Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

20 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Interesting...

Hide contents

With Mark, the real life actor died. Glenn Quinn, I think his name was. I was a big Angel fan too, and his character was great in that, and I don't remember the order of events, but his real life death happened while Angel was still on the air--though his drug abuse habits may have forced him off the show by then. I think it's actually pretty nice/sweet they gave him a namesake in the show. From what I understand, people who worked with him genuinely liked him and thought he was a wonderful guy who just couldn't get out from beneath heroin. It's really sad.

I was never a big fan of Roseanne as a person. I liked her outspoken, abrasiveness, but it never felt genuine, I guess. Her political opinions don't really matter to me, and supporting her is not supporting Trump as some would argue. I think people worry about this kind of shit too much, and they need to quit worrying about it. Kumail Nanjiani's Twitter responses to Sarah Silverman (who said she enjoyed the new Roseanne) felt really like a ton of bullshit. Trump's presidency feels like life and death to me too--I literally fear for my son's future, but not because people like Roseanne support him. A real cognitive dissonance exists in this kind of argument.

Ultimately, though, Roseanne's show is such an interesting take on working class Republican ideology, you know? Families who slave away, men like Dan who abhor and resent any help from anyone, and if they're Republican they would vote for people who continue to reinforce these beliefs, yet, support ways to dry up any reasonable work that working class people might find in their hometowns. Dan's attempts to open his own business failing is just so real. Of course that's the old Roseanne.

I couldn't agree with you more on all that. I won't judge anyone badly who explains how they like a certain work even if the person responsible is known to be a less than stellar individual.

For the most part I can do this too. Sometimes people just go too far, like Orson Scott Card, that even if I tried I couldn't enjoy re-reading Ender's Game even though I loved that book and won't go near any new stuff he writes even when it's the more recent Ender stories he's done. But I'd never reprimand anyone who says while they disagree with and/or dislike Card they still enjoy reading his books.

I think the show is doing something interesting, it's just for me Roseanne's antics push me towards not wanting to support her work though I'm not at that point just yet. She's always seemed like someone who makes everything about her and a lot of the times her actions ring phony.

Spoiler

I didn't know about Glenn Quinn's passing. That is sad and I guess the rumors I heard were wrong.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

I couldn't agree with you more on all that. I won't judge anyone badly who explains how they like a certain work even if the person responsible is known to be a less than stellar individual.

For the most part I can do this too. Sometimes people just go too far, like Orson Scott Card, that even if I tried I couldn't enjoy re-reading Ender's Game even though I loved that book and won't go near any new stuff he writes even when it's the more recent Ender stories he's done. But I'd never reprimand anyone who says while they disagree with and/or dislike Card they still enjoy reading his books.

I think the show is doing something interesting, it's just for me Roseanne's antics push me towards not wanting to support her work though I'm not at that point just yet. She's always seemed like someone who makes everything about her and a lot of the times her actions ring phony.

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't know about Glenn Quinn's passing. That is sad and I guess the rumors I heard were wrong.

Spoiler

It's sad--he was a talented guy, and no doubt would've been great in this restart. I probably would've watched it--so great he was on Angel.

2 series on Netflix are my latest views.

Binged through the 2nd season of Occupied (Norwegian) and it was very good like the first, hoping they will do a third season of that maybe?

Also I have now joined the rather large group of fans for Gomorra (Italy). I mmediately binged the first 10 episodes and am all in to view the 2 seasons available in my region.

Both of these series I rate far above average, good stuff.

46 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

2 series on Netflix are my latest views.

Binged through the 2nd season of Occupied (Norwegian) and it was very good like the first, hoping they will do a third season of that maybe?

Also I have now joined the rather large group of fans for Gomorra (Italy). I mmediately binged the first 10 episodes and am all in to view the 2 seasons available in my region.

Both of these series I rate far above average, good stuff.

Gomorrah is the best current series imo and holds its own against some of the best series ever.

I watched Good Time last night. Robert Pattinson was very good in it as a despicable, small-time hood trying to get bail money any way possible for his mentally handicapped brother. Other than the Twilight series, I've liked most of Pattinson's work.

I finished Sneaky Pete S1.  Very good and highly recommended for anyone who likes stories about con men or grifters.  The season climax worked hard to maintain suspense and unpredictability for viewers, unfortunately sacrificing some plausibility to do so, but it was a worthwhile trade-off overall.  Then the epilogue provides the set-up for S2.

I was apprehensive initially that this program would be over-played for tension as Pete maintains his central deception with the family, but it was handled well.  The second season has a strong premise to propel the narrative. 

I watched the first episode of Orphan Black.  It’s definitely worth sticking with to see how it develops. 

My wife has finished Hart Of Dixie and has moved on to Glee.  Could our TV/movie tastes be any further apart?

I watched What We Do in the Shadows, which was good fun, it did have some very funny scenes in it. I liked the contrast between the backstories of the ancient vampires and them all hanging out in suburban New Zealand.

Alias Grace, from the Margaret Atwood novel.  This production is more than classy, all right.  And, of course, it is so Canadian in treatment and orientation, which has always been something I personally liked about reading Atwood's work.

I sometimes like to watch SF shows which involve random shootouts and spacebattles. Preferable a dark setting but not without humor.

Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis used to scratch that itch. 

I had high hopes for Dark Matter but it was canceled.

The new Star Trek series and The Expanse are fun to watch but not exactly what I want. 

Is there anything else out there? Are there spacebattles in Killjoys? 

20 hours ago, williamjm said:

I watched What We Do in the Shadows, which was good fun, it did have some very funny scenes in it. I liked the contrast between the backstories of the ancient vampires and them all hanging out in suburban New Zealand.

"I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool."
"I think of it like this.  If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it."

2 hours ago, briantw said:

"I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool."
"I think of it like this.  If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it."

"This is what happens when you're a vampire. You have to watch everyone die. Your mother and father. All your friends. Sometimes brutal, like slipping and falling onto a giant spike. Or falling asleep in an autumn pile of leaves and having some of them block your windpipe. Or making the simple mistake of fashioning a mask out of crackers and being attacked by ducks, geese, swans."

17 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I was looking for something to binge, and I've never seen Sherlock.  Just watched the first episode and think that I may like this one.  

It is a great pilot episode. The first couple of seasons are very good, although it's sadly gone downhill since then.

On 4/1/2018 at 4:55 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

My wife has finished Hart Of Dixie and has moved on to Glee.  Could our TV/movie tastes be any further apart?

I was coerced to watch an ep of Dixie with my wife about a year ago. That was the first and last time I will watch that. 

Finished season 3 of Love, and while I really like the show it really pushes my suspension of disbelief.  Gus is just so awful.  

I'm watching episode 3 of season 2 of The Santa Clarita Diet.  The first two episodes were fantastic, and Maggie Lawson unleashing a filthy mouth was... not unpleasant. I've had at least one massive out loud laugh moment in these first episodes.

I watched a bunch of movies recently. Molly’s Game was pretty good, especially if you’re a fan or poker/gambling(although they dumb it down at a few spots). With Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba you can’t really go wrong anyways. Although probably a movie I’ll never feel the need to rewatch.

Bright was much better than anticipated. I expected it to be utter shit from what I read on here but was pleasantly surprised that it was actually a fun movie. Nothing mind-blowing but I would definitely watch the sequels. 

Darkest Hour bored me. Gary Oldman was great I guess but mehh. 

Donnie Darko is still great. I haven’t seen it in a while and was happy to see that it still holds up. I delved into some youtube videos and got some clarity on a few things that always confused me too. Brilliant soundtrack also.

18 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched a bunch of movies recently. Molly’s Game was pretty good, especially if you’re a fan or poker/gambling(although they dumb it down at a few spots). With Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba you can’t really go wrong anyways. Although probably a movie I’ll never feel the need to rewatch.

Bright was much better than anticipated. I expected it to be utter shit from what I read on here but was pleasantly surprised that it was actually a fun movie. Nothing mind-blowing but I would definitely watch the sequels. 

Darkest Hour bored me. Gary Oldman was great I guess but mehh. 

Donnie Darko is still great. I haven’t seen it in a while and was happy to see that it still holds up. I delved into some youtube videos and got some clarity on a few things that always confused me too. Brilliant soundtrack also.

I liked Molly's Game, and appreciated the dumbing down because I don't know shit about gambling and specifically poker. I also didn't know anything about the story going in so it was all new to me. And yes, Elba and Chastain were both great 

Archived