Zorral

Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

185 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I started watching Counterpart last night because Comcast has free Starz, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime this week.  It's very well acted, but so far the story feels way to small.

Think the smallness of the story is why I think it works, especially early in the season. You get a strong feel for the characters, how they're different and how they start to develop each other's traits. The story has loads of room to expand.

On 4/18/2018 at 6:13 AM, Astromech said:

I watched The Ballad of Left Brown. Classic revenge Western with some twists thrown in, mainly it being the trusted sidekick getting revenge. It throws in all the traditional archetypes of Westerns with Peter Fonda playing the classic, John Wayne white hat cowboy. It's a nice blend of the classic black and white Western and revisionist, gray Western. Bill Pullman's titular role was an endearing, loveable loser character. The scenery alone was beautiful: long-lingering shots of Montana. My criticism was the story being a bit predictable . 

Hmmm.. never heard of this but it looks like something right up my alley.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'm anxious for Hostiles to be released on DVD April 24. I never saw it in theatres.

Yeah I was waiting to watch this in theaters but then it never seemed to come out or be advertised and I just sort of forgot about it. 

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Think the smallness of the story is why I think it works, especially early in the season. You get a strong feel for the characters, how they're different and how they start to develop each other's traits. The story has loads of room to expand.

That's been my favorite part of it so far (just finished episode 4), although, it does seem that the one is doing that much more than the other.  It is certainly good though.  I was just expecting something more grand, with it's premise being what it is - I blame my expectations on Fringe.

4 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That's been my favorite part of it so far (just finished episode 4), although, it does seem that the one is doing that much more than the other.  It is certainly good though.  I was just expecting something more grand, with it's premise being what it is - I blame my expectations on Fringe.

Remember though, Fringe didn't really expand until end of season 2 if I remember correctly. And those were 22 episode seasons. This builds.

Edited by Mexal

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Don't get your hopes too high. Set your sights low and you will enjoy it more.

They've been tempered slightly by a few reviews, but I'm still anxious for it.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I started watching Counterpart last night because Comcast has free Starz, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime this week.  It's very well acted, but so far the story feels way to small.

That's good to hear.  I've had season 3 gathering metaphorical dust on my dvr.  I haven't been able to muster up the strength to watch it after the disappointing season 2.

Counterpart is my favorite new show.

Season 3 of Mr. Robot was a return to form after a disappointing season 2. I was one that was up in the air about continuing with the series but am glad I gave s3 a chance. Sure Esmail still throws in film school wank material, but much less than in season 2. The plot also progresses in s3 as opposed to the tire spinning in s2.

Edited by Astromech