Alittle question about....character

mrbeanhq

I watch the show but only now I have started the first book (I'm somewhere around the half).

My question to you who have read the books is, do every character has a personal sigil (except the sigil of his/her house)? I know that Sansa has one (a wolf with some leafs/flowers) and Stanis (a flaming heart). But do other characters have also?

Sansa has a personal sigil? That’s the first I’ve heard of it.

Anyway it seems a lot of the Freys have personal sigils (there’s so many of them they need some individuality), even the kids.

Otherwise from what I’ve seen personal sigils seem more common among hedge knights or knights who are way down the line of succession. Bastards too.

2 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Lot? The only Freys, i know have personal sigils are Big, Little and Bastard Walders.

That's three of the Freys we know the most about.

I would imagine that with so many different Freys, differentiating themselves via their heraldry would make sense. Big and Little Walder do so by quartering their arms to show their lineage. Given all the different Lady Freys there have been, differentiating themselves in that manner might be common. Bastard Walder reverses the colours and adds a bend sinister, which is simply something that bastards do. I would guess that those who want to tout their chances of being Lord of the Crossing (Edwyn/Black Walder) might keep the Frey sigil alone. 

There's a SSM about heraldry, where GRRM says the laws of heraldry are pretty fluid http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Heraldry_in_Westeros

3 hours ago, Darion Storm said:

Otherwise from what I’ve seen personal sigils seem more common among hedge knights or knights who are way down the line of succession. Bastards too.

Other examples - Littlefinger uses a mockingbird instead of his grandfather's Titan of Bravos sigil. Joffery, tellingly, gives Lannister arms equal status to Baratheon on his sigil. Blackfish has a black fish.

I don't think Salsa has her own sigil, at least in canon materials. Maybe an artist has imagined one at some point? 

Each house has a sigil, and sometimes individuals within a house that lead their own armies have identifying banners. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about what constitutes a good reason to have a family or individual sigil. I think it's just what you proclaim to the world, like, "I belong to such and such loyalty." Smallfolk would have no sigil. 

1 hour ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Maybe a tortilla chip? 

With nachos on the side.  

Seriously, Sansa gave up being a Stark.  She will have her own sigil if she is to rise to the nobility again.

7 hours ago, mrbeanhq said:

I watch the show but only now I have started the first book (I'm somewhere around the half).

My question to you who have read the books is, do every character has a personal sigil (except the sigil of his/her house)? I know that Sansa has one (a wolf with some leafs/flowers) and Stanis (a flaming heart). But do other characters have also?

Dany will have her own sigil before too long.  Something related to the Dothraki and Mhysa.

8 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Seriously, Sansa gave up being a Stark.  She will have her own sigil if she is to rise to the nobility again.

Who knows? I think a large part of the remaining books will be the surviving Stark children rediscovering their roots. Salsa included. Whether she decides to have her own sigil, I have no idea. 

10 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Dany will have her own sigil before too long.  Something related to the Dothraki and Mhysa.

Again, who knows? She's the Mother of Dragons and the last surviving child of Aerys II. Keeping the dragon sigil for her invasion would be good PR.

1 hour ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

That's a surefire way to undermine all the support she might hope to find in the 7K when she arrives. And she already has a big banner of the Targ three-headed dragon, I can't really see her changing her arms, or any reason for her to do so.

Archived