Mountain clans north population

Matter-of-fact

I'm not vested in the plot to retake the north but I will take a stab at the question.  So roughtly half the population will be male.  What percentage of the male pop. are of fighting age.  Half or less.  I don't believe there will be more than ten thousand in total. 

6 minutes ago, Peter Peckerton said:

I'm not vested in the plot to retake the north but I will take a stab at the question.  So roughtly half the population will be male.  What percentage of the male pop. are of fighting age.  Half or less.  I don't believe there will be more than ten thousand in total. 

I think that's a reasonable guesstimate.Too little information to work on realistically.

7 hours ago, Matter-of-fact said:

What is the population of the northern mountain clans since they can rally 2000-3000 manpower for barenthon stannis and that not including what they provided for war of five kings and any manpower that remained home.

They must not have contributed many men to Robb’s forces, since we know the Karstarks and Bolton’s contributed more than three thousand men each, the Manderly men totaled 1,900 or so, and we have to assume that there’s also Flints, Tallharts, Glovers, Mormonts and whatnot who can all field at least 1,000 men based on Jeor’s information. Obviously some houses didn’t send many people (Dustins and Ryswells and Manderly) and neither did the clansmen apparently. It’s just impossible to determine exact numbers though.

I don't get too invested arguing numbers and population statistics in a fictional novel. In the end each house will have as many men as Martin requires for them to accomplish their said role in the story. Committing to too many specifics makes that harder naturally, that's why authors tend to be vague in such areas.

9 hours ago, Matter-of-fact said:

What is the population of the northern mountain clans since they can rally 2000-3000 manpower for barenthon stannis and that not including what they provided for war of five kings and any manpower that remained home.

I'd guess probably closer to 50K but without knowing more about them it's hard to say. It's such a huge area but the numbers raised are raised basically in the dead of winter (or close enough to it) with no plans on living.

Archived