBA Championship. I'd much rather have the team that has 7-8 players in double figures.

That's true, but what the Thunder and Rockets do isn't really old school iso. It's not like everyone clearing out and Kobe or Carmelo dribbling with their back to the defender for 20 seconds and then jacking up a turnaround fadeaway as the shotclock expires. Both teams set a ton of screens and there's a lot going on.

Edited by sperry

20 hours ago, sperry said:

I'm pretty down on both Simmons and Giannis for the playoffs. If you can't shoot at all it doesn't matter how spectacularly athletic you are.

I don't know if I'd group those two together. Giannis has an average handle while Simmons' is amazing. There were a couple times during the game, where he'd pull his defender out of the paint and then blew by them for an easy dunk. Simmons never has to be a great shooter, but if can develop a shot that people have to respect, it's game over for the rest of the league. Simmons real problem right now is that not only can he not make shots from the line, but he also looks afraid to go. He should be top five in attempts every year, but right now it looks like he's shying away from attacking and drawing fouls. 

Giannis is looking pretty sick tonight.

Portland must have a better showing and take the game at home tonight.  Lillard and McCollum were both pretty off in game 1, Lillard moreso.  It will be so disappointing if Portland can't turn this really nice season into getting past the first round, but there's so little distance between them and New Orleans on paper.  

I started watching Celtics/Bucks and didn’t know the other game was on NBA TV until the bottom line scroll started across the screen.

Tuned in to see the end of the first half.  Washington scored 58 points.  Not bad for one half of action on the road in the playoffs... except for the fact the Raptors had 76!!! :stunned:  I don’t even know what happened there.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I started watching Celtics/Bucks and didn’t know the other game was on NBA TV until the bottom line scroll started across the screen.

Tuned in to see the end of the first half.  Washington scored 58 points.  Not bad for one half of action on the road in the playoffs... except for the fact the Raptors had 76!!! :stunned:  I don’t even know what happened there.

When the Raps are hitting their threes they score a lot. Not sure what the Wizards can do anymore.  They go big and Valanciunas kills them, they go small and DeRozan does.  I don't really know what Scotty Brooks can do lineup wise that he hasn't already done.  Effectively the switch at the half of game 1 of putting Lowry on Beal and either Anunuoby or Wright on Wall has kind of flummoxed Beal.

Every loose ball is ending up in New Orleans’ hands and even Rondo is hitting threes now.  Think Portland is about done here.

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Every loose ball is ending up in New Orleans’ hands and even Rondo is hitting threes now.  Think Portland is about done here.

Not only this, but Jrue Holiday is now the most unstoppable player in the league.  How?  

I cannot be more upset and demoralized.  Imagine if you called yourself JaimeL and waited years for your sports team to have a higher seed only to see it not be fruitful?  

Series if not officially over, obviously, but that is one monstrous start.  One silver lining for Portland is that Mo Harkless returned from injury tonight and is key...but Lillard and CJ must play much better and Holiday must not be Kobe reborn anymore.  Fuck this shit.  

The Bucks should be ashamed of themselves, and the Trailblazers are frauds!  

When talking about the Pelicans game on another board and the fact that Rondo seems to have found a good role on this team, someone linked a nice write up on a key possession in a game between the Kings and Hawks a couple years ago that demonstrates his basketball IQ perfectly.

Rondo tells Cousins to go stand in an empty corner... and reads Hawks play perfectly before it happens.

11 hours ago, Slurktan said:

When the Raps are hitting their threes they score a lot. Not sure what the Wizards can do anymore.  They go big and Valanciunas kills them, they go small and DeRozan does.  I don't really know what Scotty Brooks can do lineup wise that he hasn't already done.  Effectively the switch at the half of game 1 of putting Lowry on Beal and either Anunuoby or Wright on Wall has kind of flummoxed Beal.

Raptors probably didn't get enough credit all season for how good their offense is because it's so diffuse. A bunch of different guys can get hot any game and they do all the little things and ball movement that manufactures open shots for guys. Not sure the Wizards are a good enough or disciplined enough defensive team to make this a series.

Pretty sure the Wizards will go even heavier small ball in game 3 because Gortat is done. The issue though is Beal hasn't been the same guy for the last 3 weeks (which I haven't heard any commentator talk about but it's pretty obvious watching him).  Think he wore down from carrying the load all season. It'd be nice if Porter would step up instead of staying in role player mode. Can't recall one thing he's done in the two games.

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

Not only this, but Jrue Holiday is now the most unstoppable player in the league.  How?  

I cannot be more upset and demoralized.  Imagine if you called yourself JaimeL and waited years for your sports team to have a higher seed only to see it not be fruitful?  

Series if not officially over, obviously, but that is one monstrous start.  One silver lining for Portland is that Mo Harkless returned from injury tonight and is key...but Lillard and CJ must play much better and Holiday must not be Kobe reborn anymore.  Fuck this shit.  

Jrue's been shockingly good. Not only great offensively but he's completely taken Lillard off his game defensively. Didn't see a top 5 MVP candidate getting owned by Jrue Holiday but that's why they play the game I suppose. Playoff Rondo is also a thing.

That said, not like New Orleans has some overwhelming home court advantage so still time to make this a series. 

29 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Pretty sure the Wizards will go even heavier small ball in game 3 because Gortat is done. The issue though is Beal hasn't been the same guy for the last 3 weeks (which I haven't heard any commentator talk about but it's pretty obvious watching him).  Think he wore down from carrying the load all season. It'd be nice if Porter would step up instead of staying in role player mode. Can't recall one thing he's done in the two games.

C'mon.  Don't be so hard on him... he's been mostly dead for the last three years.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

C'mon.  Don't be so hard on him... he's been mostly dead for the last three years.

jackbauer (it was jackbauer, right?) called this 36 months ago. We all owe that guy an apology. 

Edited by Jaime L

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't know if I'd group those two together. Giannis has an average handle while Simmons' is amazing. There were a couple times during the game, where he'd pull his defender out of the paint and then blew by them for an easy dunk. Simmons never has to be a great shooter, but if can develop a shot that people have to respect, it's game over for the rest of the league. Simmons real problem right now is that not only can he not make shots from the line, but he also looks afraid to go. He should be top five in attempts every year, but right now it looks like he's shying away from attacking and drawing fouls. 

I think you just have to surround them with shooters. Obviously every team needs shooters, but those guys really need shooters. Especially in the playoffs when you aren't going to get calls to go to the line 15 times per game, especially in the later rounds.

You are right about the shot people have to respect. Westbrook and Lebron are two guys that aren't good shooters, but you can't just sag off them and pack the paint because they can knock down open pull up jumpers. I feel like Simmons and Giannis both have to develop that aspect of their games to get to the next level of superstardom.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Bucks should be ashamed of themselves, and the Trailblazers are frauds!  

I am not the Bucks, but as a fan, I am deeply ashamed for them. That was seriously so fucking ugly, lol. Giannis, Middleton, and to a lesser extent Brogdon are the only players that look like they're even attempting to play good ball. Everyone else is fucking trash. Can't wait to be swept in 4. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

jackbauer (it was jackbauer, right?) called this 36 months ago. We all owe that guy an apology. 

Yes it was jackbauer24 who said Beal was injured and done.  Haven't seen him post in over a year... in some ways I feel kinda bad that we ran him off, but he did post some pretty dumb stuff.