Which kingdom would you let secede if you were king?

Varysblackfyre321

Good question.  I  would keep the Iron Islands because I wouldn't want to leave them to their own devices for too long.  For me, it would come down to either Dorne or the North.  Both of them are isolated geographically from the rest of Westeros.  Both have significant cultural and/or religious differences as well.

Historically, Dorne has caused more trouble for the rest of the Seven Kingdoms than the North.  As a result, I'd probably keep them in my Kingdom, to keep a closer eye on them.

So, I'd probably go with the North.

North.

Crownlands, Westerlands, Reach, Riverlands, Stormlands are out of the question: leaving them free would open a huge land border to defend.

The Vale has one of five big ports, fertile land and sits right above the Crownlands. Unless it's winter, Valemen can flood the Crownlands with tens of thousands of knights at moment's notice.

Iron Islands getting free doesn't solve anything - they are already semi-autonomous.

Dorne getting free doesn't solve anything either. Like Iron Islands, they have a tradition of border raids.

North can be easily isolated at the Neck, it is poor, it is barely populated, has foreign religion and is generally the part of Westeros one can part with causing the least amount of trouble.

I think the Iron Islands would be the smartest choice.

They will anyway attack one of the mainland kingdoms sooner or later, and it would be wise to have the whole power of the other kingdoms to crush the rebellion. If the Greyjoys are in charge, you will need an army as big as you can to take Pyke down. 

If you let go of another Kingdom, like for example, the North or Dorne, than you will have the Ironborn attacking you and while you try to deal with them, the seceded kingdom will see a better chance to attack you as well. 

6 hours ago, snow is the man said:

either the north because there isn't much there besides empty space and unlike the westerlands there is little of value. Or I would choose the iron isles just so I would have an excuse to wipe them out when they started raiding.

You would have to wipe them out if you let the Iron Isles go because they would never stop their piracy and their raiding.  Commerce would be greatly affected and the Lannisters and the Hightowers will be demanding you do something about it.  Either keep them under your thumb or let them go and wipe them out.

There is little resources in Dorne.  Maybe Dorne.  The same for the North.  There is little in the north.  If I had to let one go it will be the North.

8 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Note: you have to pick one. Dorne or the II I'd say-they're the poorest and their cultural mores aren't really similar to that of the rest of the kingdoms. 

I have to pick one.  Might be I pick the north.  They rebelled twice in the last seventeen years.  Best to rid myself of that troubled region.

Honesty, it's not a good idea to let one secede.  You set a dangerous example that others will exploit.  

1 hour ago, Ahl of the House Cutler said:

You let the North secede and there goes cheap timber and wool for the Seven Kingdoms.

Doesn't much of the cheap timber come from the rain forests of the Stormlands? And wool (aka sheep) can be raised anywhere.

I'd go with losing the North, because it's a big buffer between the New! Smaller-sized! Six Kingdoms and the wildlings etc north of the Wall. Plus, then the Northern Kingdom is solely responsible for staffing the wall, fighting any invaders, etc. This includes the legendary snarks, grumkins, walking dead and alien Others. Let the Starks worry about them! We've got a beef with the basically-dead Stark family, anyway. And the now-reigning Boltons deserve any hells they can get.

Admittedly, this is a Cersei Lannister-like point of view, which will almost certainly lead to disaster. But I'm suddenly understanding how much fun it can be to think like her. Pity me!

The North is the easiest to contain should they prove hostile as a separate kingdom. I don’t know that the precise economic contributions of each kingdom have been firmly cemented enough to fully judge that, but aside from the possibility of timber I don’t see the rest of Westeros losing much with the North gone. 

I'd let the North secede and then set up a Blazing Saddles style toll booth. Charge a dime for every northman coming down to rape and pillage the poor Freys.

"Oh hello, Roddy the Ruin. I see you're coming down to support the Blacks in the Targaryen civil war. You had best go back to Barrowton and get a 'shitload of dimes."

Then when they come back, you get to charge them AGAIN.  Perfect scenario

35 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Charge a dime for every northman coming down to rape and pillage the poor Freys.

Seriously? Someone ought to pay them to come down to rape and pillage the Freys. The North Remembers.

1 hour ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I'd let the North secede and then set up a Blazing Saddles style toll booth. Charge a dime for every northman coming down to rape and pillage the poor Freys.

"Oh hello, Roddy the Ruin. I see you're coming down to support the Blacks in the Targaryen civil war. You had best go back to Barrowton and get a 'shitload of dimes."

Then when they come back, you get to charge them AGAIN.  Perfect scenario

Great idea! Except I'd give them a discount if they were gunning for the Frey's...

17 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

You would have to wipe them out if you let the Iron Isles go because they would never stop their piracy and their raiding.  Commerce would be greatly affected and the Lannisters and the Hightowers will be demanding you do something about it.  Either keep them under your thumb or let them go and wipe them out.

There is little resources in Dorne.  Maybe Dorne.  The same for the North.  There is little in the north.  If I had to let one go it will be the North.

that's what I was saying about the iron isles. They are still raiding now that they are part of the seven kingdoms but to a lesser extent

Archived