NFL 2018 Draft: On The One Hand...

Jace, Extat

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Randall Cunningham, John Elway, Steve Young, Micheal Vick, Alex Smith, Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach all stayed healthy and they were all scramblers.

No one knows for sure, it just seems like a conveinient excuse.

Of course no one knows for sure, but QBs who run a lot have a tendency to get hurt more than QBs who don't, and so it will always be a major concern with Jackson.  Maybe he beats it and stays healthy, but I probably wouldn't bet on that outcome.

I also think that calling Jackson a scrambler is inaccurate.  Running was a major, major aspect of his style of play.  A scrambler is a guy who runs sometimes to keep plays alive.  That's not Jackson.

1 hour ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Have you not seen Friday Night Lights? Black people can't play quarterback because they pee through their skin. Or something fucking awful and racist like that.

Well yes I have and love it. I was trying to be nice and say bias or something like that but ya know...

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well yes I have and love it. I was trying to be nice and say bias or something like that but ya know...

NAh brah. Antagonistic Jace is here for a lil' bit. Get ready for a lot of discarded social conventions.

I'm aiming for 5 warning points while never actually doing anything wrong.

5 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

NAh brah. Antagonistic Jace is here for a lil' bit. Get ready for a lot of discarded social conventions.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose! You can do it!

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Of course no one knows for sure, but QBs who run a lot have a tendency to get hurt more than QBs who don't, and so it will always be a major concern with Jackson.  Maybe he beats it and stays healthy, but I probably wouldn't bet on that outcome.

Citation needed. Point of fact, the research done shows that this is entirely inaccurate and the converse is true - the more stationary a QB is, the more likely they are to be hurt. 

Here's the first article I found, which indicates no statistical link.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Citation needed. Point of fact, the research done shows that this is entirely inaccurate and the converse is true - the more stationary a QB is, the more likely they are to be hurt. 

Here's the first article I found, which indicates no statistical link.

But Robert Griffin dislocated his ankle while throwing on the run!

I just got YouTube vortexed into a 'worst plays of all time' video from the NFL network that's a few years back. It was fun (in fact I think they'd made it in response to the 4th and Colt) but these kinds of football follies all leave out that about 6 or 8 years ago now the Chargers were in the middle of sealing a win against the Chiefs and Phillip Rivers botched a fucking kneeldown when they were trying to run out the clock an kick a field goal. The Chiefs recovered and either won in overtime or regulation as a result in a goddamn miracle. I want to say it happened when the Chargers were in a dogfight for the division too.

If I can't recreate the game soon I'll have to go back and peruse some old game logs because I'm wondering if it was during the year Tebow won the AFC West and that would just be too much.

Fuck Phillip Rivers and his freaky mormon family.

59 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

I see your new found ascension isn't going to your head at all.

Careful though. Now someone else can become "Pony Queen Jace" and steal your avatar a la @Jaime L and @Myshkin.

WE'LL HAVE ALL YOUR SEKRETS SOON! 

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

I agree, it's as much of a crap shoot as the final four brackets. I don't know crap about 99% of the teams out there and yet I do better than most of the analysts every single year.

If I had Clevelands picks I know I would do the opposite of what they will do. I'd take two of the following, Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson (?) the OL guy, then trade up and take Lamar Jackson later in the first round. They have plenty of picks to use to do this and Jackson could sit behind Taylor a year and learn. 

I actually wrote on that very scenario earlier in the week. But now I'm convinced they should grab Rosen first, Nelson fourth, and use the three second rounders on a RB, DT/DE and fill one more offensive need (not sure what that would be). 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I see your new found ascension isn't going to your head at all.

Careful though. Now someone else can become "Pony Queen Jace" and steal your avatar a la @Jaime L and @Myshkin.

WE'LL HAVE ALL YOUR SEKRETS SOON! 

One does not steal a Pony Queen.

One is born a Pony Queen.

Motherfucka and I'll kill you too

When a mad Empress stand up

Watchya gonna do

Ain't a Queen no more 'cause I can't bow down

No god on this earth gonna be above my crown!

Don't you know

Haven't you learned

Touch a Pony Jace and you gonna get burned

Weak willed @Week and ginned up @Jaime L

Westeros Experts startin' to look like Hell

'Cause I swarm

Attack from all sides

Gonna whup your ass, son hold my fries

When I blast

Through that wall

Gonna be a draft like you never saw

Dopey @dbunting to my left

Creaky @Kalbear to my right

All these posters best leave my sight

I don't know how to finish a song

I hope this isn't wrong

Mopey @Maithanet did I go too long?

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

:lmao:

I got your avatar all sized up! 

You know, there's a lot of clever factoids in my insane rants. For example, a historical distinction between King and Emperor is -indeed- that the Emperor is theoretically above any religious figure because they either are god or are the sole diviner.

And this isn't as ancient and irrelevant a bit of knowledge as you might think. Henry VIII used this ipso facto justification in breaking with the Catholic church in order to divorce his wife.

3 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

You know, there's a lot of clever factoids in my insane rants. For example, a historical distinction between King and Emperor is -indeed- that the Emperor is theoretically above any religious figure because they either are god or are the sole diviner.

And this isn't as ancient and irrelevant a bit of knowledge as you might think. Henry VIII used this ipso facto justification in breaking with the Catholic church in order to divorce his wife.

gurl everyone knows that shit! get some better factoids in here

6 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

MOAR SEKRETS! 

4 hours ago, briantw said:

He's been accused of doing just that in the past.  Feel free to look it up.

At any rate, my point was that Kiper doesn't seem to have any real connections within the NFL.  He's just a hype man for a shitty network that's staffed by tons of guys who don't know shit and are mostly there to drum up drama rather than do actual reporting.

Interesting, I had never heard that.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Well, QBs who run a lot have a tendency to also get hurt a lot, so I could see why some coaches might see that and get second thoughts.  I think that, ideally, you want a QB who can run but who doesn't make it a major part of their game.

I think, in general, it has less to do with getting hurt and more to do with coaches haven't seen that type of QB win very much. Factor in that these guys are creators of habit, and you can see why they'd be reluctant to draft running QBs.

That said, the last two first round picks with similar frames to Jackson are all kinds of broken now (RG3 and Bridgewater). 

45 minutes ago, sperry said:

He shared an agent with Jimmy Clausen and was endlessly hyping him up. Obviously, that did not end well.

Kiper in fact staked his career on the idea of Jimmy Clausen as a successful NFL quarterback.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/19/17226834/mel-kiper-jimmy-clausen-nfl-draft-bet

56 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Aww man. The Colts are officially Browned out. One primetime game on the slate and it's a Thursday nighter @ New England

Even when the Colts were good, they were still awful to watch.

Archived