US Politics: The Ides of Mueller

Paladin of Ice

48 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

This is a nonsensical statement.  It obviously means you should be able to fire them for cause.

Nope. And the fact that you keep repeating this means you still don't get it.

You can have grounds to fire an employee and you will still get in trouble if it can be shown you fired them for, say, their race.

It doesn't matter if there were actually grounds to fire McCabe. It's fairly clear that's not why they fired him and so he should have a case here. A fairly good one given as far as we know this was done in a rush outside procedure, he was literally 26 hours from retirement and everything they've said about him before and after.

41 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Nope. And the fact that you keep repeating this means you still don't get it.

It's you who doesn't get that all I was saying that the DOJ presumably does have legitimate grounds to fire McCabe, and this provides them a valid case.  Does McCabe have a case too - even a fairly good one?  Yeah.

Trump's reaction on Twitter, gloating about how clever he is for getting McCabe fired, shows why his lawyers will never let him testify in person under any circumstances.

Well, at least, not the foreseeable future. Why are they still working for him? He doesn't pay his bills, including a colossal $130,000 bribe to shut one of his mistresses. Why on earth don't they cut him loose? He's hard to work for and they're not getting paid.

Assuming, of course, the RNC really has stopped paying them. Remember when it turned out they were fronting the costs? And his re-election campaign, established on day 1 of his presidency, is also helping fund it. Seriously, his donors are utterly and outrageously stupid.

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

I honestly hate this shit. First of all fuck Comey, full stop. Second of all, why the fuck do we need to wait for these people's books in order to find out WTF is happening to our suddenly very fragile democratic republic? 

15 minutes ago, Relic said:

I honestly hate this shit. First of all fuck Comey, full stop. Second of all, why the fuck do we need to wait for these people's books in order to find out WTF is happening to our suddenly very fragile democratic republic? 

Because Comey is following Trump's lead: if you're going to be in government, you ought to make money off it on the side.

2 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Because Comey is following Trump's lead: if you're going to be in government, you ought to make money off it on the side.

Hard to shake the feeling that we're all getting trolled by a bunch of people who are simultaneously robbing us blind. 

Soufan said that the McCabe firing, combined with the recent nomination of Gina Haspel to be CIA director, sent a clear message to law-enforcement and intelligence officials. Haspel is a longtime CIA official who oversaw a secret “black site” in Thailand where detainees were subject to waterboarding and other so-called enhanced interrogation techniques; she was later involved in the decision to destroy videotapes of waterboarding sessions.

“A lot of these FBI agents have families, mortgages, kids, and they just want to put fear in your heart. They want to make you think twice before doing your job,” Soufan said. “At the same time, you can destroy tapes, torture people, and we’ll have your back.

“It’s a very chilling message," he said.

McCabe’s Firing Chips Away at the Justice Department’s Independence
Shortly after he was dismissed Friday by Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the former FBI deputy director pinned the blame directly on President Trump.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/presidential-target-andrew-mccabe-was-just-fired-from-the-fbi/555857/

All of which has led many observers to wonder: Are we in the midst of a constitutional crisis? And if so, would we even know?

A quick search on Google Trends shows that public interest in constitutional crises has scaled up impressively in the time since Trump’s election, with spikes in interest appearing at particularly fraught moments: the first travel ban, James Comey’s firing, and several points at which Trump appeared to be on the brink of dismissing Special Counsel Robert Mueller. Now, with the firing of McCabe, the specter of constitutional crisis has reappeared.

Is America on the Verge of a Constitutional Crisis?
As the Trump presidency approaches a troubling tipping point, it’s time to find the right term for what’s happening to democracy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/is-america-on-the-verge-of-a-constitutional-crisis/555860/

29 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Is America on the Verge of a Constitutional Crisis?
As the Trump presidency approaches a troubling tipping point, it’s time to find the right term for what’s happening to democracy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/is-america-on-the-verge-of-a-constitutional-crisis/555860/

On the verge? Man, where the fuck you been Atlantic. America is like mid-crisis. Mid-multiple-crisis really.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

We live in America. Capitalism at its finest.

1 hour ago, Shryke said:

On the verge? Man, where the fuck you been Atlantic. America is like mid-crisis. Mid-multiple-crisis really.

Nothing about Trump's presidency is normal, nothing.  

5 hours ago, Relic said:

One hundred percent agreed. He's a piece of shit, just like every other person who has collaborated with this shit-ass Administration.

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

One hundred percent agreed. He's a piece of shit, just like every other person who has collaborated with this shit-ass Administration.

Fucker should have grown a spine mid-2016 and maybe not gone behind the DOJ's back twice to try and shit all over Clinton.

16 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Russian ballot stuffing.

https://t.co/yBEeAbsXBV

NPR had an interesting show about this on Friday, an about some of the people who do poll watching and their efforts to track and prevent fraud.  Apparently ballot stuffing can be a bit blatant at times.

BELAYA: (Through interpreter) We were observers, but we were not truly allowed to observe. They kept us out of the way so we couldn't see anything. But then I accidentally passed a ballot box, and I witnessed the vice president of the committee stuffing 23 ballots into one of the boxes. I tried grabbing them from him, but he pushed me away. So I kept trying, and finally I was able to snatch them from him. But he cut his hand, and blood spilled on the ballots and on the floor. It looked like a thriller scene.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/16/594364427/election-watchdog-group-in-moscow-says-russian-voter-fraud-is-rising

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

A petulant utter pig of a person to willfully try and damage a persons retirement benefit. Trump is a pitiful wreck of a man, he will end in ruin soon, mark my words.

So far every prediction that he will will fail hasn't come to pass. Why do you suppose that is ?  

Archived