Football - Stolen Taxi for Pardew

Philokles

0-0 in the rearranged Milan derby at half time. Icardi with a goal disallowed by VAR for a fractional offside a minute or two after he’d scored. Let Donnarumma off the hook, who went down way too early for the 1 on 1.

Now Icardi misses an absolute sitter. Wow.

3-0 now.  This will be agony.  I’ll be wracked with nerves as we defend this lead, especially against City.  An early lead is much better than the reverse, but it’s never smooth sailing as a Liverpool fan. 

If we get to 6-0, then I think I can relax. 

Liverpool bossed City. The only concern would be if Liverpool can keep up this level of intensity. We saw in the league encounter what happened towards the end when Liverpool players began to tire. Didn't matter then but away goals are very important now.

Oh shit, Salah's gone to the sideline holding his groin.

ETA: And he's gone off. Bollocks.

ETA2: Interesting call to take Firmino off for Solanke. It seems a bit odd on the face of it but you'd have to think Salah's unlikely to make the second leg so Firmino's going to have to do a lot of work.

Liverpool have defended very well in this half. Ox has had a great game and TAA too. Between them they've had Sane in their pockets. Good move by Klopp starting with Ox on the right of a midfield three to help out TAA since Salah doesn't track back. VVD  has been solid and Lovren has had his rare good game. Karius has had a quite night. 

Really impressive performance from Liverpool. Not only were the exhilarating going forwards in the first half, but they managed the game really well in the second half. Smart game management isn’t always something you associate with Liverpool, but they showed it tonight.

I really don’t get what system Man City were trying to play. Laporte offered absolutely nothing going forwards from fullback, which meant Sane had to do double the work on the left. I thought they would have targeted TAA - who was excellent, by the way - as a weakness and doubled up on him with overlapping runs.

On the right, they had the opposite problem. Leaving Sterling on the bench, they had no attacking threat coming down the side other than the fullback Walker, and with Gundogan, or whoever was meant to be the right sided midfielder, offering no width, Walker was left exposed when Liverpool had the ball in the first half.

Surely Liverpool can’t throw this lead away?

Well done Pool to ice the game and close it out with a clean sheet.  We didn’t give up many chances either. 

Hendo suspended for the second leg because of that late yellow card so I really hope Can recovers.  And of course we need Salah back as quickly as possible.  Hopefully Firmino’s head injury is nothing serious.  As feared, we’ll have to play some back-ups against Everton and possibly other games.  Perhaps a hungry Ings can finally score. 

Can, Lallana, Gomez, Matip, Klavan are all injured, and now Salah too, not to mention Coutinho sold.  Our bench looked thin tonight.

Yeah, I think looking at Liverpool's squad while we might not have to replace Coutinho with a like for like player we do need to sign someone who's a 4th viable option for playing in the front 3 on a consistent basis.

On the plus side I think Karius has probably done enough to show it's not worth spending money on someone like Butland. If a really world class goalkeeper is available there might still be a question mark but it's not looking too likely Alisson's going to be available for less than stupid money.

In a way, the second half was the more impressive one from Liverpool. We all knew what Liverpool were capable of going forward and Salah’s goal could easily have been ruled out for offside - making the margin considerably less daunting. However, giving away no shots on target or meaningful chances despite the tiredness from the early exertions and City’s increasing pressure was a brilliant achievement from a defence that has been ropy at times this season. Special credit to Alexander Arnold who has been targeted recently, but dealt with Sane perfectly.

The purpose of Laporte playing left back must have been to try to stop Salah. That worked well, obviously, as he scored one and assisted another.

Delph or Danilo might not have done much better with handing Salah, but they may have offered something going forwards.

Well, tbf Liverpool was also a bit lucky with the offside decissions. Salah was offside for the first (when received Milner's (?) ball).

On the other side, I don't think Sane was offside for Jesus's goal. Liverpool deserved to win, but the offside decissions were definately in their favour tonight.

55 minutes ago, Notone said:

Well, tbf Liverpool was also a bit lucky with the offside decissions. Salah was offside for the first (when received Milner's (?) ball).

On the other side, I don't think Sane was offside for Jesus's goal. Liverpool deserved to win, but the offside decissions were definately in their favour tonight.

Ex Premier League referee Chris Foy has had a look at offside decisions and says the ref got both offside calls correct. The Sane one was much closer, but still offside.

He did, however, point out a tackle Robertson made on Sterling and says it should have been a penalty.

ETA: Worded the first sentence wrongly. What I meant to say was that Foy agreed Salah was offside but also thought Sane was offside.

Archived