Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

I watched The Ballad of Left Brown. Classic revenge Western with some twists thrown in, mainly it being the trusted sidekick getting revenge. It throws in all the traditional archetypes of Westerns with Peter Fonda playing the classic, John Wayne white hat cowboy. It's a nice blend of the classic black and white Western and revisionist, gray Western. Bill Pullman's titular role was an endearing, loveable loser character. The scenery alone was beautiful: long-lingering shots of Montana. My criticism was the story being a bit predictable . . .

Spoiler

with Jim Caviezel's Jimmy Bierce being one of the most obvious and boring villains I've seen in a while.

The film Small Town Crime was recommended on IMDB for those who liked The Ballad of Lefty Brown, so I picked that film up as well. I'll watch it tonight probably.

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Another vote for Gomorrah.

Live by Night has been on HBO recently so I gave it a chance, and it’s as bad as advertised. I made it like halfway through before I tapped out. Just boring and very predictable. Affleck’s character is loved and feared by all for some odd reason. Just silly.

I’m 4 episodes into The Terror and liking it. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Same for me, turned off Live by Night not even half way, just a bad movie.

Disappointing it’s really that bad. I was going to get around to it eventually. What happened to Affleck as a director? I loved The Town and Gone Baby Gone. And while Argo was very forgettable, imo, it certainly wasn’t bad by any means. 

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I watched Thor Ragnarok yesterday. I don't often praise a Marvel movie, but this does deserve a bit of applause. I was very enjoyable, mainly because it's one of the few Marvel movies that doesn't feel like the same generic 'let's copy the feel of the first Iron Man' kind of deal pretty much all of their other output is blighted by. Taika Waititi deserves a whole lot of love, because the fact that he managed to do this with Thor (the blandest of all Avengers bar none, at least from the ones with their own movies) is doubly impressive. I really liked the goofy 80's sci-fi/arcade game kind of atmosphere it emanated. It sort of reminded me of wreck-it-Ralph and that's a good thing

Yeah, instead of copying Iron Man, they copied Guardians of the Galaxy instead.  :lol:

In all seriousness, though, Ragnarok was awesome and is one of my favorite Marvel films.   

Damn, I came home sick -- and I have to fly overseas again at the start of next week.  Utterly miserable, physically.  It was warm where I had been, and it's still winter (again) here.

Thank goodness, the dvds of season 5, the final season of Orphan Black, had arrived while I was gone.  Also the first dvd of Outlander's season 3.

And I still have the final episode of Troy: Fall of a City to go, and still haven't finished watching Resurrection: Ertugruel, season 2.  There's been no time to watch or read -- just pack, travel, work, pack, travel, and now cough, cough, cough, ah-choooooo! 

On 4/18/2018 at 9:23 AM, Nictarion said:

Disappointing it’s really that bad. I was going to get around to it eventually. What happened to Affleck as a director? I loved The Town and Gone Baby Gone. And while Argo was very forgettable, imo, it certainly wasn’t bad by any means. 

I was thinking basically the same thing during it. Like how does Affleck watch this movie after and feel that it’s good? 

On 4/18/2018 at 9:13 AM, Astromech said:

I watched The Ballad of Left Brown. Classic revenge Western with some twists thrown in, mainly it being the trusted sidekick getting revenge. 

I gotta watch this soon. It’s been on my radar.

9 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I was thinking basically the same thing during it. Like how does Affleck watch this movie after and feel that it’s good? 

I gotta watch this soon. It’s been on my radar.

I'm anxious for Hostiles to be released on DVD April 24. I never saw it in theatres.

53 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I'm anxious for Hostiles to be released on DVD April 24. I never saw it in theatres.

Don't get your hopes too high. Set your sights low and you will enjoy it more.

I started watching Counterpart last night because Comcast has free Starz, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime this week.  It's very well acted, but so far the story feels way to small.

22 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Just started S3 of Mr. Robot. Awesome fucking show. 

That's good to hear.  I've had season 3 gathering metaphorical dust on my dvr.  I haven't been able to muster up the strength to watch it after the disappointing season 2.

3 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I started watching Counterpart last night because Comcast has free Starz, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime this week.  It's very well acted, but so far the story feels way to small.

That's good to hear.  I've had season 3 gathering metaphorical dust on my dvr.  I haven't been able to muster up the strength to watch it after the disappointing season 2.

Same here, I actually stopped recording S3 and deleted the couple I had on there. S2 was just too much. Felt too much like Hannibal when it started going off the rails. Just my opinion.

54 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Think the smallness of the story is why I think it works, especially early in the season. You get a strong feel for the characters, how they're different and how they start to develop each other's traits. The story has loads of room to expand.

On 4/18/2018 at 6:13 AM, Astromech said:

I watched The Ballad of Left Brown. Classic revenge Western with some twists thrown in, mainly it being the trusted sidekick getting revenge. It throws in all the traditional archetypes of Westerns with Peter Fonda playing the classic, John Wayne white hat cowboy. It's a nice blend of the classic black and white Western and revisionist, gray Western. Bill Pullman's titular role was an endearing, loveable loser character. The scenery alone was beautiful: long-lingering shots of Montana. My criticism was the story being a bit predictable . 

Hmmm.. never heard of this but it looks like something right up my alley.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Yeah I was waiting to watch this in theaters but then it never seemed to come out or be advertised and I just sort of forgot about it. 

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Think the smallness of the story is why I think it works, especially early in the season. You get a strong feel for the characters, how they're different and how they start to develop each other's traits. The story has loads of room to expand.

That's been my favorite part of it so far (just finished episode 4), although, it does seem that the one is doing that much more than the other.  It is certainly good though.  I was just expecting something more grand, with it's premise being what it is - I blame my expectations on Fringe.

4 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That's been my favorite part of it so far (just finished episode 4), although, it does seem that the one is doing that much more than the other.  It is certainly good though.  I was just expecting something more grand, with it's premise being what it is - I blame my expectations on Fringe.

Remember though, Fringe didn't really expand until end of season 2 if I remember correctly. And those were 22 episode seasons. This builds.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Don't get your hopes too high. Set your sights low and you will enjoy it more.

They've been tempered slightly by a few reviews, but I'm still anxious for it.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Counterpart is my favorite new show.

Season 3 of Mr. Robot was a return to form after a disappointing season 2. I was one that was up in the air about continuing with the series but am glad I gave s3 a chance. Sure Esmail still throws in film school wank material, but much less than in season 2. The plot also progresses in s3 as opposed to the tire spinning in s2.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I am listening to the funniest debate about Titanic ever. Basically they are arguing that Jack and Rose are really the villains of the film and at the end, Billy Zane redeems himself and becomes the hero. Furthermore, they are arguing that Jack was sent back in time by John Conner to save Rose because she’s Sarah Conner’s grandmother, and that because he’s trapped in the past he assumes a new identity and becomes the Great Gatsby.

It’s amazing! I’ll link it when the podcast is available.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I am listening to the funniest debate about Titanic ever. Basically they are arguing that Jack and Rose are really the villains of the film and at the end, Billy Zane redeems himself and becomes the hero. Furthermore, they are arguing that Jack was sent back in time by John Conner to save Rose because she’s Sarah Conner’s grandmother, and that because he’s trapped in the past he assumes a new identity and becomes the Great Gatsby.

It’s amazing! I’ll link it when the podcast is available.

That makes complete sense because Jack said he fished on Lake Wissota's frozen waters when he was a boy. However, that is only possible if Jack is a time traveler since Lake Wissota is a reservoir formed by a dam built on the Chippewa River . . . in 1917, 5 years after the sinking of the Titanic!!

10 minutes ago, Astromech said:

That makes complete sense because Jack said he fished on Lake Wissota's frozen waters when he was a boy. However, that is only possible if Jack is a time traveler since Lake Wissota is a reservoir formed by a dam built on the Chippewa River . . . in 1917, 5 years after the sinking of the Titanic!!

But it doesn’t end there. The roller coaster he talks about wasn’t built until 1916, and his backpack is from the 1930’s. The truth is out there!:

http://twentytwowords.com/6-facts-that-prove-jack-from-titanic-is-actually-a-time-traveler/

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But it doesn’t end there. The roller coaster he talks about wasn’t built until 1916, and his backpack is from the 1930’s. The truth is out there!:

http://twentytwowords.com/6-facts-that-prove-jack-from-titanic-is-actually-a-time-traveler/

That's why tougher stowaway laws are necessary! We can't have this scum on our luxury liners!

Archived