Football - Stolen Taxi for Pardew

Philokles

I’d imagine that if the aged Carlo Cudicini, sitting on our bench, had pulled on a pair of gloves, even he would have done a better job with those three goals than Courtois.

Courtois is as good as anyone at claiming a high ball from a cross, corner or free kick, and for the most part, he saves the shots you expect him to save (obviously not tonight), but he rarely pulls a save out of the bag that you think he had no right to make, in the way that De Gea does, for example.

Overall, I thought it was a decent performance tonight. We were terrible at the back, but when we had the ball, we were a threat, especially when Willian was in possession.

I find it strange that since Conte brought in the three / five at the back, he hasn’t strayed from it. Even if we are chasing a game, he still refuses to bring one of that five off for an attacking player from the bench.

The fear Messi strikes into players is palpable. Chelsea’s defenders seemed to crumble anytime he had the ball. Azpilicueta, who is as courageous of a defender as I’ve seen, looked all over the place anytime he saw Messi with the ball.

Basically, another game decided mostly by Messi's extreme brilliance.

I particularly liked goal 2, where he wins the ball off of Fabregas I believe, is then just a tad faster than player one, is then once again faster than player 2, and then assists the ball calmly to Dembele who finishes.

Then on goal 3, he picks up the ball just outside the penalty area and with one move and a very fast first few yards, immediately outpaces two defenders and scores.

23 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Obviously as far as Liverpool goes I want Roma or Sevilla. Juve and Bayern are who I’d like to avoid most. 

I'm actually not that fussed. I don't expect us to win it and getting to the quarters is a respectable performance for our first season back in the Champions League so everything from here is a bonus.

Obviously Sevilla or Roma would represent the best chance of going through but I'd quite like to get a prestige tie. I think we'd struggle with Juve's style of play and I'd expect us to lose over the course of two legs against City or Barca. Real might be good match for us though; they really haven't looked that good and they play in a way that'd suit us but if we lost it wouldn't be the end of the world. I haven't seen much of Bayern.

No real surprises in the England squad.

Glad to see Southgate picking two Burnley players in Pope and Tarkowski. Out of the English goalkeepers in the Premier League, I'd say he's been the one that's impressed me most this season. When it comes down to it, though, I reckon Southgate will pick Hart, Butland and Pickford.

Southgate clearly isn't a fan of Smalling, and Cahill falling out of favour at Chelsea has cost him his place - although that didn't stop Southgate from picking Hart.

Lewis Cook impressed me when I was at the Chelsea vs. Bournemouth game.

19 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm actually not that fussed. I don't expect us to win it and getting to the quarters is a respectable performance for our first season back in the Champions League so everything from here is a bonus.

Obviously Sevilla or Roma would represent the best chance of going through but I'd quite like to get a prestige tie. I think we'd struggle with Juve's style of play and I'd expect us to lose over the course of two legs against City or Barca. Real might be good match for us though; they really haven't looked that good and they play in a way that'd suit us but if we lost it wouldn't be the end of the world. I haven't seen much of Bayern.

I agree completely.  I'd like to play against a big team, just not one who is ultra-defensive and will kill all entertainment.  Real or Barca would be fine with me, or PSG if they were still around.  Sevilla has some attraction just because we'd like some revenge on them.

We may have lost the EL a couple of years ago in the final but it was a great experience to beat Dortmund, Utd and Villareal (who were quite strong at the time) en route to the final.  The whole point of reaching the latter stages of European competitions is to go toe-to-toe with the biggest clubs.  I'm sure Mourinho would vomit violently if he heard that.

Joe Hart is a strange case. There are rumours that he has had severe back problems that have over time contributed to his downfall. City supporters extended him a lot of goodwill even during difficult times because he was always capable of bouncing back and having days where he looked unbeatable. But it looks like it needed a big respected manager to come in and point out that he was as much a problem as an asset. I can only guess that the back issue is why he developed such a problem on his left-hand-side. Pretty much everything low to his left was going in at one point. I think there were games against Liverpool and Leicester where he conceded 4 goals in each all to his left side. Then there was the Iceland game two years ago. I think both goals went in low to his left without much pace on the ball.

It definitely seems to me that a different keeper should be given the England no.1 spot. Hart shouldn't be in the discussion or the squad IMO.

Atleti have made short work of Lokomotiv Moscow. Griezmann has been on fire lately and put in another top class performance. Simeone has got Atleti playing the way I hope Mourinho can get United to play - rock solid defensively, great workrate and counter-pressing with a clear attacking system in place.

Hart is a strange case but Lallana, Welbeck, Livermore and Rose look just as strange considering their lack of starts in recent months.  

Without Kane, it’s a good time to practice Plan B tactics and pick a team to sit deep and counter-attack at speed through Vardy. 

Arsenal have dealt with Milan quite comfortably. Thought it would be a closer tie. 

ETA. And Dortmund go out to Salzburg. Thoroughly deserved too as they outplayed Dortmund over both legs.

ETA 2. Quite surprised that Lyon lost at home to CSKA and go out on away goals.

Not sure what Stöger was thinking. First half Salzburg were all over them in midfield, Batshuayi isolated up top. So what does he do? Take off two midfielders and chuck on two more forwards to join Batshuayi out of the game. Not only that but the two coming off were Götze - the most creative player in the side and Reus - whose individual acts of brilliance is all that has kept this side afloat in recent weeks.

The disaster at Köln this season cannot be blamed on Stöger, but his time at Dortmund is really showing that he is not cut out to manage a big side. Too often when the opposition sets up to frustrate BVB they look sterile and disorganised.

One step closer to a Red Bull derby.

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Hart is a strange case but Lallana, Welbeck, Livermore and Rose look just as strange considering their lack of starts in recent months.  

What's the feeling from Liverpool's perspective on Lallana? I must admit I really like him as a player. I always feel like he makes a difference in an England shirt. If I were England manager he'd be in the squad every time if fit.

It is a bit lame but at least an English side is guaranteed to be in the semis now and I would consider Liverpool/City to be the most interesting matchup. Bayern should have no problems brushing aside Sevilla. I'd back Real to get past Juve as they are a different beast in the CL. Real have hit form at the right time and Ronaldo is scoring for fun again. Barca should have no problems with Roma. Liverpool/City, otoh, is a close matchup wth City as slight favourites. I'd put it at 52%-48% in favour of City. 

Archived