A Growing indifference To Cinema Going

GAROVORKIN

On 3/26/2018 at 6:09 AM, Spaßvogel said:

For me, lately at least, most of my movie-going involves revival houses.  Here in Portland, for example, we have a theater that shows 70mm prints with the original six-channel magnetic soundtracks.  In recent years I have seen 2001, Tron, The Thing, Streets of Fire, Spartacus, Wild Bunch... all in 70mm.  The 70mm presentation of Tron with the six-channel version of that magnificent Wendy Carlos score was mesmerizing.  Ditto for The Thing, and even a somewhat cheesy movie like Streets of Fire looked great in the format.

Toronto had a string of revival houses in the 70s and 80s. I have watched some great movies in them. If..., A Clockwork Orange, Casablanca, and lots more. I even watched the big screen version of Gone With The Wind at a revival house. Sadly most are now gone. The experience is something  I still miss. 

Then there are commercials and advertisements that they show prior to the films. I can recall a time when you didn't have any of that at the  movies.  One the main attraction of the movies t was no commercials except, maybe a blurb or two about the goodies at the concession stands. 

Archived