The Game

a free shadow

I wouldn't describe the Robb/Frey betrothal as sadly founded. I also wouldn't describe Euron's ocular deficiency as served by his healthy ambition, which is how that one is read by me... and why I thought BloodRaven or Aemon were better answers.

Clearly it is the failure of clue writers that caused me to miss those...

11 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I wouldn't describe the Robb/Frey betrothal as sadly founded. I also wouldn't describe Euron's ocular deficiency as served by his healthy ambition, which is how that one is read by me... and why I thought BloodRaven or Aemon were better answers.

We are of course limited by the letters, but the aim of everyone has been to write such obscure clues that other people can't solve them.

We guessed Arya instead of Val. Hell, if anyone hated King's Landing security it was Arya, and she stabbed a couple of people along the way. Arya was from the North, King's Landing people were certainly southerners.

I wrote a clue for someone in one of DG's rounds that he thought was a lovely clue, but I rejected it and wrote another simply because it was fairly easy. It's impossible to offer a straightforward clue if everyone else offers brutal clues.

It might be useful to have two hosts as well :ninja: if one host is not really all there, not really...

New acronyms:

BBIADF

GHOWRU

The first versions of the clues can be sent in with favorite votes, by Sunnight. To leave time to re-consider and avoid vague clues! But the real deadline will likely be on Tuesday :ninja: 

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

In fairness, Robb wasn't exactly happy about it even though it got them passage through the Twins.

I liked Aemon for #1 too though (was my prelim guess even though my excellent partner disagreed) and agree that the words don't quite work properly for Euron, however he was my first thought I think because it highlights facets you associate with him, even if the adjectives give the wrong impression.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

We guessed Arya instead of Val. Hell, if anyone hated King's Landing security it was Arya, and she stabbed a couple of people along the way. Arya was from the North, King's Landing people were certainly southerners.

We went for Arya too but i must admit it never quite sat right with me. I preferred our prelim answer which was Catelyn.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I wrote a clue for someone in one of DG's rounds that he thought was a lovely clue, but I rejected it and wrote another simply because it was fairly easy. It's impossible to offer a straightforward clue if everyone else offers brutal clues.

I remember that. It was a lovely clue. Sometimes even if everybody is going to get it you can play for votes.

For the record I only strive to achieve great clues, with a good balance of difficulty. Tricky but comfortably fitting the subject best. I thought a decent number of these clues achieved that. A couple arguably didn't but I think the standard overall was excellent.

...i am standing by our choice of arya vs val...however we also considered osha who definately hated her southern security and used a ...knife...to cut the throat on one to escape with the stark boys...

i supported robb but also thought this clue was slightly too vague to nail down a for sure answer...

as to the theme...sorry my dear host...i did not see it for love or money...animals ruled these clues...

:smoking:

18 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

There are only so many true babes in the books. Arya and Osha, as the host noted, don't truly qualify.

I expected ample complaints about that clue. Babe was the key to getting it.

Arya is a young child, babe could easily be read as a play on words! :)

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wow. That theme was certainly gettable.

We talked about Robb as the answer to 5, saw it was hasty, but can someone tell me why it was sadly founded? They fell in love, it wasn't sad. 

There were so many answers possible other than Val, IMO.

Holy moly you sound like a romantic. In my view he is a man who got trapped into marriage by deflowering a high born virgin after Sybil Spicer flung her daughter at him with just that in mind.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

There were so many answers possible other than Val, IMO.

I found a lot of possibles through following women with daggers and knives but the 'austral security' idea didn't fit them. Also, Val fits 'babe' better than anyone else, she is little more than a sketch of a 'babe', Arya would only fit if it was a strange use of babe to mean a young girl.

I weirdly managed to miss the obvious though, I thought it referred to the scene where Toregg jokingly tells Jon he can have her, Jon says his vows prevent him, and Val says he is welcome to come to be her bedchamber where her trusty knife will ensure he keeps his vows forever. So 'vows' was a security, like a promise or bond but Val would rely on her knife. That's even knowing she stabbed a man at arms. I think I didn't realise he was a guard.

5 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I also wouldn't describe Euron's ocular deficiency as served by his healthy ambition, which is how that one is read by me..

I read is as his having one eye served his ambition and didn't see how it does, that's why Jez and I initially thought Victarion but changed back after shadow's clarification.  

Eventually I thought ocular deficiency plus ambition suited him more than anyone else.

Jez had an interesting answer to the Chett clue - Renly gathering 'flowers' i.e. roses which gave a different meaning to 'horny' (antlers)/ She also had thought of Baelor and Rhaegar. Luckily none of these crossed my mind before I thought of Chett. Flowers only brought Daario to mind, and then Chett.

5 hours ago, a free shadow said:

It might be useful to have two hosts as well :ninja: if one host is not really all there, not really...

If I followed this principle I'd have to pay someone to follow me everywhere....

The theme is actually good and interesting in that it focuses on first person interactions that are certainly notable.

But I'm going to be like myself and note that it amounts to "people alive at a time of the partial renewal of powers and forces lost to time ... and how they respond to it."

That'snot just the general synopsis of this series but of the broader genre as a whole.

22 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

The theme is actually good and interesting in that it focuses on first person interactions that are certainly notable.

But I'm going to be like myself and note that it amounts to "people alive at a time of the partial renewal of powers and forces lost to time ... and how they respond to it."

That'snot just the general synopsis of this series but of the broader genre as a whole.

well yes I think it was an OK theme but I wouldn't say highly gettable

there were distractions like becoming obsessed with animals because one bunch had seen direwolves just born south of the wall, another had seen dragons,

also the fact that in several cases it was the same thing they had seen. if it was a shorter list of people with a singular instance in each case it would be easier, this many characters and some of them major characters means they had all done and seen lots of things 

well at least I know all about Jason Mallister and Irri now. I liked the description of his face which is exactly like a sea eagle and the description of Seagard and the romantic bell. Irri did a whole lot of drawing baths for Dany, Dany must be the cleanest character in the book. It's explained she got a brass or copper bath as a wedding present, which is carried strapped to a horse, this made me wonder how many rivers and creeks there are in the Dothraki sea, I suppose they have to stop at water every night to water the horses, if there is so much water how come only grass grows???.... she also lays out a lot of fancy clothes, must be a few trunks strapped to the horse too. 

20 minutes ago, Castellan said:

well yes I think it was an OK theme but I wouldn't say highly gettable

there were distractions like becoming obsessed with animals because one bunch had seen direwolves just born south of the wall, another had seen dragons,

also the fact that in several cases it was the same thing they had seen. if it was a shorter list of people with a singular instance in each case it would be easier, this many characters and some of them major characters means they had all done and seen lots of things 

well at least I know all about Jason Mallister and Irri now. I liked the description of his face which is exactly like a sea eagle and the description of Seagard and the romantic bell. Irri did a whole lot of drawing baths for Dany, Dany must be the cleanest character in the book. It's explained she got a brass or copper bath as a wedding present, which is carried strapped to a horse, this made me wonder how many rivers and creeks there are in the Dothraki sea, I suppose they have to stop at water every night to water the horses, if there is so much water how come only grass grows???.... she also lays out a lot of fancy clothes, must be a few trunks strapped to the horse too. 

This sort of research is why I mostly bat as a designated hitter.

Ain't nobody got time fo that.

that wasn't research as such that was incidental thoughts while skimming down a search of Irri in a search of ice and fire and seeing 'Irri poured a bath with sweet smelling...' about 50 times or 'Irri aid out a silk gown with matching blah blah blah'

Rereading is a double edged sword. Its a way to track down an answer but it is also what drives me completely insane leaves me tired and unable to think and writing the jumbled PMs you would be familiar with.

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

There are only so many true babes in the books. Arya and Osha, as the host noted, don't truly qualify.

I was really convinced it was Arya.  "austral security" seemed like the Tickler, because he's a southern guard, she hated him, plus he, like, burned people.  She killed him with a dagger, and I thought this just amplified "babe" as it was one of her first kills and she was so young.  

Anyhoo, luckily Castellan was there to show me the way.

For the last clue, it really fit Chett perfectly.  Yet, I still kept thinking Renly.  Loras=knight of flowers and he kinda chose the Tyrells over his brother, leading to his untimely death.  Also, I thought "Outcome" kinda referred to the shadow baby, which I realize now is a bit graphic... whatever.  It was a good clue.

The theme was a great idea, but we were in no way going to get that!  We did think it had something to do with old stories, but that's as close as we got.

3 hours ago, Castellan said:

there were distractions like becoming obsessed with animals

I was fully down the Easter rabbit hole... birth, death, resurrection, eggs.

:)

The theme was good and original but difficult - which is exactly what I had expected. 

Regarding the Val clue, I thought Asha would be a fitting answer, too. I don't think the Ironborn consider themselves southerners because they stand apart from the rest of the realm. She is held captive by a southerner (Stannis), albeit in the North. She hates being chained and she offers to fight for Stannis in exchange for being freed. While no daggers are mentioned in that exchange, we know Asha uses a dagger (among other weapons), and I thought "offered dagger" could be something like a man offering his sword to a lord - offering to be his soldier. Unlike Val, Asha makes a real offer. 

I had no problem with "sadly founded". I immediately thought it referred to Robb's grief over the supposed death of his brothers, which meant he was in need of comfort, and Jeyne provided it. 

6 hours ago, Julia H. said:

I had no problem with "sadly founded". I immediately thought it referred to Robb's grief over the supposed death of his brothers, which meant he was in need of comfort, and Jeyne provided it. 

ooh yes found in grief. i was a bit puzzled because i saw it more as wickedly founded by sybil

8 hours ago, Castellan said:

ooh yes found in grief. i was a bit puzzled because i saw it more as wickedly founded by sybil

Yes, it was probably wickedly founded by Sybill and founded in grief for Robb. He even tells his mother that. 

Archived