Euron Greyjoy and his Obsession with Mutes????

House Beaudreau

Throughout our introduction to Euron we learn that Euron's ship the Silence is crewed by Mutes, He gifted the Dusky Woman to Victarion with her tongue cut out. In the Preview Chapter in TWOW we see a newly made tongueless mute. My question is this, is this some sort of fetish for Euron or is there some darker purpose?  Does he have some sort of Telepathic connection with his mutes? Meaning he could be spying on Victarion with the Dusky Woman.

We see similar things in the story but they all seem to be fetish or reputation driven and no more, like Vargo Hoat and taking hands and feet, the Weeper cutting out the eyes of his foes, The Boltons and flaying, Shagga cutting off manhoods and feeding it to goats. But Euron's mutes seem to be more than for fun, mainly he is doing it to people that work for him and continue to work for him. 

Does it have any connection to Varys' little birds and their tongues getting cut out???    

Silence is golden.  Euron likes to hear himself talk.  He doesn't want to hear another voice.  Perhaps he doesn't want someone to use a spell against him.  The spell must be spoken to have power.  Having the only voice on board gives him the only power to use spells.

Two more things to consider besides Varys's little birds which I think you correctly pointed out as relevant.

The line we are given with relation to cutting out tongues that I can't be bothered looking up to quote is something like that it proves the truth of what someone says and that you fear what they say.

Secondly what happened with Thistle and Varamyr when Varamyr tried to skinchange/second life her. She (or he) bit their own tongue off.

What about the Silent SIsters, AKA Death's Handmaids, or, the Stranger's Wives? These ship-lackeys could be the twisted version of the sisters?

But really, it is probably because Euron wants obedience, worship, fear and control over all who he keeps in his company.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

What about the Silent SIsters, AKA Death's Handmaids, or, the Stranger's Wives? These ship-lackeys could be the twisted version of the sisters?

But really, it is probably because Euron wants obedience, worship, fear and control over all who he keeps in his company.

Yeah,that's my take as well.

There are one or two hints that he's more than he seems-such as a warg who can skinchange the Dusky Woman,or undead because he doesn't appear to have aged in Victarion's eyes.

But there's not enough textual back-up to support these ideas for me,as yet anyway.

2 minutes ago, redriver said:

Yeah,that's my take as well.

There are one or two hints that he's more than he seems-such as a warg who can skinchange the Dusky Woman,or undead because he doesn't appear to have aged in Victarion's eyes.

But there's not enough textual back-up to support these ideas for me,as yet anyway.

Ho-dam! We haven't had this one around in a while :D

21 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ho-dam! We haven't had this one around in a while :D

No.Though this had serious traction back in the day.

Well I suppose Bran broke the mould by skinchanging Hodor,but we know he can skinchange at least.Not necessarily so with Euron.

I had this idea that, while he may like the idea of everyone praying when they see his sails, when folks are serving on his ship, he doesn't want to actually hear any prayers in case they are addressed to gods that don't sound like "Crow's Eye."

14 minutes ago, Therae said:

I had this idea that, while he may like the idea of everyone praying when they see his sails, when folks are serving on his ship, he doesn't want to actually hear any prayers in case they are addressed to gods that don't sound like "Crow's Eye."

I like this.He's playing god.

Pretty much everything in the TWOW chapter backs this up.

30 minutes ago, redriver said:

Yep, that was my takeaway from that chapter.

On a slightly more banal note, it might also be that no matter how wacky he is, he probably eats and sleeps and poops over the ship's rails like everyone else, and his crew of all people would know it--and sailors are known in-world (and probably IRL) for spreading news from port to port. If I'm Euron the New Storm God, I don't want it getting around, for example, that I can go through a bushel of sriracha shark jerky in one sitting, or that all that Shade of the Evening is hell on the morning ablutions.

Edit: and yes, I think he's mad enough, bad enough, and dangerous to know enough to take the tongues of his whole crew just to keep them from telling anyone he has bodily functions.

2 hours ago, redriver said:

So Euron takes a literal approach to screwing over his brother?

3 hours ago, redriver said:

Yes, but speaking directly about the mutes. We see that he has made even more mutes in Winds, and collecting holy men, Euron has mentioned hearing prayers multiple times in the story now, He speaks of knowing all the gods too. Is it possible that someone has been messing with his mind? someone like Bloodraven? or someone like Quaithe or Marwyn with a glass candle? Or is Euron on the same level as them and he has some sort of Warging/Green seeing/ telepathic dream powers of his own and cutting out tongues and hearing mute thoughts is his own kind of power system thing? 

and is he serving the others? is He serving the Shrouded Lords? Is he the Corsair King? 

The best kind of ship is one with no leaks.

What happens on the ship stays on the ship.

That means real weird stuff happens onboard, the kind of shit that betrays the human species.   Magical trade secrets are being protected by the Silence.   And where the location of the mother lode is that they found, so no competition for that route arises and Euron doesn't need to worry about guarding it or looking over his shoulder constantly.

also, some gain goes to Euron from that bag full of tongues, like when you roast someone's nuts for the benefits.

It’s also worth mentioning it’s possible Euron is exaggerating his accomplishments/deeds (Rodrik certainly questions the authenticity of his trip to valyria claim)

I personally have no reason to doubt euron but it would be more than enough motive to SILENCE everyone.... (also the name of his ship is silence so it adds to his mystique/fear) 

I could picture him having tortured all his mutes (cutting their tongues in the process) until they become obedient and completely attentive to his needs. Y'know, like he did with Falia: promise her a lot of things, then...

Or, like Ramsay did with Theon.

12 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Secondly what happened with Thistle and Varamyr when Varamyr tried to skinchange/second life her. She (or he) bit their own tongue off.

Thistle was trying to commit suicide. She had no ability to get at a knife to stab herself to death; all she had was her teeth, and a severed tongue would bleed profusely. That's why the stump is normally cauterized when a tongue is cut out, unless it's part of an execution.

7 hours ago, House Beaudreau said:

He speaks of knowing all the gods too. Is it possible that someone has been messing with his mind?

Euron has been "messing with his mind." We know he uses the drug that the wizards of Qarth always take. This probably isn't his only "consciousness-expanding" potion.

9 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

So Euron takes a literal approach to screwing over his brother?

Har! I'm skeptical about the "warging" bit (as well as Euron even having that capability*), but there's something weird going on with the Dusky Woman, and Victarion isn't the only dunce trying to figure out what it is.

------------

The only rationale that I've yet seen that Euron is somehow a warg - and a Bloodraven-trained greenseer - is that he said he once, one time, said he "dreamed" that he could fly. But everyone, literally EVERYONE, has that dream, usually fairly often. Big whoop.

19 hours ago, House Beaudreau said:

My question is this, is this some sort of fetish for Euron or is there some darker purpose?  Does he have some sort of Telepathic connection with his mutes? Meaning he could be spying on Victarion with the Dusky Woman.

He does it because the ship's crew can't tell anyone what happens on the ship. Sailors naturally talk and spies pick up on these talks. They can't talk if they don't have tongues. No one in this medieval world is literate so they can't write either. 

He probably doesn't have a telepathic connection but the dusky woman probably has her own mission from Euron. As someone (Aeron?) says, Euron's gifts are poisoned. She's probably there to make sure Victarion doesn't do anything Euron wouldn't want him to. 

Also, Euron's a bit of a psycho so he probably gets a sick pleasure from cutting people's tongues off and taking something very valuable away from them. 

2 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

He does it because the ship's crew can't tell anyone what happens on the ship. Sailors naturally talk and spies pick up on these talks. They can't talk if they don't have tongues. No one in this medieval world is literate so they can't write either. 

He probably doesn't have a telepathic connection but the dusky woman probably has her own mission from Euron. As someone (Aeron?) says, Euron's gifts are poisoned. She's probably there to make sure Victarion doesn't do anything Euron wouldn't want him to. 

Also, Euron's a bit of a psycho so he probably gets a sick pleasure from cutting people's tongues off and taking something very valuable away from them. 

Yeah on the surface is makes sense to cut out the tongues to cut down on the sailers gossip but how can a crew of mutes successfully sail a ship without vocal communication. Vocal commands are a big part of sailing. Also if he is cutting out there tongues why are they sticking with him? Why not just knife him while he sleeps, or throw him into the sea? The cruelty factor doesn't make sense unless he has some sort of control over them? 

3 minutes ago, House Beaudreau said:

Yeah on the surface is makes sense to cut out the tongues to cut down on the sailers gossip but how can a crew of mutes successfully sail a ship without vocal communication. Vocal commands are a big part of sailing. Also if he is cutting out there tongues why are they sticking with him? Why not just knife him while he sleeps, or throw him into the sea? The cruelty factor doesn't make sense unless he has some sort of control over them? 

Set studding sails and clew the mainbrace are commands that can easily be replaced with grunts.

Archived