The Outpost - new fantasy show on the CW

SpaceChampion

CW picks up a 10-episode fantasy series called The Outpost, from Stargate film & tv creators in their first collaboration.  It'll appear on CW this summer, and outside of the U.S. on SyFy's international channels.

Talon (Jessica Green, Ash vs Evil Dead), the lone survivor of a race called “Blackbloods.” Years after her entire village is destroyed by a gang of brutal mercenaries, Talon travels to a lawless fortress on the edge of the civilized world, as she tracks the killers of her family. On her journey to this outpost, Talon discovers she possesses a mysterious supernatural power that she must learn to control in order to save herself, and defend the world against a fanatical religious dictator.

Jake Stormoen (Extinct, Mythica), Imogen Waterhouse (Nocturnal Animals, Braid) Andrew Howard (Hatfields and McCoys, Hell on Wheels), Anand Desai-Barochia (Emmerdale, Lake Mead) and Robyn Malcolm (Top of the Lake, Hostiles) also star.

A Facebook acquaintance ("Xander" from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and apparently Leif Erikson  on Legends of Tomorrow) is appearing it regularly too, so that's kind of neat.  Really it's the only reason I made a thread at all.  He seems quite excited about it.  I'll give it a shot.

I guess it'll feature attractive 20-30 year olds with a lot of interpersonal angst if it's CW.

Curious about it involving a collaboration with Stargate TV and film creators. If it's the good showrunners from sg-1 then who knows what kind of world they could build. CW is pretty well known for letting shows run a long time. And Stargate was definitely a show that moved forwards.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 6:11 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Premiering tomorrow.  Almost forgot of this.  Who knows, it might be tolerable!

That first episode was pretty much pure shit.  I thought the captain of the guard looked familiar, so I looked him up and he was in Mythica too.  I watched the first one of those on Amazon prime awhile back.  It was pretty much the same level of quality as this.  There were a lot of 'pilot' feelings in this, so hopefully there will be improvement as a fun summer show is always appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I'm actually finding it tolerable.  The brewer / scientist character is a bit too cringing.  The plot is not slow, and it's not overly derivative while seeming like it would fit right in with Shannara, Legend of the Seeker, and some Forgotten Realms module.  I guess it's the characters are more interesting than one would expect from a show like this.  They're all at least on identifiable arcs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived