Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

Zorral

14 hours ago, Mexal said:

Remember though, Fringe didn't really expand until end of season 2 if I remember correctly. And those were 22 episode seasons. This builds.

It really did end well.  Should have went to bed after finishing episode 9, but I ended up finishing it.  The reveal at the end of episode 6 was fantastic.

9 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

It really did end well.  Should have went to bed after finishing episode 9, but I ended up finishing it.  The reveal at the end of episode 6 was fantastic.

Yea it was. I thought they played that incredibly well and then gave a lot of depth to that character in episode 7. Really changed the game.

I managed to see The Death of Stalin today. It was different than I was expecting. Not bad per se, but I was expecting more of a raunchy comedy I guess? The film itself was very entertaining and it did contain more than it's fair share of laughs, but it definitely was more serious than I had initially expected. They did an amazing job at showing just how scary Stalin was though. Even after he had died, he warped everyone around him. 

I haven't seen the film Tank since the 80s and forgot how kick ass it was. The acting and dialogue are extremely cheesy, but it is such an 80s film. James Garner racing his wrongfully accused teenage son to the Georgia-Tennessee line in his authentic Sherman tank to escape the corrupt local sheriff.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I haven't seen the film Tank since the 80s and forgot how kick ass it was. The acting and dialogue are extremely cheesy, but it is such an 80s film. James Garner racing his wrongfully accused teenage son to the Georgia-Tennessee line in his authentic Sherman tank to escape the corrupt local sheriff.

I caught that on Starz a few weeks ago.  As you said, cheesy as hell, but perfectly 80's.  I watched that, Iron Eagle and The Wraith all in the same night.  It was like an 80's explosion, lol.

2 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I caught that on Starz a few weeks ago.  As you said, cheesy as hell, but perfectly 80's.  I watched that, Iron Eagle and The Wraith all in the same night.  It was like an 80's explosion, lol.

Wow, two 80’s classics! I remember thinking Iron Eagle was kind of cheesy back in a time when I thought nothing was. I don’t remember Tank though.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

I actually finished HBO's Here and Now.  I saw a stat that it got half the live viewership of Vinyl which is quite a terrible sign.  It seems like HBO followed up one of their biggest hour-long drama flops with another one.  Hard to see it getting renewed but who knows with HBO.  It definitely had something of a mysterious, supernatural-ish subplot where you wondered where Ball was going with it kind of like with John from Cincinnati where you wondered where Milch was going with it.

I am impressed you finished it. So did you like it? I only saw a few full episodes but the supernatural subplot was definitely the most intriguing part. I felt like it had some potential if it wasn’t so heavy-handed and just obnoxious about everything. 

2 hours ago, Fiddler said:

It was Starz. I noticed they had a new retro channel and have been looking at the older films that show. Hopefully Commando will be on soon.

Went through a list of upcoming summer films, that didn't have plot descriptions, just cast, director, and stuff, and I picked these 2 out. Look like they may be great films. I added the plot descriptions from Wikapedia.

Shock and Awe
STARRING: Jessica Biel, James Marsden, Woody Harrelson

DIRECTED BY: Rob Reiner

RELEASE DATE: July 13

The film is about journalists investigating the assertions by the Bush Administration concerning Saddam Hussein’s alleged possession of weapons of mass destruction as an excuse for the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[2]

Papillon
STARRING: Charlie Hunnam, Tommy Flanagan, Rami Malek

DIRECTED BY: Michael Noer

RELEASE DATE: Aug. 24

Papillon
Directed by    Michael Noer
Produced by    Joey McFarland
David Koplan
Ram Bergman
Roger Corbi
Screenplay by    Aaron Guzikowski
Based on    Papillon and Banco
by Henri Charrière
Starring    Charlie Hunnam
Rami Malek
Cinematography    Hagen Bogdanski
Edited by    John Axelrad
Lee Haugen
Distributed by    Bleecker Street
Release date
September 9, 2017 (TIFF)
August 24, 2018 (United States)
Country    United States
Language    English
Papillon is a biographical film directed by Michael Noer. It tells the story of French convict Henri Charrière (Charlie Hunnam), nicknamed "Papillon", who was imprisoned in 1933 and escaped in 1941 with the help of another convict, counterfeiter Louis Dega (Rami Malek). The film's screenplay is based on Charrière's autobiographies Papillon and Banco, as well as the former's 1973 film adaptation, which was written by Dalton Trumbo and Lorenzo Semple Jr. and starred Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.[1]

Papillon premiered on September 9, 2017 in the Special Presentations section at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival.[2][1] Bleecker Street will distribute the film in the United States on August 24, 2018.[3]

Contents 
1    Plot
2    Cast
3    Production
4    References
5    External links
Plot
Papillon follows the epic story of Henri “Papillon” Charrière (Charlie Hunnam), a safecracker from the Parisian underworld who was unjustly convicted of murder and condemned to life in a notorious penal colony on Devil’s Island in French Guiana, South America. Determined to regain his freedom, Papillon forms an unlikely alliance with quirky convicted counterfeiter Louis Dega (Rami Malek), who in exchange for his protection, agrees to finance Papillon’s escape, ultimately resulting in a bond of lasting friendship

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Killing Eve is wonderful...

... psyched for Westworld tonight

... The Looming Tower was really good, in not infuriating

It's a lot of fun. I lost it last week when Frank said he had to pick up the kids. I love every scene with him in it.

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched War for the Planet of the Apes. Really liked it. Definitely my favorite of these newer Apes movies. Loved the little nods to the original like naming the young mute girl Nova. 

Just hit play on this.  Hopefully I enjoy it as much as you did.

Zipped through Ugly Delicious on a much needed sofa day. Not sure why people warned that I might not enjoy it? I thought it was great and the emotional (historic) elements seemed genuine to me. I still have a huge craving for dumplings. Luckily I have some in the fridge at work for lunch but I really need to do a tour of London's best dumpling places (I already have a list).

Then we started watching The Civil War (1990 Ken Burns documentary series) because we wanted to feel as depressed as possible before the week begins.

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Papillon is a biographical film directed by Michael Noer. It tells the story of French convict Henri Charrière (Charlie Hunnam), nicknamed "Papillon", who was imprisoned in 1933 and escaped in 1941 with the help of another convict, counterfeiter Louis Dega (Rami Malek). The film's screenplay is based on Charrière's autobiographies Papillon and Banco, as well as the former's 1973 film adaptation, which was written by Dalton Trumbo and Lorenzo Semple Jr. and starred Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.[1]

Definitely check out the original, that's a brilliant film imo :) 

What's the verdict on The Alienist? Is it any good? :) 

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

It's been brought up frequently here on the Entertainment forum that viewers find both shows themselves and specific episodes often feel too long for what really was necessary.  Not the only ones, evidently!

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/long-episodes-are-the-manspreading-of-tv.html

They should stuff this article in Michael Hirst's mouth :P 

We watched Thor: Ragnorak last night, purely on the strength of positive reviews because the prior Thor movies were really dull, with Loki the only redeeming feature.  The winking humor was a big improvement -- it's more Guardians Of The Galaxy than Iron Man -- even if it meant that Loki lost all the best lines to Thor this time.  Is that the most Aussies/Kiwis in a major Hollywood film?  I counted both Hemsworth brothers, Cate Blanchett, Karl Urban, the rocky gladiator revolutionary, plus a handful of the minor roles seemed to have the accent too.  I think Brits (Hiddlestone, Cumberbatch, Hopkins) outnumbered Yanks too in the major roles.  

GotG, Deadpool and now T:R have really injected some fun back into Marvel.

Archived