Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

Saw a few things over the weekend.

The Quiet Place. It's a pretty good, not great horror type movie. One you can watch at night with the sound up pretty loud and get a few scares from.

Spoiler

There were a few problems though. The dad is smart enough to build hearing aids for his daughter but not smart enough to know that creatures who use super sensative hearing to hunt would be hurt or stunned by continuos loud noise? He even knows that near the river and water fall they are safer because the sounds are muted or muffled. He could have simply used that equipement and speakers to always broadcast loud sounds outward and it would have disoriented them. It's a small issue, and I don't normally watch horror type movies so if this is my only complaint then it's not bad.

Watched A girl on a train. Yeah it's been out a while but I just got around to it. It's a different take on a who dunnit and a slow pay off that I enjoyed.

Watched Game over man, a Netflix movie. It's kind of Scream for hostage movies? It had some funny parts but don't watch if you have anything else to do.

I started Frontier on Nextflix but only made it through 1.5 episodes so far. Feels like Black Mirror, Spartacus...shows that I should like but don't really catch me.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I watched the first episode of Killing Eve on BBC America. It was initially a bit jarring with the humor because I wasn't expecting it, but it was even better with the humor. Sandra Oh plays an unsatisfied MI5 desky fascinated with female assassins, when what should appear . . . yep a suspected female assassin after a Russian is murdered in Vienna.

Been seeing articles on Killing Eve and I'm highly interested in this. Looks like one of the best things showing right now. I'll have to wait a bit though until I can stream it or something.

Saw RealPlayer One last week. Definitely a good movie, probably around a 7.5. It's basically a spectacle. Not the deepest movie in the world, but some really killer visuals in some of the action scenes. And the plot moves along well as it tends to do when Spielberg is on his game. I'd see this one on the big screen because it will likely be a far worse movie seen on the small screen since it's strengths are so visual. Did not watch it in 3D, I have found that to be a waste with most movies, and even distracting.

Definitely a movie geared toward video game players, but there is plenty of good visuals worth seeing for those who are not. The world presented is a lot like a combination of Diablo and a very realistic first person-shooter, although with customized avatars, at times goofy ones.

Killing Eve is on my radar. We don’t get it over here for a while I don’t think. But I’m looking forward to it.

finally got around to watching Godless. Up to E7 so far, excellent stuff.

iZombie is my current weekly watch. Can’t wait for this week, Rachel Bloom guest starring!

I'm having a second go at Fear the Walking Dead by watching it on my commute to work. I thought I had finished S1 (ages ago) so I have started on S2. I must say that the cinematography seems a class above TWD.

Having been reminded of the film in this thread, I picked up a copy from the library and watched The Vvitch. Good film. Very interesting seeing the mindset of mid-17th colonists in "New England". The special features were excellent for shedding light on the writer/director Robert Eggers thought process concerning the film and the attention to historical detail in the film.

I would have liked to watch the special features. But you can definitely feel the depth of historical research in there.

I've been watching the latest Agatha Christie adaptation on the BBC - Ordeal by Innocence, starring Bill Nighy, Matthew Goode and probably some other famous people whose names I don't know. It's great stuff though, beautifully shot and full of absolutely horrible characters.

I have been watching La Casa de Papel after a friend recommended it to me. I have binged the show in a little more than a day and I have to say that it's brilliant. I was sceptic at first, because a whole season seemed like an awful lot of time to spend on one heist, but my God they pulled it off splendidly. I hope the second season manages to keep the same standard, because this first season has pretty much been the definition of good writing. This show really has everything and I would really recommend it to anyone :D

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

It really is insane how much "content"* is there.  I have so many shows I want to check out while hearing that it's nothing compared to Hulu or Amazon.  My choice fatigue is already totally debilitating just with Netflix.  

*that is the industry buzz word, right?

Lol.

I recently visited one of my step-brothers in L.A. He and his roommates all work in the business, and the content they had was insane. There were six people living in a house and they each paid for a different streaming service so they literally had everything. It was so hard to pick something because 10 seconds later I’d be like “oh wait, you have access to this too?”

I picked Swiss Army Man. It was awesome

Just watched the first two episodes of Netflix's "Lost in Space". It's pretty good though I have some issues with it such as 

Spoiler

Diamonds as hail in ep 2. The family and even the robot should have been killed.

Still it has it's strong points such as the acting (the kid that plays Will can act) and the overall plot seems good. There is a lot mystery to it that they are gradually revealing. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I feel the same, i have Sky, Netflix and Prime and have nowhere near the time or inclination to stay up to date, however each has a couple of 'must watch' programmes.

Same, have DirecTV, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. The last two my daughter gets. Hulu is free with her music streaming app and Amazon well Amazon Prime...

Have to say of the streamers Netflix is the only one i check weekly.

Saw A Quiet Place tonight. I liked it a lot. Every single moment was so tense. Krasinski definitely has some directing chops. Having such a lovely and talented wife to put in your movie certainly helps too. Crazy it only had a 17 million dollar budget.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Saw A Quiet Place tonight. I liked it a lot. Every single moment was so tense. Krasinski definitely has some directing chops. Having such a lovely and talented wife to put in your movie certainly helps too. Crazy it only had a 17 million dollar budget.

I saw this last week and agree with most of what you say. I am surprised it cost 17 million, I guess most of it was CGI scenes? It was nice to see a horror film that wasn't just about people walking creepily backwards downstairs or the now standard ripped backwards real fast from the camera while screaming.

Hou Hsiao-hsien's The Assassin. Beautiful film, but the pace was glacial. I initially thought I was dense and was missing something regarding the plot. Nope. I probably would've enjoyed the film more by turning off the subtitles and thereby avoiding marring the beauty of each shot.

We just binge watched S4 of Chef's Table, which is about pastry chefs. The first one is pretty amazing but then sometimes when you take a very driven, successful character it is almost easy to create a narrative which is pleasant to view. I had problems with the third episode in part because I cannot deal with people whispering - it makes me uncomfortable and itchy. Also wtf - a dude is picked on by his brothers and mother for having a big nose when they clearly ALL have the same big nose, and the three sons clearly inherited it from their mother? The biggest lies are the ones people tell themselves I guess. And the fourth episode was entertaining because it makes such a good illustration of the cult of celebrity. Critics and the media build people up and then take great pleasure in bringing them down. It's nuts. 

Ok, A.P. Bio is fucking hilarious. It's Glenn Howerton's solo effort (Dennis from Always Sunny) and he plays a disgraced asshole Harvard professor who's spending a year in his old hometown at his dead mom's apartment as he takes stock of his life, writes a book, and plots to destroy his nemesis. 

It really is great. Patton Oswalt is the bumbling Principal and the kids take on the role of the writers room from 30 Rock, offering a sounding board that goes directly to a subject's core. So there's a lot of fun subversion of comedy tropes and whatnot.

And you really can see why he hates his rival, the guy is so happy and he pals around with Bill Nye.

Archived