Quentyn Martell, why making him die?

Quentyn Martell is one of my favourite characters and I think his storyline could evolve in a very interesting way. So when he died I was very surprised ( more than when happened Red wedding). Now I ask myself: why should Martin have written through his point of view if he knew that Quentyn would be dead? Why did he need to tell us his story? Have Quentyn been useful at something?

P.S. I'm sorry for my English, I'm from Italy, if I made any mistake please forgive me

I'm sure some here have given it a lot of thought. I think Quentyn's narrative has a lot of layers, one of them being the failed good hero quest, one of the many subversions George has done to traditional fantasy narrations. The dude did not just die, he died screaming, being a jelly like unrecognizable humanoid figure.

46 minutes ago, Littlefinger's crewman said:

Now I ask myself: why should Martin have written through his point of view if he knew that Quentyn would be dead? Why did he need to tell us his story?

First two words of Quentyn's first chapter... "Adventure stank". GRRM is showing us the reality of the "fantasy quest", the young prince sent out to find his bride (Dany), to bring back that which his Kingdom needs (Dragons). But his bride is no innocent maid to be won, and the object of his quest leads to his own death. 

Also, there's the novel's POV structure. Quentyn gives us a window on Doran's true intentions, as well as a view of what's going on in Volantis, and in Slaver's Bay outside of Meereen. 

I believe it occurred largely as another complicating factor for Arrianne's decision to support fAegon (who she will realise is a fake) or Daenerys. I think she will go for Daenerys, but some of Dorne, led by the Yronwood's, may revolt.

1 hour ago, Littlefinger's crewman said:

Quentyn Martell is one of my favourite characters and I think his storyline could evolve in a very interesting way. So when he died I was very surprised ( more than when happened Red wedding). Now I ask myself: why should Martin have written through his point of view if he knew that Quentyn would be dead? Why did he need to tell us his story? Have Quentyn been useful at something?

P.S. I'm sorry for my English, I'm from Italy, if I made any mistake please forgive me

There are some who argue that Quentyn is not dead -- badly burned perhaps, but not dead. The face of the "Dornish prince" that Barristan sees is unrecognizable, and if there is anything to Dany's ability to resist being seriously burned, it may well come from her Dornish heritage, not Targaryen.

Then there is that funny conversation between Barristan and Arch and Drink. Twice, Arch tells drink to shut up before he says too much:

"You did not know him, ser. He --"

"He's dead, Drink." Yronwood rose to his feet. "Words won't fetch him now. Cletus and Will are dead too. So shut your bloody mouth before I stick my fist in it."

snip

"We were protecting Quentyn," said Drinkwater. "We--"

"Be quiet, Drink. He knows."

Nothing conclusive here, of course, bit I can see a little wiggle room. And Martin has a habit of ending books in ways that make it seem like a character has died:

Arya in GoT

Jaime in CoK

The Hound in SoS

Brienne in FoC (and perhaps Loras as well)

Jon (most likely) in DoD

29 minutes ago, Makk said:

I believe it occurred largely as another complicating factor for Arrianne's decision to support fAegon (who she will realise is a fake) or Daenerys. I think she will go for Daenerys, but some of Dorne, led by the Yronwood's, may revolt.

Dorne will be divided.  Yronwood and Drinkwater already pledged their swords to Dany.  Arrianne is the one who sides with Aegon. 

Quentyn's and Arrianne both tried to play the Game.  While both plans were awful, I thought Quentyn's was better.  Yet it's Arrianne who gets another chance.  Quentyn is an example of someone born to come up short.  He got one chance.  Arrianne is less competent but somehow is playing better because of simple luck.  Just like Ned and Cersei.  Ned is the more able but Cersei played better.

13 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Dorne will be divided.  Yronwood and Drinkwater already pledged their swords to Dany.  Arrianne is the one who sides with Aegon. 

There's no commitment to (f)Aegon yet. And if it's resolved like most other Martel schemes it will fall apart before it gets off the ground.

6 hours ago, Littlefinger's crewman said:

All men must die.  Death comes for every one eventually.  He died because it was his time to die.  It was foolhardy to steal a dragon.  Too many things can go wrong.  One did and it was enough to get him killed.

So what is the purpose of his arc?  The plot has been steadily building connections between Daenerys and Westeros.  Many come seeking the Dragon Queen.  Quentyn's story built a connection between Daenerys and Dorne.  It's just one more thread between Daenerys and Westeros.  Quentyn came to dance with dragons.

1. Quentyn came to dance with dragons.  He brought a signed agreement to the dance but it was not enough.  He pushed the boundaries and learned that dragons are dangerous playmates.  This is the kind of dance where you can die if your steps aren't good enough.
  2. Victarion is coming to dance with dragons.  He brings a Dragonbinder to the dance.  Will it be enough?  
  3. Marwyn is coming to dance with dragons.  He brings knowledge.  

It takes three to get it right.  So which of the remaining suitors will do well in the ballroom and get a dance with the dragon?

7 hours ago, Littlefinger's crewman said:

To set House Martell against Daenerys. 

Yeah his overall purpose is to drive the wedge between Dorne and Dany. I can't think of any one overriding reason why he needed to be a POV, I mean it could have been Drinkwater's POV. I think it is either about the shock death having the most impact in POV or framing Doran's loss in the most tragic manner possible, because Dorne is going to fight Dany to the last.

40 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Yeah his overall purpose is to drive the wedge between Dorne and Dany.

I don't see how Quentyn's tragic death would "drive a wedge" between Daenerys and Doran Martell. Doran knew it was a Hail Mary pass sending Quentyn out to seek Dany's hand, and the likely irrelevance of the pact involv9ing Viserys and Arianne (which neither of them ever knew of). Dany rejected Quentyn for perfectly good reasons - a previous betrothal and marriage the following day - and never treated him or his companions with less than honor and kindness. Gerrys might get wound up and say otherwise, but the Big Man knows the right of it, and Doran is no Cersei - he wants to learn all the relevant information, then weigh it and plot strategies before taking action.

7 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Dorne pledged their spears to Daenerys on the provision she married Quentyn Martell. He is now dead and spurned. Now it is unconventional to think that Arrianne will side with Dany, but it is even more unconventional to believe that the Yronwoods, who fostered Quentyn and saw him spurned firsthand, will support Daenerys. I can't see any reason why they would if the Martells do not. 

2 minutes ago, Makk said:

Dorne pledged their spears to Daenerys on the provision she married Quentyn Martell.

At this point,

Spoiler

Doran has sent Arianne out to meet with this young stud who calls himself "Aegon Targaryen". I'd say he's operating on the principal of "a dragon in the hand is worth 3 in the bush". Plus, "Aegon" is male and Arianne is female, and really good at it. If "Aegon" is the real thing, then the whole Viserys+Arianne thing is back on the menu.

Doran doesn't yet know what's  become of Quentyn's mission. However, when he eventually gets word of what transpired in Meereen, the one Yronwood onside - Arch, aka the Big Man - he's smart enough to understand that the timing was off, that's all. Quentyn arrived too late. He wasn't "spurned", just too late. The other Yronwoods will listen to Arch over Drinkwater, who comes across as a real lightweight. And both these families would likely defer to Doran. Doran will, of course, grieve for his eldest son,

Spoiler

but if he's got another Targaryen to fall back on,

the big plan is still going forward.

9 hours ago, Littlefinger's crewman said:

It wasn't just quentyn, most of his crew dies. It was meant to show the journey across the sea is fraught with danger. Also, GRRM loves to show people fail spectacularly, and Quentyn's fail was epic  

2 hours ago, zandru said:

I don't see

Take a step back and look harder, a not small portion of ADWD is about turning Dorne against Dany.

More than that, everything regarding Elia, the children and Oberyn is a trial run for the main event. It is a demonstration of the passion, defiance and violence that Dorne readies when wronged, with only Doran to keep a lid on it. He's either not going to want to, not be able to, or be dead, when Dorne's ire turns on Dany. Unbowed, unbent, unbroken and Dorne's history with the dragons is also groundwork for their war with Dany.

I think it is interesting to remember, and easy to forget that Quentyns plan was working.  He was subduing the dragon he was focusing on.  He got burned by the other dragon he had not been paying attention to.  This suggests that dragons can be tamed either by people with very little Targ blood, or possibly even none at all as Quentyns was generations back.

To give Aegon 20,000 Dornish spears. Add his 10,000 Golden company, and say 10,000 Stormlanders after he captures Storm's End and he will be well above 40,000. They will assist him to defeat Mace Tyrell, with Randyl Tarly probably going over to Aegon, along with a fair number of loyalist Targaryen Reach lords. That will take Aegon's strength to 60,000 or more.

Basically, he needs to dominate southron Westeros by the time Dany arrives, in order to force the two Targs into a "Dance of the Dragons", which the last book was meant to cover if the plot had stayed apace with the Book titles.

Archived