Am I Ready, Player One?

Yukle

I know several people with Autism in real lkife and this show makes me want ot just...punch babies...I dunno. It makes me angry, yeah.

And I don't remember where i got the blackface for nerds line from, but i didn't come up with it originally. I think I saw it on another site.

And I'll just say this then stop derailing the thread, BBT is from the creator of Two and Half Men, so of course it's going to treat women like shit. :(

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I know several people with Autism in real lkife and this show makes me want ot just...punch babies...I dunno. It makes me angry, yeah.

And I don't remember where i got the blackface for nerds line from, but i didn't come up with it originally. I think I saw it on another site.

And I'll just say this then stop derailing the thread, BBT is from the creator of Two and Half Men, so of course it's going to treat women like shit. :(

It's also from the creator of Grace Under Fire, Cybil, Dharma and Greg, Mike and Molly, and Mom as well as a writer on Roseanne.

The movie felt even more fabricated nerdy than the book. I'm glad it was Movie Pass, as I nearly paid NYC prices when the Pass was screwing up. I left the theater pretty surprised it got such good reviews. I thought it was pretty fucking stupid, and I liked (much) of the book more than a lot of people here. 

Probably won't re watch for years, and I am the precise target audience. Well, I thought I would have been. Instead I felt like it was a 17 year old telling me how he totally has played Zelda, and the really old one, Wind Waker.

15 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

The movie felt even more fabricated nerdy than the book. I'm glad it was Movie Pass, as I nearly paid NYC prices when the Pass was screwing up. I left the theater pretty surprised it got such good reviews. I thought it was pretty fucking stupid, and I liked (much) of the book more than a lot of people here. 

Probably won't re watch for years, and I am the precise target audience. Well, I thought I would have been. Instead I felt like it was a 17 year old telling me how he totally has played Zelda, and the really old one, Wind Waker.

This. This so hard.

18 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

So what is this thing? I'm only aware of this movie because of couple of article's I've seen, most recently cracked, have decided this movie represents everything wrong with "geek culture",

Ready Player One is the logical extension of this geek-chic commercial sensibility that went mainstream 20 years ago, yet still thinks of itself as somehow being a sub-culture.

22 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

You know those young hipster kids that wear Nintendo themed shirts that often have things labeled or spelled wrong but the kid doesn't know because he just wears it because its cool to like old games? They made a movie.

Yep, it's called Pixels.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Really Player One wishes it had even 1/4th the charm of pixels.

That's just insane, even if you don't like the book, that's just insane.

Ready Player One The book on Amazon:

4.6 stars out of 5 with 16,572 reviews

The movie on RT

tomato meter: 76%

audience score: 79% liked it

Pixels:

tomato meter: 17 %

audience score: 46 % liked it

If both are crap to you though that's fine, but no one is going to believe RP1 is worse than Pixels.

I liked it a ton, and went into it not having read the book. You can enjoy the movie almost purely on a surface level, riding the sentimentality, the good pacing,  and the pretty good acting (it really helps that Rylance is good in this, and the folks playing Wade and Samantha have good chemistry (they have to sell the romantic connection in not a lot of time). Spielberg is as good at this stuff as ever. 

The world is kind of thin if you look at it too thoroughly, but that's okay. I've heard the book is worse, which wouldn't surprise. It very much feels like something that benefits from being able to show everything, and from film's ability to convey a ton of information in a very short amount of time just in the visuals. 

I went to the see the film today. My reaction is fairly similar to my reaction to the book, it's good fun but without much in the way of depth and it's best not to think too much about some of the plot points. I thought Spielberg did a good job with the action scenes, while they are very busy in terms of how much is happening in them it's still possible to follow what is going on (I don't even want to think about what Michael Bay would have done with this material). It does lean heavily on the nostalgia but seemed to dial down the extent of Wade's 80s obsession, he's still obsessed but not to quite to the same extent as in the book.

Although the general structure of the plot and the characters are fairly similar to the book they did change pretty much all of the details of the quests. Like the book I do think they're not as hard as they're meant to be...

The first quest in particular didn't seem like something it should take millions of people five years to solve. If nobody has ever tried driving the wrong way round the track at least occasionally then they obviously play racing games very differently to me, and since they know they're looking for an Easter Egg they should be trying to do unexpected things.

While I think Spielberg did a fine job directing this I can't help but wonder what Edgar Wright could have done with this source material.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Pfft we really going to use the RT/meta argument?

Yes.

Same way someone would use wikipedia for an argument or to get information.

Going in knowing it's a flawed site, prone to bad data due to tampering or just the normal mechanics of the site, BUT as a starting place and to get general information you're not going to bet your life on, it's a useful tool.

Again, it's fine you don't like the book, it's even fine if you think the movie pixels is better than the book itself (I'm assuming you haven't seen the RP1 movie) but as a general statement to say Pixels is a better work, that is just crazy.

It's like someone asking you if ice cream is any good and just because you hate it you just plainly state ice cream is terrible. Or if they say what's bacon like and you say they'll hate it.

Maybe you are lactose intolerant or maybe you're a vegetarian, or for just some reason you hate those foods, that's fine, but to not recognize the majority LOVES ice cream and the majority LOVES bacon...

wait...

ok, gotta go, just got an idea for a dessert.

On 4/1/2018 at 10:14 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Really Player One wishes it had even 1/4th the charm of pixels.

You think The Last Jedi is an amazing movie. You dont get to have an opinion about movies anymore. 

Archived