NFL 2018 Draft: On The One Hand...

Jace, Extat

43 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Bone Spurs Need Not apply.

I dunno.  I really enjoyed Bone Thugz and Harmony.  Long overdue for a follow up IMO

The NFL Network is showing an Aaron Rodgers game from week 5.

He's so fucking good. I fucking hate him with every fiber of my being, mostly because of jealousy. He threw the ball to the front pylon on the left side of the field from the 40 yard line going in on a fucking rope.

Jordy Nelson was held on the play, otherwise he would have caught the ball on the one yard line between the safety and corner on his way to a score.

It was beautiful. Just beautiful. The ball never went more than twenty feet in the air and had a fucking exhaust trail.

Jacoby has the arm for throws like that, but I can't expect the kid to ever be able to do that.

9 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The NFL Network is showing an Aaron Rodgers game from week 5.

He's so fucking good. I fucking hate him with every fiber of my being, mostly because of jealousy. He threw the ball to the front pylon on the left side of the field from the 40 yard line going in on a fucking rope.

Jordy Nelson was held on the play, otherwise he would have caught the ball on the one yard line between the safety and corner on his way to a score.

It was beautiful. Just beautiful. The ball never went more than twenty feet in the air and had a fucking exhaust trail.

Jacoby has the arm for throws like that, but I can't expect the kid to ever be able to do that.

That game was a thing of sheer beauty, which made the next week even more impossibly difficult to swallow

2 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

That game was a thing of sheer beauty, which made the next week even more impossibly difficult to swallow

As a hater, I'm glad to see McCarthy stuck around to hamstring the most talented QB I've ever seen. But the Packers are a sleeping giant this year. I know he lost Jordy, but Rodgers elevates all. And Jimmy Graham's strengths are similar to Jordy's, though obviously slow as dirt, so I actually expect him to flirt with breaking 20 TD's at some point in the season (pace wise, maybe not actually get that close).

Anyways, that line is still pretty good. The defense is eh, nothing worse than Peyton took to the 'ship a few times. Trouble is that they're in the NFC and that's the goddamn thunderdome. However, expect the Lions to crash back to doormat status as well as two free Bears wins so there's little doubt in my mind that they're an overpowered 5 seed. Their danger to get back to the SB will depend on health and the degree to which some WR evolves to fill the Jordy gap.

Someone is going to become Rodgers' new bestie. It could be Graham in the RZ, but I don't see him gaining a lot of yards this year so there's going to be someone between the 20's who gets that first look when Rodgers holds the ball for 6 seconds and the play breaks down.

47 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Someone is going to become Rodgers' new bestie. It could be Graham in the RZ, but I don't see him gaining a lot of yards this year so there's going to be someone between the 20's who gets that first look when Rodgers holds the ball for 6 seconds and the play breaks down.

That'd be Davante Adams. His chemistry with Rodgers might not be as developed as that of Jordy x Rodgers, but he's been a more dynamic receiver throughout 2016 and '17. Given his flashes of brilliance in '16, and what he was able to do with Hundley at the helm last season, I'm super excited to see his development as most of Rodgers' passing is directed toward him.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:05 PM, Tywin et al. said:

You don't have to have a top level QB to win. IIRC what you needs is a guy who grades out as top 12 in the league during the season that you win the title. And as far as trading back goes, it helps you stay young and cheap. It's a better model for long term stability. Sure you don't want to miss out on a potential franchise QB, but you really don't want to use a high pick who grades out as a second rounder.

I should clarify, being a Jets fan means always being in the QB basement, so to me a top-12, even top-15 QB is "top level" to me. If in 2009 the Jets had someone like Kurt Warner (#10 QB rating that year) or even Kyle Orton (#14) I think they could've won a Superb Owl; Mark Sanchez was #28. Same goes for 2015 if they'd had Big Ben (#11) or Aaron Rodgers (#15, it was a bit of a down year); Ryan FitzPatrick was #24.

The last downright good QB year that the Jets have had was 2002 with Chad Pennington (104.2QB rating was best in the league, 68.9% completion, 22TD-6INT, though only 3,120 yards). Its not a coincidence that was also the last season the Jets won the AFC East, and they destroyed the Colts 41-0 in the divisional round before losing to the one magical Rich Gannon Raiders season in Oakland.

45 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The Colts should trade #6 and #47 to the Giants for Odell Beckham and #34.

Fuck, throw in another 2nd next year too. And a couple of 4's for good measure.

Kind of a weird trade, but if the Colts were actually offering #6 and #47, I expect the Giants would take it.  At the very least there would be people in the building who'd want to take it.  Beckham is a great player, but he's a headache too, and injury prone, and heading into a contract year.  I think there's people in the Giants front office (possibly including the owner) who are less enamored with him than most Giants fans are. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Kind of a weird trade, but if the Colts were actually offering #6 and #47, I expect the Giants would take it.  At the very least there would be people in the building who'd want to take it.  Beckham is a great player, but he's a headache too, and injury prone, and heading into a contract year.  I think there's people in the Giants front office (possibly including the owner) who are less enamored with him than most Giants fans are. 

One fuckstick billionaire's loss is a drunken fool's gain.

Just now, Pony Queen Jace said:

One fuckstick billionaire's loss is a drunken fool's gain.

Meh.  When is the last time one great receiver has made the difference in a team winning a championship?  If you have to go all the way back to Jerry Rice, it's not a good sign. 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Meh.  When is the last time one great receiver has made the difference in a team winning a championship?  If you have to go all the way back to Jerry Rice, it's not a good sign. 

Getting there is half the battle. Are you going to suggest that Larry Fitzgerald, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and Danny 'Playoffs' Amendola haven't won playoff games on their own backs?

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Hines Ward?

I don't actually remember the 2005 SB that well though, so I don't remember if he actually deserved to be MVP or if it was just that Big Ben sucked and they didn't know who else to give it to.

Also, that's just the SB itself, not the entire season leading up to it.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Getting there is half the battle. Are you going to suggest that Larry Fitzgerald, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, and Danny 'Playoffs' Amendola haven't won playoff games on their own backs?

Having a great wide receiver is obviously better than having a bad one.  But trading the #6 pick and a second rounder for the privilege of giving Beckham a top dollar contract is a fools errand.  Those picks will bring in playmakers at a bargain price. 

Not to mention that none of the four guys you mentioned are anywhere the diva "me first" kinda receivers that Beckham is.  Fitzgerald and Julio hold the locker room together.  Beckham divides it, and a lot of people in NY are tired of it. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Having a great wide receiver is obviously better than having a bad one.  But trading the #6 pick and a second rounder for the privilege of giving Beckham a top dollar contract is a fools errand.  Those picks will bring in playmakers at a bargain price. 

Not to mention that none of the four guys you mentioned are anywhere the diva "me first" kinda receivers that Beckham is.  Fitzgerald and Julio hold the locker room together.  Beckham divides it, and a lot of people in NY are tired of it. 

If Odell Beckham was on the board at #6 would you take him?

I would, and I'd trade that 2nd rounder to move up and get him. The money is of no consequence to me (this won't happen anyway), the Colts have a projected $110 million in cap room next year with Luck already under contract. And after they cut him Jacoby is going to need a good WR.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Hines Ward?

I don't actually remember the 2005 SB that well though, so I don't remember if he actually deserved to be MVP or if it was just that Big Ben sucked and they didn't know who else to give it to.

Also, that's just the SB itself, not the entire season leading up to it.

The 2005 SB MVP should have gone to one of the Steelers defenders.  And Hines Ward wasn't an elite Top 5 receiver in 2005, he didn't even crack 1,000 yards that year. 

I'm not saying that a receiver can't have a great game and help win the Super Bowl.  Just that if you look at the 3-4 guys who would be considered the best receivers in the league, those guys almost never win the Super Bowl until after their prime was over.  A few have come close, notably Fitz and Julio were a heartbreaking play away from winning it, so I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it doesn't happen much. 

3 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

I traded for Rodgers literally four days before he broke his collarbone.  If it hadn't been a dynasty league, I'd have been a lot more upset, but it still sucked.  Lowered my team's ceiling by about four points per game (backup is Stafford, who is a solid low-end QB1).

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

RIP Sam Bradford

ETA:

That Wilson meme is fucking spot on fantastic!

Now on to LA, who the hell is running this team? Holy shake up everything and man do they look like a SB winner on paper. Plus with Suh being just one year they can kick the tires and be ok.

Archived