So let's talk about Sasquatch. 100% impossible, or is there at least a chance that it exists?

Free Northman Reborn

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Understood.  It still looks like a guy running in front of the camera in a gorilla suit.

What I find amazing is how personal biases can influence human judgment. The Patterson-Gimlin film is a case in point. We have costume experts, anthropologists and other experts spread across the full spectrum of opinions. From opinions saying it is not only a man in a monkey suit but a man in a bad monkey suit, to opinions that the gait is not achievable by a human and if it is a suit it is the best developed suit in history.

What makes one chuckle is that both ends of this spectrum are occupied by knowledgeable minds experienced in their respective fields. Which begs the question, how many so called experts are really experts?

If one anthropologist can say it is a man in a monkey suit and another says it is an undiscovered hominid, how can the common man like me or you possibly have an accurate opinion on the matter?

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Understood.  It still looks like a guy running in front of the camera in a gorilla suit.

Checkout  Atlas Obsucra   The Yeti Scalp.  Im skeptical of this one but the story around it is inserting,  to say the least.:D

7 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

What I find amazing is how personal biases can influence human judgment. The Patterson-Gimlin film is a case in point. We have costume experts, anthropologists and other experts spread across the full spectrum of opinions. From opinions saying it is not only a man in a monkey suit but a man in a bad monkey suit, to opinions that the gait is not achievable by a human and if it is a suit it is the best developed suit in history.

What makes one chuckle is that both ends of this spectrum are occupied by knowledgeable minds experienced in their respective fields. Which begs the question, how many so called experts are really experts?

If one anthropologist can say it is a man in a monkey suit and another says it is an undiscovered hominid, how can the common man like me or you possibly have an accurate opinion on the matter?

One expert at trial will say that it is impossible to contract Mesothelioma from asbestos in a boiler while another will say that is the only way a plaintiff has could have contracted Mesothelioma.  

At some point a creature becomes rare enough to be virtually undetectable in the thousands upon thousands of square miles of wilderness up there. If there are 2000 individuals alive their visibility would surely be significantly higher than if there were only say 100 individuals alive in the 1960's when the Patterson film was shot, and maybe 50 individuals left today.

In fact, lets say we caught only the very tail end of the existence of this species. In such a scenario they could very well die out or have died out over the last few decades and we would never be the wiser. The very last individual could be alive at this very moment, in some isolated forest far from the nearest human. If it died tomorrow, the species could fade away without us ever having gotten conclusive proof of its existence.

All hypothetically, of course.

15 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

At some point a creature becomes rare enough to be virtually undetectable in the thousands upon thousands of square miles of wilderness up there. If there are 2000 individuals alive their visibility would surely be significantly higher than if there were only say 100 individuals alive in the 1960's when the Patterson film was shot, and maybe 50 individuals left today.

In fact, lets say we caught only the very tail end of the existence of this species. In such a scenario they could very well die out or have died out over the last few decades and we would never be the wiser. The very last individual could be alive at this very moment, in some isolated forest far from the nearest human. If it died tomorrow, the species could fade away without us ever having gotten conclusive proof of its existence.

All hypothetically, of course.

A remnant population of Dire Wolves may have survived until about 3000 years ago in the Appalachian mountains.  So It's possible for a special to linger in small population long after most  of the species is gone everywhere else.  On theory about Sasquatch and the Abominable Snowman   is that they  may be   remnant population  of Gigantopithicus which, is thought to have  died out about  100,000 years ago.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If they exist, and I strongly doubt that they do, and they are fully sentient... they can hide and hide the remains of their dead.  I really, really, really doubt they exist.  

Ok.  I think we're using different definitions of 'sentient' here.  

I'd also argue that 'hiding' the dead would be a behavior making them more rathe than less discoverable to science.  Burial or cremation practices would be likely preserve some evidence of existence.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Is that where god is hiding out too?

Perhaps thats a question you should ask the almighty when you to meet him many used from now? :rolleyes:

My point it that , there are probably still species out there left to be discovered.

There are characteristics that recent discoveries of larger animals have in common. One of those is that the species has, in almost all cases, been mistaken for already-known species. This does not apply in the case of sasquatch. Nor was anyone actively looking for any of those other species. 

Additionally, the idea that sasquatch haven't been detected because there's only a handful left doesn't fit with sightings over a huge geographical range. You can't have it both ways: either there are a lot of them, or at least some of the reported sightings are false. In which case, there's no real reason not to accept that all of the sightings are false.

As for the idea that expert opinion is divided, this is just the climate change argument in a different form. If one expert disagrees, then expert opinion is divided! Teach the controversy! It's not true, sadly. Expert opinion is not divided. 

One can always define 'possible' in ways that allow one to continue to believe something in the face of the evidence, of course. So if you want to believe, OK. Believe. But it's not really a rational belief, I'm afraid. It's a romantic desire to believe in something unknown and exotic, waiting out there for us, beyond our ken. A human sort of thing to believe in, when all's said and done. 

2 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Perhaps thats a question you should ask the almighty when you to meet him many used from now?

I already met the almighty. Turns out it isn't a dude at all, but rather a big hairy ape. Or maybe it was a dude in a gorilla suit. I couldnt tell, things were pretty fuzzy when I had this encounter.

Archived