NFL 2018 Draft: On The One Hand...

Jace, Extat

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Kiper is still adamant that Allen will be the first pick. Rosen will go 2, 3 or 5.  

Kiper also tends to not know shit.  He's basically just a glorified hype man for draft prospects.  He doesn't have any real connections.  He takes bribes from agents to hype people up.

I was daydreaming a fantasy land in which Jim Irsay died tomorrow and bequeathed the Colts and his fortune to me. The first thing I imagined was trading back with the Bills to 12 and 21 and snagging Lamarr Jacksonne and Minka Fitzpatrick then being SUPER AGGRESSIVE towards Andy before running his ass outta town at the Trade deadline and relocating the franchise to San Diego in 2020 with one really hate filled year in 2019 when I became Mike Pence's own personal boogeyman.

It was a nice little half-sleep

13 hours ago, briantw said:

Kiper also tends to not know shit.  He's basically just a glorified hype man for draft prospects.  He doesn't have any real connections.  He takes bribes from agents to hype people up.

I’ve never heard of that, and I probably wouldn’t make those claims without some evidence. That said, honestly, nobody knows anything. Stephen A Smith is one of the top basketball analysts in the world, and he got something like 6 or 7 straight Finals predictions wrong. I honestly think you take any regular poster in this thread and give them a week to review game tape and scouting reports and they could do just as good a job as any of the pros.

55 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve never heard of that, and I probably wouldn’t make those claims without some evidence. That said, honestly, nobody knows anything. Stephen A Smith is one of the top basketball analysts in the world, and he got something like 6 or 7 straight Finals predictions wrong. I honestly think you take any regular poster in this thread and give them a week to review game tape and scouting reports and they could do just as good a job as any of the pros.

I agree, it's as much of a crap shoot as the final four brackets. I don't know crap about 99% of the teams out there and yet I do better than most of the analysts every single year.

If I had Clevelands picks I know I would do the opposite of what they will do. I'd take two of the following, Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson (?) the OL guy, then trade up and take Lamar Jackson later in the first round. They have plenty of picks to use to do this and Jackson could sit behind Taylor a year and learn. 

55 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Are the Jaquars the main team to go to London?

Eagles vs. Jaquars in London on October 28th. Full schedules to be released today at 8:00 PM EST.

Yes. Their ownership is cultivating the British market as a possible future permanent home. 

4 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Yes. Their ownership is cultivating the British market as a possible future permanent home. 

They'll all be sorry when my bitcoin vests and I move the island to San Diego!

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's been accused of doing just that in the past.  Feel free to look it up.

At any rate, my point was that Kiper doesn't seem to have any real connections within the NFL.  He's just a hype man for a shitty network that's staffed by tons of guys who don't know shit and are mostly there to drum up drama rather than do actual reporting.

There are plenty of real reporters out there who do have sources inside various NFL teams and around the league, so when they say they're hearing a team likes someone, it's from someone within the team.  Kiper just isn't one of them, which is why his mocks tend to be completely meaningless.  No doubt Allen's agent has been making it in Kiper's best interests to keep promoting his client's rise in the draft.

So the Giants cut Brandon Marshall, clearing 5+ million in cap room...Dez Bryant space?

As to the Kuiper bashing, he is just a talking head like the rest, none of them are immune.

There is an interesting article, I think ESPN did it (?) about Baker Mayfield, business of Baker, or being Baker? Anyway, in it they talk about a elite camp he went to in high school where he was making the same throws, same distances, same accuracy as other highly touted recruits who were there but coming out of the camp his name was never mentioned, only the recruits that were being hyped before the camp.

Similar article but different bias for Lamar Jackson about when he was getting recruited. Said when they put together film of him running and throwing, the coaches were less enthused, but when they just did the passing highlights the coaches were more excited about him. Implying that seeing his running highlights were swaying the coaches away from him instead of seeing it as an extra dimension.

So it just kind of shows that "talent evaluators" sometimes get blinders on and want to keep hyping up the person they said last year was great even though they have dropped off and someone else is better. It's like they are afraid to admit they missed someone else or picked wrong guy, job security I guess?

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So the Giants cut Brandon Marshall, clearing 5+ million in cap room...Dez Bryant space?

As to the Kuiper bashing, he is just a talking head like the rest, none of them are immune.

There is an interesting article, I think ESPN did it (?) about Baker Mayfield, business of Baker, or being Baker? Anyway, in it they talk about a elite camp he went to in high school where he was making the same throws, same distances, same accuracy as other highly touted recruits who were there but coming out of the camp his name was never mentioned, only the recruits that were being hyped before the camp.

Similar article but different bias for Lamar Jackson about when he was getting recruited. Said when they put together film of him running and throwing, the coaches were less enthused, but when they just did the passing highlights the coaches were more excited about him. Implying that seeing his running highlights were swaying the coaches away from him instead of seeing it as an extra dimension.

So it just kind of shows that "talent evaluators" sometimes get blinders on and want to keep hyping up the person they said last year was great even though they have dropped off and someone else is better. It's like they are afraid to admit they missed someone else or picked wrong guy, job security I guess?

I could definitely see Dez being a good fit as the locker room cancer in NY. They've been having to go out of their way to demonize Odell, it'll probably be a relief to the locker room.

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well, QBs who run a lot have a tendency to also get hurt a lot, so I could see why some coaches might see that and get second thoughts.  I think that, ideally, you want a QB who can run but who doesn't make it a major part of their game.

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The only NFL draft prediction you need, and I guarantee you will be more accurate than Mel Kiper.

https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2018/4/19/17257116/the-definitive-edsbs-nfl-mock-draft

Yeah that was probably as accurate as any other mock draft. I was writing down the "selections" trying to see who = who based on descriptions...then I realized I was going to deep into it.

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

Yeah that was probably as accurate as any other mock draft. I was writing down the "selections" trying to see who = who based on descriptions...then I realized I was going to deep into it.

The indy one is spot on imo

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Well, QBs who run a lot have a tendency to also get hurt a lot, so I could see why some coaches might see that and get second thoughts.  I think that, ideally, you want a QB who can run but who doesn't make it a major part of their game.

Same article shows that around 23% of his runs were not designed, so he generally doesn't run unless needed to. Also mentioned how Rosen missed a lot of time to injury and Jackson has not, but that injury risk keeps coming up when Jackson is mentioned, but not when Rosen is talked about.

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Same article shows that around 23% of his runs were not designed, so he generally doesn't run unless needed to. Also mentioned how Rosen missed a lot of time to injury and Jackson has not, but that injury risk keeps coming up when Jackson is mentioned, but not when Rosen is talked about.

I think the assumption is that, if you put Rosen on a team with a good offensive line, he'll be fine.  However, Jackson's game is always going to be inherently dangerous, and we've seen a lot of hyper-athletic QBs wash out because they couldn't stay healthy.

At any rate, I don't think it's fair to say that no one ever mentions Rosen's injuries.  It's basically the one major knock against him, outside of the bullshit about him not loving football, of course.

Just now, briantw said:

I think the assumption is that, if you put Rosen on a team with a good offensive line, he'll be fine.  However, Jackson's game is always going to be inherently dangerous, and we've seen a lot of hyper-athletic QBs wash out because they couldn't stay healthy.

Randall Cunningham, John Elway, Steve Young, Micheal Vick, Alex Smith, Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach all stayed healthy and they were all scramblers.

No one knows for sure, it just seems like a conveinient excuse.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Randall Cunningham, John Elway, Steve Young, Micheal Vick, Alex Smith, Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach all stayed healthy and they were all scramblers.

No one knows for sure, it just seems like a conveinient excuse.

Have you not seen Friday Night Lights? Black people can't play quarterback because they pee through their skin. Or something fucking awful and racist like that.

Archived