Jessica Jones Season 2: AKA This Thread Has Spoilers

Martell Spy

This dropped at midnight and I got up early to watch some. I'm about half way through episode 1. It looks good, but it's also moving a bit slow so far. No sign of a villain yet, other than a rival PI. I'm definitely enjoying it, but obviously it doesn't have the same urgency as season 1 had without a Kilgrave-like figure in it. The PI rival looks like a good addition though, perhaps a subplot as I doubt he is this season's big bad. Looks like they are going to get into Jessica's past this season. No sign of Luke Cage yet.

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Why Does Jessica Jones Wear Those Terrible Jeans?

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/jessica-jones-style-fashion-jeans.html

Those jeans look great on her.  The guy writing that is an o so silly billy who desperately wanted to say something anything about this much awaited program that is being billed as so female centric, and thinks he's very clever.  He isn't.

Due to work I can't get to watching until tomorrow.

I have today off and instead of doing any of the thing I must and should do, I watched the first four episodes of JJ.  Gads, I am loving this.  So far at least it's superior to season 1.  I really admire and appreciate how these episodes have shown us that even for supers, the daily grind and obstacles and struggles of so-called mundane life, along with past traumas, wear them down, both physically and emotionally, with medical crises, threats to losing one's home, paying the rent, etc.  It's so admirable that the director, writers and actor were more than willing to show us the toll of these struggles and sufferings have taken on Jessica Jones's face.  She looks weary and worn, haunted by killing her tormentor, quite more so than in season 1.  Of course she's been drinking more too -- an this is going to have to stop and other things are going to have to change too, or else JJ's going down.  It's as much a life and death struggle as being the target of a sociopath's obsession.

38 minutes ago, Lady Olenna said:

I only got one episode in but I’m liking it so far. 

I never really paid much attention to her jeans but have wondered why they never change her outfit. 

For th same reasons male protags don't -- and because it is eminently practical, as observed above.

Many more episodes in -- liking it even more. How very cool to put a specifically female spin on the tropes.  Not saying feminist, saying female.

This is as close to binge watching as I've ever done.  Actually watching as these many episodes in a single day IS binge watching, even though there are still some to come.

I love her outfits.   Never paid much attention to what KIND of jeans she was wearing, just loved that she wore jeans and a tank top or tshirt every day.  It's an easy uniform and a practical one.   <3

That ended on a darker note than I thought it was going to halfway through the season. Completely different style of season to S1 given the choice of antagonist etc - thought it was mostly done quite well, avoided the drag midway through the second half of the season that is often a problem for these shows. I could have lived with a more upbeat note at some point though.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:30 PM, Zorral said:

For th same reasons male protags don't -- and because it is eminently practical, as observed above.

Many more episodes in -- liking it even more. How very cool to put a specifically female spin on the tropes.  Not saying feminist, saying female.

This is as close to binge watching as I've ever done.  Actually watching as these many episodes in a single day IS binge watching, even though there are still some to come.

Since the specific jeans have been discussed I actually noticed when she took them off and threw them away because they had blood stains on them. Then she was wearing them again so I guess she just washed them. This is not something I would ever have noticed on my own.  I certainly paid far more attention to the wardrobe of the cast because of this thread, lol. Hogarth has the best wardrobe by far. That black jumpsuit/romper (?) was fantastic. 

I won’t spoil anything for those still watching but I really like Trish even less than I did last season. I am not disappointed that there werent any crossovers from the defenders (found the defenders barely watchable). And I love Oscar.  

Finished it. I wasn't very impressed.

- I missed a proper antagonist. Ever since the reveal in the beach house basement, it was pretty much clear how this one would end and the tension was out. I mean, JJs going back and forth "I don't know what to do" is credible and good acting too, but for me as a spectator, it get's tedious after a few episodes.

- I also found the entire Jeri Hogarth subplot rather pointless. Yeah, I know, the grey characters are in fashion, but IMO the plot just slowed the pacing down. Although, to put this into perspective, I found the ending much better written than the JJ finale.

- Trish: I don't like her, which in itself would be okay (I also don't like Hogarth, but I get why she acts like she does). But also I don't get her decisions. I understand that she too is totally fucked because of her psycho mom. But most of her subplot was a constant stream of wtf-moments for me. I was also disappointed that her most powerful scene (with the director in the trailer) never had any meaningful impact besides some mere information gathering.

Finished this last night. Very strong second season IMO: I really enjoyed it. The character work is amazing. I just really enjoyed every strand. I did feel there was a little lull around ep 7-8 and I don't think I'd rank this as highly as S1 overall, but at the same time it builds on S1 admirably. There's a lot of clever writing and direction here. The themes of addiction and power dynamics are fascinating. It's just a pleasure to spend time with this cast of characters.

I did enjoy some of the Easter eggs too. :)

Halfway. So far it's pretty shit, and I say that as someone who saw season 1 three times. The characters are caricatures to a ridiculous degree. My girlfriend looked at me after episode 6 and said "this is pretty much Beverly Hills level stuff, isn't it?", and I had to agree. From the rival PI, to the superintendent, to Trish's asshole fiancée, to Jessica's one true love in that flashback episode, to pretty much EVERYONE, I can't fathom how they're consistently writing secondary characters at such a bland level after season 1. If you want to do drama rather than action, you better have characters and actors who can carry it, and these aren't it.

The only characters who are on par with S1 at this point are Jeri, who is a great secondary character, and to a certain degree Trish, who, while her descent into drug-fueled madness was as unbelievable as anything, is at least giving it her best (I always liked the actress).

So yeah, an utterly shite first half. No believability, a ridiculous number of tedious subplots in lieu of an actual plot moving forward, and the reveal of the main villain maybe the most soap opera-ish element of them all.

God, Marvel used to do TV so well. After Iron Fist, Defenders and now this, it's pretty fucked.

Binged it the last couple days and really enjoyed it. I actually like that it ended like it did. I am not fond of almost every movie / show ending happily, that's not how life works.

As to her jeans, are you shitting me!? She looks amazing in them!

Some of it went a little overboard for me, the scene where Trish is looking for the inhaler was especially bad, felt forced and overacted. I also felt some of the mother scenes were a little wonky. And are we supposed to just accept that sniper shot happened and the mom didn't kill him as soon as she got her hands on him? Based on what we see of her and her reactions, she would have ripped him apart for hurting her daughter like that. Then the Trish "abilities" was a bit too telegraphed for me.

Spoiler

Putting in spoilers even though thread says spoilers to be safe.. I mean, he got feline distemper from vet, then her doctor says to her in the morgue, "you used up two of your nine lives"...and her last scene, cat like reflexes....I assume if she is in the comics she has some cat like powers? I have no idea since I am show only.

Those, are very minor to me compared to the other 12 hours of the show I liked. Liked it so much that I started Luke Cage today. Didn't hear a lot of good things about it, and mostly bad things about Iron Fist and Defenders. Hadn't planned on watching any except JJ and DD but now want to see the others.

I thought there was a cautious lighter note at the very end of the last episode.  She was trying on an unfamiliar part of her that doesn't immediately sneer, suspect or be bored by other people, which made her look a little softer and vulnerable, and that's not who Super Lady is supposed to be.  Yet . . . loneliness makes us all vulnerable.  The season did an exceptional job of showing the dimensions of loneliness of more than one character as well as Jessica Jones.

I also liked very much the multi-cultural diversity of NYC that was in the show so plausibly, from an Asian PI to a middle-eastern gold jewelry shop keeper to all the latinos.  It would be great if there's another season that Oscar gets to be more than a useful plot device for Jessica's needs -- he's got a lot to work with, JJ writers!

Archived