Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

12 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Ok, A.P. Bio is fucking hilarious. It's Glenn Howerton's solo effort (Dennis from Always Sunny) and he plays a disgraced asshole Harvard professor who's spending a year in his old hometown at his dead mom's apartment as he takes stock of his life, writes a book, and plots to destroy his nemesis. 

It really is great. Patton Oswalt is the bumbling Principal and the kids take on the role of the writers room from 30 Rock, offering a sounding board that goes directly to a subject's core. So there's a lot of fun subversion of comedy tropes and whatnot.

And you really can see why he hates his rival, the guy is so happy and he pals around with Bill Nye.

The girl with the Coke bottle glasses is hilarious.

Just finished the first season of AMC's The Terror. Truly a capital decision to watch that series, it's excellent. Great cast, strong wrting and the way it creates a persuasive atmosphere is truly impressive. There were a few minor details that bothered me, but nothing at all major. I hope the next season of this new anthology will be just as great as this one. The ending alone more than makes up for the hours you have to spend watching it :) 

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Ok, A.P. Bio is fucking hilarious. It's Glenn Howerton's solo effort (Dennis from Always Sunny) and he plays a disgraced asshole Harvard professor who's spending a year in his old hometown at his dead mom's apartment as he takes stock of his life, writes a book, and plots to destroy his nemesis. 

It really is great. Patton Oswalt is the bumbling Principal and the kids take on the role of the writers room from 30 Rock, offering a sounding board that goes directly to a subject's core. So there's a lot of fun subversion of comedy tropes and whatnot.

And you really can see why he hates his rival, the guy is so happy and he pals around with Bill Nye.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

The girl with the Coke bottle glasses is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I love that the kids have zero regard for social conventions and just get straight into shit. It's fucking brilliant.

All of this.  The first episode was pretty terrible, but it seems to be getting better every single week.

At one point in VEEP a character says "yo, I'm going to check out this one band. Real fucked up noise. The band doesn't even have a name."

That's how I feel about the band playing SNL tonight, but in a good way.

I watched Lady Bird last night and enjoyed it a lot. I’m a sucker for coming-of-age movies anyways but it was really well done. Saoirse Ronan and her bff were awesome in it.

I think I’m going to start The Terror today.

I wish I could watch The Terror. I've been patiently waiting for it since it was first announced that it was being adapted for TV. It's not bloody fair that we can't see it yet. :(

But I did just binge watch The City & The City - which I thought was really nicely done. I think all of the substantive performances were solidly good but of course David Morrissey was brilliant, the perfect combination of tough, cynical, hopeless, hopeful, tender, earnest... It's just a relief to watch some good acting for a change. I don't have a perfect recollection of the plotline of the book but it certainly looked and 'felt' like it was done right to me. The tone was spot on too, nothing ever quite being in full view or perfect focus, partial angles of faces, shadows, glimmers, shimmers. I thought it was really great TV.

Den of Thieves - It's basically Heat if Heat sucked.

Seriously...just go re-watch Heat and Usual Suspects and you'll have seen the infinitely better movies Den of Thieves fails so hard at copying.

I watched Mute on Netflix. I like the futuristic Berlin setting, although I'm not sure it really contributed much to the plot - the storyline could mostly have been done in the modern day without really changing much and the noir mystery plot didn't feel as interesting as the setting. I thought Alexander Sarsgard and Paul Rudd did put in some good performances.

Since I missed it while it was current, I'm making my way through Justified. Pretty damn good so far. Love the characters, setting, premise and, of course, dialogue. Refreshing watching an episodic series again, which seems to be more and more a thing of the past. Love how the characters are slowly being developed and revealed with tiny bits each episode.

Saw Deadpool and loved it. Such a witty smart-ass. Very enjoyable. 

Watched Dunkirk last week. Maybe I was a little too drunk or had false expectations, but I thought it was going to be more Saving Private Ryan-esque. Wasn't prepared for all the air and sea battle. Still liked it overall.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Since I missed it while it was current, I'm making my way through Justified. Pretty damn good so far. Love the characters, setting, premise and, of course, dialogue. Refreshing watching an episodic series again, which seems to be more and more a thing of the past. Love how the characters are slowly being developed and revealed with tiny bits each episode.

Justified is brilliant. Miss it

Had a wedding in Atlanta so caught 3 movies on the flights to and fro.

Dunkirk. I liked this more than I thought I would. Because I was on a plane, I couldn't hear the music along with some of the dialogue and watched the movie with subtitles. I think that was very detrimental to the experience and I should have watched this movie in theaters if for the music alone. I liked the looming feeling of doom -- especially considering the enemy isn't a focus of the movie and is on screen for very short and anonymous periods of time. I also enjoyed the aerial fight scenes and Farrior's storyline was the best.

Spoiler

Can planes without a working propeller stay aloft that long? The only storyline I didn't care for was the one with the in-fighting soldiers though I don't think I completely understood what was going on there due to my audio issues.  

I'll watch this movie again properly.

The Florida Project. It was good. I don't really think of it as best picture of the year material. It basically follows an impoverished 5 year old through a summer in her life as she lives with her struggling mom in a cheap motel. Imagine following a group of young children around while they play, perform antics and cause mischief. That is exactly what this movie feels like except you're watching it on camera. Beasts of the Southern Wild is sort of a similar but more superior movie -- mainly due to a memorable soundtrack and a better storyline.

Logan Lucky. Definitely enjoyed this movie. A better version of Ocean's 11 with a smaller and more interesting cast.  Again, I had some audio issues and I'm not sure I understood all the details and complexity of the movie so I may re-watch it at some point. I haven't seen Adam Driver in much (only Star Wars I think) but he seems like a solid actor. Channing Tatum is solid as well but I've warmed to him for his roles in Hateful 8 and Hail, Caesar!. 

Spoiler

There's a scene at the end where Adam Driver asks Channing Tatum how he knew the FBI investigation was over. Tatum mentions not paying his cell phone bill but the phone stayed active, so he knew the FBI was listening in. That instantly reminded me of how Frank Sobotka knew his phone was tapped in the Wire.

Can we take a moment and give it up for one of the greatest interrogation scenes of all time?

I'm talking of course about Season 1 of Lost when Sayiid and Jack torture Sawyer looking for the inhaler. They really get into it.

16 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I finished Narcos S3 and thought it was a very good season of TV.  Going to be watching The Expanse and Westworld as those seasons get going while finishing The Americans with many of y'all.  

Not sure what to do next on Netflix.  Might continue with Babylon Berlin or try out this Money Heist or Gomorrah.  

Watch Gomorrah. There’s not a better show on tv. 

17 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I finished Narcos S3 and thought it was a very good season of TV.  Going to be watching The Expanse and Westworld as those seasons get going while finishing The Americans with many of y'all.  

Not sure what to do next on Netflix.  Might continue with Babylon Berlin or try out this Money Heist or Gomorrah.  

Gomorrah would be my pick coming off Narcos though it's heavy. My general rule of thumb is 4 episodes for a show and with Gomorrah you'll know by then if you're interested to commit longer I think.

Another vote for Gomorrah.

Live by Night has been on HBO recently so I gave it a chance, and it’s as bad as advertised. I made it like halfway through before I tapped out. Just boring and very predictable. Affleck’s character is loved and feared by all for some odd reason. Just silly.

I’m 4 episodes into The Terror and liking it. 

I watched Thor Ragnarok yesterday. I don't often praise a Marvel movie, but this does deserve a bit of applause. I was very enjoyable, mainly because it's one of the few Marvel movies that doesn't feel like the same generic 'let's copy the feel of the first Iron Man' kind of deal pretty much all of their other output is blighted by. Taika Waititi deserves a whole lot of love, because the fact that he managed to do this with Thor (the blandest of all Avengers bar none, at least from the ones with their own movies) is doubly impressive. I really liked the goofy 80's sci-fi/arcade game kind of atmosphere it emanated. It sort of reminded me of wreck-it-Ralph and that's a good thing

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Another vote for Gomorrah.

Live by Night has been on HBO recently so I gave it a chance, and it’s as bad as advertised. I made it like halfway through before I tapped out. Just boring and very predictable. Affleck’s character is loved and feared by all for some odd reason. Just silly.

I’m 4 episodes into The Terror and liking it. 

Same for me, turned off Live by Night not even half way, just a bad movie.

Started watching Netflix Lost in Space and really like it so far. I am about 6-7 episodes in and have to say it's really well done, and it's PG! Normally PG means it's so watered down and childish I can't stand it but this is pretty good.

Archived