Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yukle

Am I Ready, Player One?

63 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2018 at 7:27 PM, Aemon Stark said:

Saw it in IMAX 3D on Tuesday. It was enjoyable, but I felt it was heading down a dark path early on when that first race scene made me think of the pod race. Not good. 

But it improved and held my interest. The references ended up being a fair bit subtler than I expected too. I liked Alan Silvestri's numerous callbacks to his Back to the Future scores. 

All the same, I don't really get why anyone in 2045 would remember anything about Atari...

That's one thing that the tone of the movie didn't relate. The book made it clearer that 80s culture underwent a dramatic return directly due to people suddenly analyzing everything 80s, knowing the keys would be related to that decade. So in real-world 2045, 80s music, dress and culture were hip again.  The movie just kind of blurs everything into Nerd Culture is cool again. 

I mostly enjoyed the movie as light entertainment.  But you would think that IOI would be able to tell what employees or serfs are logging in where.  I guess we're supposed to overlook that because what they went with is, other than that, a lot easier to tell on screen than infiltration in the book.  And now that I think about it, sure we're Japanese, but we were in the neighborhood because Cleveland Rocks!

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I mostly enjoyed the movie as light entertainment.  But you would think that IOI would be able to tell what employees or serfs are logging in where.  I guess we're supposed to overlook that because what they went with is, other than that, a lot easier to tell on screen than infiltration in the book.  And now that I think about it, sure we're Japanese, but we were in the neighborhood because Cleveland Rocks!

It was awfully convenient that everyone lived within walking distance of one another. :P