Zorral

Watch, Watched, Watching: The Good, Bad and Ugly

182 posts in this topic

Had a wedding in Atlanta so caught 3 movies on the flights to and fro.

Dunkirk. I liked this more than I thought I would. Because I was on a plane, I couldn't hear the music along with some of the dialogue and watched the movie with subtitles. I think that was very detrimental to the experience and I should have watched this movie in theaters if for the music alone. I liked the looming feeling of doom -- especially considering the enemy isn't a focus of the movie and is on screen for very short and anonymous periods of time. I also enjoyed the aerial fight scenes and Farrior's storyline was the best.

Spoiler

Can planes without a working propeller stay aloft that long? The only storyline I didn't care for was the one with the in-fighting soldiers though I don't think I completely understood what was going on there due to my audio issues.  

I'll watch this movie again properly.

The Florida Project. It was good. I don't really think of it as best picture of the year material. It basically follows an impoverished 5 year old through a summer in her life as she lives with her struggling mom in a cheap motel. Imagine following a group of young children around while they play, perform antics and cause mischief. That is exactly what this movie feels like except you're watching it on camera. Beasts of the Southern Wild is sort of a similar but more superior movie -- mainly due to a memorable soundtrack and a better storyline.

Logan Lucky. Definitely enjoyed this movie. A better version of Ocean's 11 with a smaller and more interesting cast.  Again, I had some audio issues and I'm not sure I understood all the details and complexity of the movie so I may re-watch it at some point. I haven't seen Adam Driver in much (only Star Wars I think) but he seems like a solid actor. Channing Tatum is solid as well but I've warmed to him for his roles in Hateful 8 and Hail, Caesar!. 

Spoiler

There's a scene at the end where Adam Driver asks Channing Tatum how he knew the FBI investigation was over. Tatum mentions not paying his cell phone bill but the phone stayed active, so he knew the FBI was listening in. That instantly reminded me of how Frank Sobotka knew his phone was tapped in the Wire.

 

Edited by WarGalley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we take a moment and give it up for one of the greatest interrogation scenes of all time?

I'm talking of course about Season 1 of Lost when Sayiid and Jack torture Sawyer looking for the inhaler. They really get into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished Narcos S3 and thought it was a very good season of TV.  Going to be watching The Expanse and Westworld as those seasons get going while finishing The Americans with many of y'all.  

Not sure what to do next on Netflix.  Might continue with Babylon Berlin or try out this Money Heist or Gomorrah.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I finished Narcos S3 and thought it was a very good season of TV.  Going to be watching The Expanse and Westworld as those seasons get going while finishing The Americans with many of y'all.  

Not sure what to do next on Netflix.  Might continue with Babylon Berlin or try out this Money Heist or Gomorrah.  

Watch Gomorrah. There’s not a better show on tv. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I finished Narcos S3 and thought it was a very good season of TV.  Going to be watching The Expanse and Westworld as those seasons get going while finishing The Americans with many of y'all.  

Not sure what to do next on Netflix.  Might continue with Babylon Berlin or try out this Money Heist or Gomorrah.  

Gomorrah would be my pick coming off Narcos though it's heavy. My general rule of thumb is 4 episodes for a show and with Gomorrah you'll know by then if you're interested to commit longer I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for Gomorrah.

Live by Night has been on HBO recently so I gave it a chance, and it’s as bad as advertised. I made it like halfway through before I tapped out. Just boring and very predictable. Affleck’s character is loved and feared by all for some odd reason. Just silly.

I’m 4 episodes into The Terror and liking it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Thor Ragnarok yesterday. I don't often praise a Marvel movie, but this does deserve a bit of applause. I was very enjoyable, mainly because it's one of the few Marvel movies that doesn't feel like the same generic 'let's copy the feel of the first Iron Man' kind of deal pretty much all of their other output is blighted by. Taika Waititi deserves a whole lot of love, because the fact that he managed to do this with Thor (the blandest of all Avengers bar none, at least from the ones with their own movies) is doubly impressive. I really liked the goofy 80's sci-fi/arcade game kind of atmosphere it emanated. It sort of reminded me of wreck-it-Ralph and that's a good thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Another vote for Gomorrah.

Live by Night has been on HBO recently so I gave it a chance, and it’s as bad as advertised. I made it like halfway through before I tapped out. Just boring and very predictable. Affleck’s character is loved and feared by all for some odd reason. Just silly.

I’m 4 episodes into The Terror and liking it. 

 

Same for me, turned off Live by Night not even half way, just a bad movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started watching Netflix Lost in Space and really like it so far. I am about 6-7 episodes in and have to say it's really well done, and it's PG! Normally PG means it's so watered down and childish I can't stand it but this is pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched The Ballad of Left Brown. Classic revenge Western with some twists thrown in, mainly it being the trusted sidekick getting revenge. It throws in all the traditional archetypes of Westerns with Peter Fonda playing the classic, John Wayne white hat cowboy. It's a nice blend of the classic black and white Western and revisionist, gray Western. Bill Pullman's titular role was an endearing, loveable loser character. The scenery alone was beautiful: long-lingering shots of Montana. My criticism was the story being a bit predictable . . .

Spoiler

with Jim Caviezel's Jimmy Bierce being one of the most obvious and boring villains I've seen in a while.

The film Small Town Crime was recommended on IMDB for those who liked The Ballad of Lefty Brown, so I picked that film up as well. I'll watch it tonight probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Another vote for Gomorrah.

Live by Night has been on HBO recently so I gave it a chance, and it’s as bad as advertised. I made it like halfway through before I tapped out. Just boring and very predictable. Affleck’s character is loved and feared by all for some odd reason. Just silly.

I’m 4 episodes into The Terror and liking it. 

 

 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Same for me, turned off Live by Night not even half way, just a bad movie.

Disappointing it’s really that bad. I was going to get around to it eventually. What happened to Affleck as a director? I loved The Town and Gone Baby Gone. And while Argo was very forgettable, imo, it certainly wasn’t bad by any means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I watched Thor Ragnarok yesterday. I don't often praise a Marvel movie, but this does deserve a bit of applause. I was very enjoyable, mainly because it's one of the few Marvel movies that doesn't feel like the same generic 'let's copy the feel of the first Iron Man' kind of deal pretty much all of their other output is blighted by. Taika Waititi deserves a whole lot of love, because the fact that he managed to do this with Thor (the blandest of all Avengers bar none, at least from the ones with their own movies) is doubly impressive. I really liked the goofy 80's sci-fi/arcade game kind of atmosphere it emanated. It sort of reminded me of wreck-it-Ralph and that's a good thing

Yeah, instead of copying Iron Man, they copied Guardians of the Galaxy instead.  :lol:

In all seriousness, though, Ragnarok was awesome and is one of my favorite Marvel films.   

Edited by briantw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, I came home sick -- and I have to fly overseas again at the start of next week.  Utterly miserable, physically.  It was warm where I had been, and it's still winter (again) here.

Thank goodness, the dvds of season 5, the final season of Orphan Black, had arrived while I was gone.  Also the first dvd of Outlander's season 3.

And I still have the final episode of Troy: Fall of a City to go, and still haven't finished watching Resurrection: Ertugruel, season 2.  There's been no time to watch or read -- just pack, travel, work, pack, travel, and now cough, cough, cough, ah-choooooo! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small Town Crime was ok. A bit too straightforward of a plot. No mystery involved. The Chevy Nova was the best part of the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 9:23 AM, Nictarion said:

Disappointing it’s really that bad. I was going to get around to it eventually. What happened to Affleck as a director? I loved The Town and Gone Baby Gone. And while Argo was very forgettable, imo, it certainly wasn’t bad by any means. 

I was thinking basically the same thing during it. Like how does Affleck watch this movie after and feel that it’s good? 

On 4/18/2018 at 9:13 AM, Astromech said:

I watched The Ballad of Left Brown. Classic revenge Western with some twists thrown in, mainly it being the trusted sidekick getting revenge. 

I gotta watch this soon. It’s been on my radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I was thinking basically the same thing during it. Like how does Affleck watch this movie after and feel that it’s good? 

I gotta watch this soon. It’s been on my radar.

I'm anxious for Hostiles to be released on DVD April 24. I never saw it in theatres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I'm anxious for Hostiles to be released on DVD April 24. I never saw it in theatres.

Don't get your hopes too high. Set your sights low and you will enjoy it more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started watching Counterpart last night because Comcast has free Starz, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime this week.  It's very well acted, but so far the story feels way to small.

 

22 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Just started S3 of Mr. Robot. Awesome fucking show. 

That's good to hear.  I've had season 3 gathering metaphorical dust on my dvr.  I haven't been able to muster up the strength to watch it after the disappointing season 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I started watching Counterpart last night because Comcast has free Starz, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime this week.  It's very well acted, but so far the story feels way to small.

 

That's good to hear.  I've had season 3 gathering metaphorical dust on my dvr.  I haven't been able to muster up the strength to watch it after the disappointing season 2.

Same here, I actually stopped recording S3 and deleted the couple I had on there. S2 was just too much. Felt too much like Hannibal when it started going off the rails. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now