Euron Greyjoy and his Obsession with Mutes????

House Beaudreau

On 18/03/2018 at 4:57 PM, Ckram said:

I have always found it odd that a crew of people whose tongues were pulled out by the captain never ripped out the captain's tongue or killed him while he was sleeping.

Fear. And, you know, the fact that are all mute.

They might well want to kill him but they've got to know what he'd do to them if they fail, and since they can't talk, they can't know how the rest of them feel and if they'll support a mutiny. It's hard to conspire with no tongues.

7 hours ago, Haus Berlin said:

I agree, Euron wants to be god. A sea god. His kingdom seems like a cruel inversion of Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid to me.

This is very interesting! Can you elaborate?  In what way is it an inversion? It has been a long time since I read the Anderson tale, I'm sure I'm forgetting everything beyond the basic plot. 

Edit: ok, I just read it again, and I'm still really struggling to see the parallel beyond the obvious someone being unable to speak. Even that doesn't really strike me as a parallel or inversion; she loses her voice in payment for legs leading ironically to her being unable to secure her prince; Euron's mutes have their tongues removed. What am I missing? Is he the Prince in your comparison? The sea witch? The Sea King?

6 hours ago, UnFit Finlay said:

Fear. And, you know, the fact that are all mute.

They might well want to kill him but they've got to know what he'd do to them if they fail, and since they can't talk, they can't know how the rest of them feel and if they'll support a mutiny. It's hard to conspire with no tongues.

I had already taken these arguments into account, but I still can't buy it.

Besides, it does not take a large group to kill Euron while he sleeps.

5 hours ago, Ckram said:

I had already taken these arguments into account, but I still can't buy it.

Besides, it does not take a large group to kill Euron while he sleeps.

Nope. But you'd have to get close to him. You'd have to take out any guards, quickly, and without a struggle, because if Euron wakes up he can summon the rest of the ship and you've got no idea who is going to stand with you or against you. Most likely you'd be cut down as a reflex, before anyone had time to process what you were trying to do.

The other issue is, what do they do once he's dead? How do they decide who is Captain? Or where to go? 

19 hours ago, UnFit Finlay said:

Nope. But you'd have to get close to him. You'd have to take out any guards, quickly, and without a struggle, because if Euron wakes up he can summon the rest of the ship and you've got no idea who is going to stand with you or against you. Most likely you'd be cut down as a reflex, before anyone had time to process what you were trying to do.

The other issue is, what do they do once he's dead? How do they decide who is Captain? Or where to go? 

One way is killing Euron a day before reaching a suitable destination to flee (Braavos, for instance).

So many possibilities that I'd be forced to fanfic.

On 21.3.2018 at 1:56 AM, Bitterblooms said:

This is very interesting! Can you elaborate?  In what way is it an inversion? It has been a long time since I read the Anderson tale, I'm sure I'm forgetting everything beyond the basic plot. 

Edit: ok, I just read it again, and I'm still really struggling to see the parallel beyond the obvious someone being unable to speak. Even that doesn't really strike me as a parallel or inversion; she loses her voice in payment for legs leading ironically to her being unable to secure her prince; Euron's mutes have their tongues removed. What am I missing? Is he the Prince in your comparison? The sea witch? The Sea King?

Thanks for your interest, even going so far to read the text again yourself. Maybe inversion is not the right term here, as Andersen himself inverted worlds a bit for his tale, when he wrote about birds as singing fishes and when the beautifully singing mermaid had to give away her voice in order to enter this world. You would expect a world under water to be pretty silent, but our tale-teller turned his own world into a world full of misunderstandings.

Whereas Andersen describes how a fantasy character tries to become human to gain immortality, GRRM's Ironborn aim for immortality underwater in presence of the sea god and mermaids. Andersen's prince gave preference to a speaking girl, whereas GRRM's Euron prefers his lover mute. Euron seems to anticipate his god's watery halls by slowly turning his own world a little more silent and himself more and more godly. That is all what I hinted at, but I like your three parallels: human prince, silencing and killing sea witch and sea king.

1 hour ago, Haus Berlin said:

Thanks for your interest, even going so far to read the text again yourself. Maybe inversion is not the right term here, as Andersen himself inverted worlds a bit for his tale, when he wrote about birds as singing fishes and when the beautifully singing mermaid had to give away her voice in order to enter this world. You would expect a world under water to be pretty silent, but our tale-teller turned his own world into a world full of misunderstandings.

Whereas Andersen describes how a fantasy character tries to become human to gain immortality, GRRM's Ironborn aim for immortality underwater in presence of the sea god and mermaids. Andersen's prince gave preference to a speaking girl, whereas GRRM's Euron prefers his lover mute. Euron seems to anticipate his god's watery halls by slowly turning his own world a little more silent and himself more and more godly. That is all what I hinted at, but I like your three parallels: human prince, silencing and killing sea witch and sea king.

On 3/19/2018 at 2:30 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Great post and fantastic alias.

I'm of the opinion that Euron is just a psychopath but relatively weak and without magical power.  He wants to be a god, but the best he can do is become king of the iron islands?  The iron islands suck, Euron is a nobody, and he is going to get crushed sooner rather than later, probably by Daenerys.

:)  I expect Euron is the equivalent of Harren the Black.  His mighty ship, which is the analogue to Harrenhal, is the Silence.  

Archived