US Politics: The Ides of Mueller

Paladin of Ice

2 hours ago, felice said:

If you throw rocks at a precarious hillside until it starts an avalanche that kills someone underneath, I'd say you're directly responsible for the death. If you work to increase the profile and power of fascists until they kill someone...

The point is you need to separate the direct and indirect externalities. I have not seen any reporting that indicates that people died as a direct result of the Russian meddling, but it's easy to find indirect examples, such as Trump calling for the death penalty for drug dealers while Clinton would have like continued to push for a kinder form of criminal justice reform. 

8 hours ago, maarsen said:

Just a quibble but R Daneel Olivaw was not in the original Foundation trilogy. He was introduced in The Caves of Steel, and reintroduced in the prequels to Foundation later on. I so rarely need to find fault with you posts , FB, please excuse this bit of pedantry.

Tsk tsk. Asimov decided to unite the Robot series, the Empire series and the Foundation series, and Daneel is definitely thee central character of the Foundation series, even if you don't find out until the end. He's the longest living character in his books, just under 20,000 years, although I must say it was his relationship with Elijah Bailey that I loved most of all.

And Jace? Asimov was waaaaaayyyyy better than Orwell, because Asimov knew it would be mathematicians who were important!

34 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Why is any partisan bias allowed? Why do governments get to draw their own maps? America needs to follow the lead of civilised nations, who give this power to independent bodies.

I've heard one person (who is in favour of partisan setting of boundaries) argue that making it openly partisan is transparent, because you know the people in control of the map are partisan so you know what will be motivating them when they draw the lines on the map. But if you make it an "independent" body all you are doing is hiding the partisan bias of those who are on this independent body, and therefore you will still get biased maps only it's covert partisanship rather than transparent partisanship.

Their assumption/assertion of course is that no one can be trusted to be more loyal to the system than to their own partisan political interest. And the way the USA is so divided at the moment, I'm not sure they are wrong. If you can't go for a non-partisan independant body, then why not go for a bi-partisan body? Where each side gets to appoint an equal number of people to the body, and re-districting has to be agreed by consensus rather than simple majority vote.

29 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That's high school reading dude.

If you're gonna try and be edgy and smart in your falsely edgy and smart sea lioning, at least put in some effort.

Seveneves or Steel Beach.

At least have some pride, man.

Limbo by Bernard Wolfe 

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Tsk tsk. Asimov decided to unite the Robot series, the Empire series and the Foundation series, and Daneel is definitely thee central character of the Foundation series, even if you don't find out until the end. He's the longest living character in his books, just under 20,000 years, although I must say it was his relationship with Elijah Bailey that I loved most of all.

And Jace? Asimov was waaaaaayyyyy better than Orwell, because Asimov knew it would be mathematicians who were important!

I was trying to keep it basic. Don't act like I'm the one who was decrying the lack of people reading two books you can find on every HS books list.

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I was trying to keep it basic. Don't act like I'm the one who was decrying the lack of people reading two books you can find on every HS books list.

LImbo by Bernard Wolfe  Also I recommend  some other book you might find of interest via PM.

Well I'm pretty backed up with

Meditations

Through the Maelstrom

Blood Red Snow

The Storm of Steel

The Girl With Seven Names

atm, but when I'm in the mood for fiction I've got my eye on the Harry Potter series.

I'll keep it in mind though.

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Well I'm pretty backed up with

Meditations

Through the Maelstrom

Blood Red Snow

The Storm of Steel

The Girl With Seven Names

atm, but when I'm in the mood for fiction I've got my eye on the Harry Potter series.

I'll keep it in mind though.

I mentioned several other books to you ? 

I have about 50 books going at any on time. :D

7 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

I mentioned several other books to you ? 

I have about 50 books going at any on time. :D

Right on. I get really antsy so I listen to/read several books concurrently.

Unless I'm reading something extraordinarily of interest which would pretty much exclusively be Winds or 'I Sucked Vlad's Dick' by Donald Trump at this point.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Right on. I get really antsy so I listen to/read several books concurrently.

Unless I'm reading something extraordinarily of interest which would pretty much exclusively be Winds or 'I Sucked Vlad's Dick' by Donald Trump at this point.

Trump can't write shit, that last one will never be a book.

It goes straight to the big screen.

Also, (for Garo'): 50 books at any given time? I don't think that really qualifies as reading anymore.

25 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, Harry Potter 5 is pretty much happening RIGHT NOW.

Who is Umbridge in this tale? 

13 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Trump can't write shit, that last one will never be a book.

Makes me wonder between his lack of reading and writing skills, how did this dude ever graduate from college? The three best ideas I can come up with are:

a). Bribed The Professors 

b). Bribed A Peer Into Doing His Work

c). Bullied A Peer Into Doing His Work

d). All Of The Above

My monies on D! 

6 minutes ago, Notone said:

I hope for a Russian tv documentary in a distant future after Putin.

"Showered in Gold the Donald Trump Story"

In 20 years kids are only going to know the phrase 'showered in gold' or 'covered in gold' as a piss thing after a sitting U.S. President's fetish is brought public in his impeachment.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Who is Umbridge in this tale? 

Nunes

ETA: It's getting hard to make comparisons because most Authors make characters that are interesting and multi-faceted so they do bad things but think they're the good guy.

Every day makes the remaining Trumpers more and more poorly developed characters.

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Nunes

ETA: It's getting hard to make comparisons because most Authors make characters that are interesting and multi-faceted so they do bad things but think they're the good guy.

Every day makes the remaining Trumpers more and more poorly developed characters.

He's way too dumb. I was thinking Stephen Miller fills this role. 

Archived