How are executions conducted by the Night's Watch?

Angel Eyes

There's also locking them up forever in the ice cells as an option, like the seventy-odd who were stuck in the Wall at the Nightfort...

The only other exceution that springs to mind was Janos Slynt - Jon originally ordered him to be hanged, then did the deed himself with Longclaw, so I guess hanging might have been traditional for the Watch, but Jon was raised by the Ned, of course....

Desertion = Decapitation

(AGOT, Jon IX)
Jon: "I know the penalty for desertion, my lord. I'm not afraid to die."
Mormont: "If we beheaded every boy who rode to Mole's Town in the night, only ghosts would guard the Wall."

Didn't Davos serve under a smuggler captain who was executed by the Eastwatch men for trading with the wildlings? I believe he was beheaded.

I expect the method is decided by whoever gives the order, just like in the rest of the kingdoms. Given the First Men tradition, I would expect those commanders in the Nights Watch who are from the northern houses with First Men roots to tend behead them themselves. 

I get the impression that in the 7K the rule, similar to Medieval England, is that the nobility are beheaded and commoners hung (unless it's someone following the First Men tradition doing the deed). No idea whether the Nights Watch hold to that. 

6 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

hung

Don't you recall Mariya's grammar lesson for Gatehouse Ami ? :D

A Feast for Crows - Jaime IV

"Outlaws killed him," sobbed Lady Amerei. "Father had only gone out to ransom Petyr Pimple. He brought them the gold they asked for, but they hung him anyway."

"Hanged, Ami. Your father was not a tapestry." Lady Mariya turned back to Jaime. "I believe you knew him, ser."

:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Bless your bollocks Rufus, but I think I love you x

Aww shucks :blush:

I really couldn't resist, that line was one of my favourite laugh-out-loud moments when I first read it :D

Anyway, you're right on the main point - nobles usually are granted the 'mercy' of  beheading in Westeros, where lesser sorts get the rope

1 hour ago, Rufus Snow said:

Aww shucks :blush:

I really couldn't resist, that line was one of my favourite laugh-out-loud moments when I first read it :D

Anyway, you're right on the main point - nobles usually are granted the 'mercy' of  beheading in Westeros, where lesser sorts get the rope

Unless you’re in the North, where everyone gets beheaded. Can’t think of any hangings in the North with the exception of Ramsay’s dead stepdad.

I think the only ancient NW's instruction re: the method of execution, would be "any way you fancy, just so it sticks". That the (bastard) son of Winterfell, and the former lord of Bear Island, favored beheading, is perfectly understandable.

10 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Unless you’re in the North, where everyone gets beheaded. Can’t think of any hangings in the North with the exception of Ramsay’s dead stepdad.

Robb rose to his feet. “Greatjon, keep Lord Karstark here till I return, and hang the other seven.”

1 hour ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

I think the only ancient NW's instruction re: the method of execution, would be "any way you fancy, just so it sticks". That the (bastard) son of Winterfell, and the former lord of Bear Island, favored beheading, is perfectly understandable.

Robb rose to his feet. “Greatjon, keep Lord Karstark here till I return, and hang the other seven.”

Yet Robb beheaded Karstark with his own hand. 

Either they behead or hang, the point of execution, is not only to punish those, that are guilty in something, but also to give a lesson to everyone else, so they do it publicly, if that option is available. Thus ice cells are not a viable option of execution.

Also, probably the method of execution is based on, who is the executioner, and where is it happening. If the perpetrator is punished by Lord Commander himself, then the method is beheading. But I doubt, that if Brothers or outsiders, will catch many deserters, somewhere far from The Wall, that they will bother with bringing them back, all the way to Castle Black. So most likely, those deserters will be just hanged, one by one, on a nearest tree. Also if there's one person to be executed, then Lord Commander will do it. But if there are many people, that has to be executed, then probably they will be hanged. If LC will behead several people in a row, then it's a bit overboard. LC should be seen by other Watchers, as their leader, so to make him look like a butcher, would be a bad strategy. People should respect him, not be disgusted, or creeped out by him.  

Archived