Dancing With Dragons

4 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

The thing I've noticed about your posts is that you never address the questions asked or issues raised you simply rework your argument into an ever weaker position.

What questions?

8 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

How does quoting the part about the caves prove anything? You havne't answered any of my points here.

In my opinion, I did answered to your question, about why I think, that Viseryon could be a female. And Rhaegel too.

Drogon was ALWAYS bigger than the other two. Even when they were in an egg stage. Drogon's egg was bigger and havier than the other two.

Furthermore his behaviour was also different. You yourself mentioned it, that he was more agressive and active that the other two, or something like that. Which is right. Male animals are nearly always (if they are healthy, and were born without serious deviations) bigger and more agressive, and eat more, than females.

Now about caves. It isn't necessary for dragons to live in a cave. Dany's dragons lived in the open, prior she locked them under pyramid. But after they were locked there, Viseryon wasn't content in living there in the open. He made himself a niche in the ceiling. Which could be an indication that he is actually a she, and she wants to live in a more secure environment, than the open pit.

Dragons are reptilians, so they are based on other similar species. GRRM in that scene even described Viseryon with word serpent. Among all snakes, only King Cobra lay eggs in nests. But only female Cobras make nests. Males do not play any role in building or guarding the nest. Source ->

https://pogirigowrishankar.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/king-cobra-nests/

"For reptiles that have limbs, a nest is generally built, even if it's just a hole in the ground that the female has scratched out."

https://sciencing.com/reptiles-typically-lay-their-eggs-4672882.html

So based on Viseryon's behaviour, could be that she's a girl. And Rhaegel also could be a girl, but she isn't nesting yet, because she's less developed than Viseryon (Visenya). She doesn't have yet an urge to make a nest, let's say that she hasn't flowered yet, unlike her older sister Visenya. Pale egg did hatched first out of three, so Viseryon/Visenya is the oldest out of Dany's dragons.

And I wrote about caves on Dragonstone, where Targaryen dragons layed eggs, because those caves, combined with Viseryon digging a mini-cave, could be a proof, that female dragons make themselves caves/nests, by digging and burning stone. Thus Viseryon is a she. Could be.

Anyone who has ever had a baby knows that wrapping them in your hair would be firstly fucking stupid, and secondly would be fucking painful. I mean have you ever felt what it is like to have a baby grab a fistful of your hair and yank it?  And you think human women wrapped them up in it? 

I have read that theory in a book.

This is gibberish. The woodswitch gave a prophesy that TPTWP would come from the line of Aerys & Rhaella. Which tells us Stannis can not be it as his line is not from their union. You can't just change what child of three means in order to shoehorn Rhaego into that descriptor. In your explanation for Rhaego your saying he is the third descendant of Jaehaerys chronologically but that is nonsense you abandon Rhaella in your line for Rhaego and Jon but have to put her in in order to make your idea work for Dany. Either Rhaella is a person who is relivant in this line of descent or she isn't. You don't get to ignore her till you need her. I'm going to assume you meant Rhaegar for Jon cos if not then WTF? 

Is this a question too? ^_^

As I already wrote before, all three of them (Jon, Dany, Rhaego) could be child of three, from Jaehaerys' line. The woodswitch gave the prophecy to Jaehaerys, so he is first out of those three "parents". So it's about Jaehaerys' blood, his genes, his chromosomes, his descendants.

Males has XY chromosomes. Females has XX. Children receive one of their chromosomes from their father, and the other from their mother.

Jaehaerys - XjYj

Shaera - Xs1Xs2

Lyanna - Xl1Xl2

Drogo - XdYd

Jaehaerys + Shaera = XjYj + Xs1Xs2 = XjXs1 or XjXs2 or YjXs1 or YjXs2

Rhaella could be XjXs1 or XjXs2 (XX - female DNA), and Aerys could be YjXs1 or YjXs2 (XY - male).

Rhaella + Aerys = (XjXs1 + YjXs1) or (XjXs1 + YjXs2) or (XjXs2 + YjXs1) or (XjXs2 + YjXs2) = XjYj or XjXs1 or Xs1Yj or Xs1Xs1, XjYj or XjXs2 or Xs1Yj or Xs1Xs2, XjYj or XjXs1 or Xs2Yj or Xs2Xs1, XjYj or XjXs2 or Xs2Yj or Xs2Xs2.

Rhaegar's possible models - XjYj, Xs1Yj, YjXs2.

Dany's possible models, that have in them Jaehaerys' chromosome - XjXs1, XjXs2.

Rhaegar + Lyanna = (XjYj + Xl1Xl2) or (Xs1Yj + Xl1Xl2) or (YjXs2 + Xl1Xl2) = Jon XY - YjXl1 or YjXl2.

Dany + Drogo = (XjXs1 + XdYd) or (XjXs2 + XdYd) = Rhaego XY - XjYd

Jon (Xl1Yj or Xl2Yj), Dany (XjXs1 or XjXs2), Rhaego (XjYd) - all three are carriers of Jaehaerys' j-genes, Jon inherited his Y-chromosome, and Dany with Rhaego his X-chromosome, and Dany got that Xj chromosome from her mother Rhaella, that got it from her father Jaehaerys. So as I already wrote before, one of Dany's three is a female, but from that female Dany inherited Xj chromosome that Rhaella got from Jaehaerys.

So all three - Jon, Dany and Rhaego, are carriers of Jaehaerys' genes.

Rhaego got his Xj chromose from Dany, who got it from Rhaela, who got it from Jaehaerys.

Jon got his Yj chromosome from his father Rhaegar, who got it from Aerys, who got it from Jaehaerys.

Dany got her Xj chromosome from her mother Rhaella, who got it from Jaehaerys, and she got her other X from Aerys. Even though from him Dany inherited Xs1 or Xs2 of Shaera, that are not Jaehaerys' genes. But Dany's second chromosome from a pair of genes, is still from Jaehaerys' line, from his daughter, that is also a part of a prophecy. <- this last part is a bit confusing, the point is that both Aerys and Rhaella from whom Dany got her genes, both are Jaehaerys' children, and thus both are part of a prophecy. But Dany passed to her own child only one of those chromosomes, only Xj from Rhaella, and Rhaego is a carrier of XjYd, so he doesn't have Aerys' Xs chromosomes.

While Jon's and Rhaego's other chromosomes in a pair, are not from Jaehaerys' line - they have Lyanna's and Drogo's genes, as their second chromosome. Jon and Rhaego don't have genes of both Aerys and Rhaella, unlike Dany, they carry genes only from one of them, in Jon's case that's Aerys' Yj, and in Rhaego's case that's Rhaella's Xj. Nevertheless all three fit into the prophecy, as Jaehaerys' descendants, and carriers of his Xj or Yj chromosomes.

4 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Could be that Rhaego's heart literally burnt out ?

Could be, but why would it? You (and others) think that Rhaego died as result of blood magic ritual. So if he was supposedly killed by blood magic, then how is fire could be related to his death? Mirri didn't performed fire magic on Drogo.

57 minutes ago, Megorova said:

What questions?

In my opinion, I did answered to your question, about why I think, that Viseryon could be a female. And Rhaegel too.

Drogon was ALWAYS bigger than the other two. Even when they were in an egg stage. Drogon's egg was bigger and havier than the other two.

Furthermore his behaviour was also different. You yourself mentioned it, that he was more agressive and active that the other two, or something like that. Which is right. Male animals are nearly always (if they are healthy, and were born without serious deviations) bigger and more agressive, and eat more, than females.

Now about caves. It isn't necessary for dragons to live in a cave. Dany's dragons lived in the open, prior she locked them under pyramid. But after they were locked there, Viseryon wasn't content in living there in the open. He made himself a niche in the ceiling. Which could be an indication that he is actually a she, and she wants to live in a more secure environment, than the open pit.

Dragons are reptilians, so they are based on other similar species. GRRM in that scene even described Viseryon with word serpent. Among all snakes, only King Cobra lay eggs in nests. But only female Cobras make nests. Males do not play any role in building or guarding the nest. Source ->

"For reptiles that have limbs, a nest is generally built, even if it's just a hole in the ground that the female has scratched out."

So based on Viseryon's behaviour, could be that she's a girl. And Rhaegel also could be a girl, but she isn't nesting yet, because she's less developed than Viseryon (Visenya). She doesn't have yet an urge to make a nest, let's say that she hasn't flowered yet, unlike her older sister Visenya. Pale egg did hatched first out of three, so Viseryon/Visenya is the oldest out of Dany's dragons.

And I wrote about caves on Dragonstone, where Targaryen dragons layed eggs, because those caves, combined with Viseryon digging a mini-cave, could be a proof, that female dragons make themselves caves/nests, by digging and burning stone. Thus Viseryon is a she. Could be.

As I already wrote before, all three of them (Jon, Dany, Rhaego) could be child of three, from Jaehaerys' line. The woodswitch gave the prophecy to Jaehaerys, so he is first out of those three "parents". So it's about Jaehaerys' blood, his genes, his chromosomes, his descendants.

Males has XY chromosomes. Females has XX. Children receive one of their chromosomes from their father, and the other from their mother.

Jaehaerys - XjYj

Shaera - Xs1Xs2

Lyanna - Xl1Xl2

Drogo - XdYd

Rhaella could be XjXs1 or XjXs2 (XX - female DNA), and Aerys could be YjXs1 or YjXs2 (XY - male).

Rhaella + Aerys = (XjXs1 + YjXs1) or (XjXs1 + YjXs2) or (XjXs2 + YjXs1) or (XjXs2 + YjXs2) = XjYj or XjXs1 or Xs1Yj or Xs1Xs1, XjYj or XjXs2 or Xs1Yj or Xs1Xs2, XjYj or XjXs1 or Xs2Yj or Xs2Xs1, XjYj or XjXs2 or Xs2Yj or Xs2Xs2.

Rhaegar + Lyanna = (XjYj + Xl1Xl2) or (Xs1Yj + Xl1Xl2) or (YjXs2 + Xl1Xl2) = Jon XY - YjXl1 or YjXl2.

Jon (Xl1Yj or Xl2Yj), Dany (XjXs1 or XjXs2), Rhaego (XjYd) - all three are carriers of Jaehaerys' j-genes, Jon inherited his Y-chromosome, and Dany with Rhaego his X-chromosome, and Dany got that Xj chromosome from her mother Rhaella, that got it from her father Jaehaerys. So as I already wrote before, one of Dany's three is a female, but from that female Dany inherited Xj chromosome that Rhaella got from Jaehaerys.

Rhaego got his Xj chromose from Dany, who got it from Rhaela, who got it from Jaehaerys.

Jon got his Yj chromosome from his father Rhaegar, who got it from Aerys, who got it from Jaehaerys.

Dany got her Xj chromosome from her mother Rhaella, who got it from Jaehaerys, and she got her other X from Aerys. Even though from him Dany inherited Xs1 or Xs2 of Shaera, that are not Jaehaerys' genes. But Dany's second chromosome from a pair of genes, is still from Jaehaerys' line, from his daughter, that is also a part of a prophecy. <- this last part is a bit confusing, the point is that both Aerys and Rhaella from whom Dany got her genes, both are Jaehaerys' children, and thus both are part of a prophecy. But Dany passed to her own child only one of those chromosomes, only Xj from Rhaella, and Rhaego is a carrier of XjYd, so he doesn't have Aerys' Xs chromosomes.

While Jon's and Rhaego's other chromosomes in a pair, are not from Jaehaerys' line - they have Lyanna's and Drogo's genes, as their second chromosome. Jon and Rhaego don't have genes of both Aerys and Rhaella, unlike Dany, they carry genes only from one of them, in Jon's case that's Aerys' Yj, and in Rhaego's case that's Rhaella's Xj. Nevertheless all three fit into the prophecy, as Jaehaerys' descendants, and carriers of his Xj or Yj chromosomes.

Could be, but why would it? You (and others) think that Rhaego died as result of blood magic ritual. So if he was supposedly killed by blood magic, then how is fire could be related to his death? Mirri didn't performed fire magic on Drogo.

:o

1 hour ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

@Megorova you’re making so many false conclusions here, I’m surprised you can’t see it.

1. Do you realise how contrived it is to chuck Rhaella into Daenerys’s ancestry “because she’s female”?

2. And how on earth do you link the son of Drogo to the egg next to his head and not the egg between his legs?

3. You’re not deriving your conclusions from the text, you’re misinterpreting the text to fit your own conclusions. I’m certainly not claiming to know who will ride which dragon etc., but your over-confidence in your own theory is certainly unearned.

1. Read my previous post, I wrote there simple model with pairs of chromosomes. Rhaella is also one of Rhaego's three. Dany got Jaehaerys' Xj genes from Rhaella, not from Aerys. If she got Aerys'/Jaehaerys' Yj gene, then she would have been Rhaegar :)

2. :lmao:

That's because Dany coiled Drogo's braid around green egg, near his head. Dothraki braids are a symbol of their fighting prowess. Khal with uncut hair is undefeated khal. And the prophecy said that Dany's son will be the Stallion that will mount the world, khal of khals, that will unite all Dothraki into one khalasar, and all people of the world will be his herd. In my opinion that equals to being undefeated. So the fact that Dany coiled Drogo's braid around that egg, is an indication that dragonrider of this dragon, will be like Drogo was - an undefeated khal.

And also their names - egg above Drogo's head was green and bronze, dragon with that coloring was named by Dany - Rhaegel. And she named her son Rhaego. Both were named after Dany's brother Rhaegar.

And also when Dany took one of dragon eggs into her bed, when she was laying there, the baby inside her moved. And Dany thought that they responded to each other, like blood to blood, brother to brother. That was Rhaegel's egg.

And the coloring could also be a hint - Rhaegel's colors are green and bronze, like Dothraki Sea and Dothraki. Dothraki not only have bronze arakhs, they also have bronze skin. In Dany's dream Rhaego's skin was described as copper, copper is a base metal for forging bronze.

So my conclusion is based on four points - 1. similar names, 2. similar coloring, 3. placement of that egg on funeral pyre, and 4. the baby moving in response to proximity of that egg.

3. I don't claim that I KNOW, I'm saying that that COULD BE. That's different things. My opinion and theory about Rhaego is based on what was written in the book. Maybe I did misinterpreted what was there. But maybe I didn't. We will know for sure, only from next book. Because I think that if Rhaego is alive, then he is in Vaes Dothrak, and Dany will reunite with him there.

What's the point of arguing? So far, based on what was in the books, I think that Rhaego is alive. And my opinion about that won't change, until his death will be confirmed. I will agree that Rhaego is dead, if Dany won't meet with him in Vaes Dothrak. Though he could be in Asshai, and thus could be reunited with his mother after she will get out of Vaes Dothrak. But based on what else I read in the book, and based on which I have a theory, that Rhaego will become second dragonrider, prior Jon, then Rhaego needs to be reunited with Dany soon, and not by the end of books.

So I will agree that Rhaego is dead, if he won't be in Vaes Dothrak, and if people there won't be talking about him being still alive, and being somewhere else, like in Asshai, or away with Khal Pono.

Some people are convinced, that Mance Rayder is Rhaegar Targaryen, or Arthur Dayne, and that Daenerys is daughter of Ashara Dayne and Brandon Stark. So my theory, about Rhaego being still alive, is not the worst there is. :cheers:

P.S. Sorry for editing my post many times :blush: English is my fourth language, so I'm writting with mistakes, and then correct them after re-reading what I wrote. 

On 3/16/2018 at 6:20 PM, 867-5309 said:

These three are no likely to bond with Dany's dragons.  But Marwyn is almost sure to get accepted in Dany's service.  

Nope none of the three gets to ride.  But Marwyn and Victarion bring a lot of assets to the table.  Discount the horn and just the ships are enough to give him significant bargaining power.  Marwyn brings important information too.  Moquorro brings his entire religion to Dany's cause.  We can be sure there will be negotiating and compromising going on.  Victarion could ask for independence and Moquorro wants his church the state religion.

Maester Tutone

On 21/03/2018 at 7:42 PM, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

I agree with your comment but your logic doesn’t really work here. Jon is Rhaegar’s third child, but Lyanna’s first/only. I don’t prescribe to A+J=T but Tyrion would be Aerys’s second child and Joanna’s third, making Daenerys Aerys’s fourth child and Rhaella’s third. All third born of one parent, but Jon would be thirdborn only through his father and Tyrion and Daenerys only through their mothers, which doesn’t really seem to fit with a poetic “third child” theme. Or maybe I’m being too subjective here.

Yes, You're quite right. I think rather that saying they are each third children we should think more of the actual wording. "Child of Three" they are each one of three children.  

I mean Dany isn't a child of three at all really as Aerys & Rhaella in fact had lots of children. But she is one of the three who survived. And the statement is made about her. The links between her, Jon, & Tyrion  can be made using that child of three deceleration. But she isn't strictly speaking one of three.So I don't think we need to be too stringent in our child of three criteria. Aerys had many children, and Lyanna only one. But still the subjects of this discussion can be said and seen to be each one of three sets of three siblings. 

On 21/03/2018 at 8:27 PM, Megorova said:

What questions?

Jaehaerys - XjYj

Shaera - Xs1Xs2

Lyanna - Xl1Xl2

Drogo - XdYd

This is bonkers. 

You're ideas about the dragons being female are based on sexist nonsense. Many animals are the opposite to humans In fact it is very common that the female is the larger of the sexes. That they consume more food because they're the ones who gestate & feed the young, and so need more calories etc. Even in fish often the males are smaller. 

You're making assumptions based upon your own ideas. We have to look at what the text tells us about Dragons not what you think about them. The world book is a great resource in this regard, as are the texts which actually have dragons in them, such as TP&TQ, etc. And then we have Septon Barth who is pretty much the most reliable resource we have on Dragons. So paying attention to what he said about them is a good start.  And he tells us that Dragons are not a fixed sex, they can change sex as needed.

So A Dragon thought of as Male might not have been male at all. And likewise a Dragon known as female might not be. Syrax was said to be female, as it laid eggs. But according to Barth and Aemon too a dragon is neither male nor female. 

You think that making a lair indicates the dragon is of the female sex.And interpret that lair as a nest but it is never called that in the text. So to me this seems to be based upon your own ideas about gender roles. You interpret that making a lair indicates a desire for security, and you assume female because to you a female must want security in order to procreate. But Males also like a nice spot to put their heads down. This is like some "happy homemaker" woman's role bollocks. You're literally trying to paint a dragon as the little woman.  Dragons traditionally in the fantasy genre make lairs. Cannibal is thought of as male in world, and he certainly fits your idea of the big dominant hungry aggressive male, yet he has a lair on dragonstone. Are you calling that a nest too? Was Cannibal a little woman desirous of a safe little nest for her babies? 

The largest and oldest of the wild dragons was the Cannibal, so named because he had been known to feed on the carcasses of dead dragons, and descend upon the hatcheries of Dragonstone to gorge himself on newborn hatchlings and eggs. Would-be dragontamers had made attempts to ride him a dozen times; his lair was littered with their bones.

When we look at the in world history of Dragons they seem to like to live in caverns/caves etc in and around volcanoes.  Their sex isn't automatically part of that, especially given that we are told they change sex. 

You know saying vaguely I read it in a book is an unconvincing argument. I mean Thomas the Tank engine is a book but I don't think steam engines are sentient beings.  You will forgive me if my own human experience of having hair and having babies tells me this is a pile of shit. Especially when I can add to that experience with and a broad knowledge of natural mother baby dyad behaviours around the world , attachment theory, and social and cultural history.

I can't even address the gene stuff as every time I try to phrase my thoughts it just sounds incredibly rude. And I do try not to be rude when at all possible.   

• 3 weeks later...

Archived