Heartsbane

Olorin81

Did I miss something on the show? The last we see of House Tarly's valyrian steel heirloom is Sam stealing it before he goes off to Oldtown to the Maesters correct? Has there been any mention of it since then? Is this some plotline that's just gonna fall into a blackhole?

9 hours ago, Olorin81 said:

Did I miss something on the show? The last we see of House Tarly's valyrian steel heirloom is Sam stealing it before he goes off to Oldtown to the Maesters correct? Has there been any mention of it since then? Is this some plotline that's just gonna fall into a blackhole?

He was carrying a very conspicuous sword shaped package outside the Citadel.

13 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

He was carrying a very conspicuous sword shaped package outside the Citadel.

Ok but still not much more than seeing him steal it from the House of Tarly. Do you think we'll ever see it again, or are the writers going to totally forget about it? If it does come back into play, what part do you think it will serve in the story? Jon already has his own valyrian steel sword. So who do you think will use it? The Hound maybe? That would be cool.

Who would Sam trust with his family's ancestral weapon?  That doesn't already have a Valyrian steel weapon. Jorah's the only one I could possible think of. More than likely though, Sam will use it himself. He said he's tired of reading about the great deeds of others.

• 3 weeks later...

The deaths of Randyll and Dickon will be a bit different in the books. Randyll and Dickon Tarly will be killed at Storm's End early in Dance. Jon Connington will take Heartsbane for Aegon. Although Samwell has taken the black there might be an opportunity for him to have Mance's son, held out as his own, legitimized and made lord of Horn Hill with the return of Heartsbane in exchange for House Tarly's support of Aegon. 

On 3/9/2018 at 8:02 AM, Olorin81 said:

Ok but still not much more than seeing him steal it from the House of Tarly. Do you think we'll ever see it again, or are the writers going to totally forget about it? If it does come back into play, what part do you think it will serve in the story? Jon already has his own valyrian steel sword. So who do you think will use it? The Hound maybe? That would be cool.

They showed it in 705 when he left. 

The show seems to be setting Sam up to be the Lord of Horn Hill. 

If someone uses it up North though I would bet the Hound or Jorah.... but is a great sword like that even suitable for combat? 

On 3/28/2018 at 0:39 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

The deaths of Randyll and Dickon will be a bit different in the books. Randyll and Dickon Tarly will be killed at Storm's End early in Dance. Jon Connington will take Heartsbane for Aegon. Although Samwell has taken the black there might be an opportunity for him to have Mance's son, held out as his own, legitimized and made lord of Horn Hill with the return of Heartsbane in exchange for House Tarly's support of Aegon. 

Isn't Dickon like 5 years old in the books?

I feel that the show is setting things up for a lot of neatly packaged endings. Sam will use Heartsbane to be a hero, will be dismissed of his Night's Watch vows, will become the new lord of Horn Hill, will marry Gilly and live happily ever after!

1 hour ago, Euron's Mom said:

Isn't Dickon like 5 years old in the books?

I feel that the show is setting things up for a lot of neatly packaged endings. Sam will use Heartsbane to be a hero, will be dismissed of his Night's Watch vows, will become the new lord of Horn Hill, will marry Gilly and live happily ever after!

No, Dickon is at least Bran Stark's age (10) and maybe a couple of years older. He is serving as a squire in his father's host, and he is already wed. 

In the show, I could totally see Sam giving it to Jorah, especially considering the latter has already turned down Jon's offer of Longclaw and Sam, ya know, saved his life.  In the books, not so much.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sam will no doubt wield Heartsbane. What is really perplexing me, Briene of Tarth has 1/2 of Ice with her and nno one knows it and she has not mentioned it neither.  The other half is not with Jaime I think but with Cersie, Dead Tommen, in the Sept ashes etc.  Then again, D&D&C don't seem to give a shit about details. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 5:11 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

The other half is not with Jaime I think

It is with Jamie. He carries it with him on the travel North at end of season 7.

Jamie carries Widow's Wails as his own sword now. We clearly know from the dialogue when Jamie kills Olenna. 

No way Sam yields hearstbane, or any sword for that matter. If anything, some dragon glass. Giving Heartsbane to Sam would be like giving a ten pound sledgehammer to a five year old. Lots of interesting things could happen, with Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper being in the same vicinity with Gendry, someone we assume learned how to work Valaryian Steel. 

Maybe they give it to the Hound? 

Maybe Brienne gives Oathkeeper to John, John gives Longclaw to Jorah, and Brienne gets Heartsbane? 

Maybe Ice is reforged, and then heartsbane is split into two swords, one for Jamie and one for Brienne?

11 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Maybe Brienne gives Oathkeeper to John, John gives Longclaw to Jorah, and Brienne gets Heartsbane?

Why on earth? Why should they change swords? What's your logic behind it?

Surely, Brienne will keep Oathkeeper and Jamie will keep Widows Wail. Two of our important combatants have a Valyrian steel sword they are used to and experienced with. Further, the two sibling swords are now carried by two who respect each other and have feelings for each other. Jamie gave Brienne this important sword. The only change that may occur is Jaimie realising he is no good with a sword anymore and gives his to someone else, but I don't really expect that.

John was allowed to keep Longclaw and will do so. It is his sword now.

Whether Heartsbane goes to The Hound or Gendry is actually able to reforge it into two swords, we will see. Both is possible.

Arya has the Valyrian steel dagger.

Many other will wield Dragon glass instead. They showed us they made thousands of weapon heads of it.

18 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Why on earth? Why should they change swords? What's your logic behind it?

Surely, Brienne will keep Oathkeeper and Jamie will keep Widows Wail. Two of our important combatants have a Valyrian steel sword they are used to and experienced with. Further, the two sibling swords are now carried by two who respect each other and have feelings for each other. Jamie gave Brienne this important sword. The only change that may occur is Jaimie realising he is no good with a sword anymore and gives his to someone else, but I don't really expect that.

John was allowed to keep Longclaw and will do so. It is his sword now.

Whether Heartsbane goes to The Hound or Gendry is actually able to reforge it into two swords, we will see. Both is possible.

Arya has the Valyrian steel dagger.

Many other will wield Dragon glass instead. They showed us they made thousands of weapon heads of it.

The logic behind it would be to give ancestral swords back to there houses

Oath keeper + widows wail = Ice    House Stark

Long claw  House Mormont

Heartsbane House Tarly  (with Sam a maester, what is the point?) 

The end result still has Valyrian Steel in all the same hands

14 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

So you don't think House Stark would like Ice back?

Ice is gone. There are two new swords. Melting and forging a new sword will not bring Ice back.

Ned is dead. Nothing will bring him back as well. 

There is no indication whatsoever that Brienne will surrender Oathkeeper or Jamie surrender Widows Wail. And Jorah and Jon even talked about Jon keeping Longclaw. No, that is too much phantasy for me and has no point to the story line anyway.

There are so many loose ends to tie up, the swords are the least important of all. Valyrian they must be, though.

Just now, Kajjo said:

Ice is gone. There are two new swords. Melting and forging a new sword will not bring Ice back.

Ned is dead. Nothing will bring him back as well. 

There is no indication whatsoever that Brienne will surrender Oathkeeper or Jamie surrender Widows Wail. And Jorah and Jon even talked about Jon keeping Longclaw. No, that is too much phantasy for me and has no point to the story line anyway.

There are so many loose ends to tie up, the swords are the least important of all. Valyrian they must be, though.

I said it is one of many possibilities, more likely to happen after the war is over, but would happen, none the less. And yes, re-combining oathkeeper and Widows Wail would bring Ice back, you are quite wrong on that. A lot was made of Gendry, and his apprenticeship with the only blacksmith that could work Valyrian steel, it had to be for a reason. 

1 hour ago, Error-504 said:

would bring Ice back

How so? Each sword is unique. Melting and reforging does not bring back old entities.

1 hour ago, Error-504 said:

A lot was made of Gendry, and his apprenticeship with the only blacksmith that could work Valyrian steel

Well, yes, maybe he reforges Heartsbane into two swords and works any other Valyrian steel? 

Archived