NCAA Basketball 2017: Final Four cont.

DireWolfSpirit

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Not at all.

It doesn't help that he chucked it about twenty feet too high right after I posted that, but most of our big runs (not that either team has had too many big runs) were with him on the floor.

Man, someone is going to get a great player in the pros with Wendell Carter. And if he chooses to come back, Duke has a chance to be one of the best teams in NCAA history.

I know Carter is already going top 5 or 6, but if he comes back I think he could go #1 overall. Plus, he's one of those rare kids that's actually smart enough to be a student at Duke. He might want to run it back.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

I do think this was Self's best coaching job aside from the national championship season.

I think this is a better job than '08.  This team is just so different from his preferred makeup, the drama around Preston, getting De Sousa to graduate early (he should be going to prom, but he's going to the Final Four instead!), our struggles before and at the start of conference season... Self seems to do his best when his back's against the wall - our last visit to the FF was '12, and we had an extremely thin bench that year as well (our 7th man that year was a walk-on, whose brother is actually a freshman for us this year).

The best thing he did this year though was standing firm with Malik Newman.  That kid's grown up so much over the course of the season, I don't think I've seen anybody improve that much in-season.  Great article about him from after his great play in the Big XII tourney:

Although Newman started 25 games during the regular season and played big minutes because of the lack of depth on this Kansas roster, there were enough nights when the Mississippi State transfer and former McDonald's All-American no-showed and struggled to score, play defense or even put together three meaningful dribbles in a row.

A proud father who lives and dies with every good and bad moment his son has on the basketball court, Webster absorbed blows about Newman's struggles from all sides.

During games at Allen Fieldhouse, seated next to oblivious and well-meaning Kansas fans, Webster heard some tough conversations.

“I used to sit in the stands by people who didn't even know I was his dad and, when Marcus Garrett was starting in Malik's spot, they were like, 'Yes! Marcus is starting today. Thank God. We've got to be done with Newman. He just doesn't have it,'” Webster recalled in a conversation with the Journal-World. “That was their opinion. And, of course, I wasn't going to say nothing. But that was hard to hear. I knew what I was seeing out there wasn't my son.”

“Normally coaches would bend a little bit,” Webster remembered. “'Malik, you can get 30 (points) for me so I'm going to let you cut the corner.' Coach Self didn't give a damn if he could get 100. He'd say, 'You're going to do it how I want you to do it, when I want you to do it.' And I think that was great for Malik. It taught him that nothing's going to be given to you.”

It was that reality that made his slow start at Kansas so tough to take. Webster recalls long nights on the telephone with his son, breaking down the finest details of every game and trying, for the life of him, to figure out a way to help Newman break through.

After each phone call, which lasted anywhere from 20 minutes to three hours, Newman always signed off with the same words.

“Dad, we're going to be OK,” Newman would say. Or, “Dad, I'll be better tomorrow.”

“And he never blamed anyone for any of it,” Webster boasted. “It was just that, until Malik figured it out for himself, it was going to be a roller-coaster ride.”

“Coach was on him pretty hard and I was like, 'If coach could only just coach the hell out of him but still let him play through his mistakes, it could do wonders,' Webster said. “I mean, he would show glimpses of the kid he was in high school and then he would show glimpses of, 'Who the hell is this kid?' He had everybody scratching their heads and I was like, 'Malik, how you play the whole game and get no points?'

“But I think Coach Self had a plan, he wasn't going to let up, he was going to keep his foot on his neck until he got out of Malik what he thought he had in him. And I respect Coach Self for that. Coach is a Hall of Famer. He's one of the greatest coaches to ever coach in college. And you're either going to do it his way or no way. I don't give a damn if you're Kobe Bryant.”

“When he dives on the floor now I get 100 texts saying, 'Hey, is that Malik diving on the floor,'” said Webster with full-bodied laughter. “I don't think he had one floor burn until he got to Kansas. He didn't know how that hardwood felt. He never got on the floor.”

“Before he came to KU, I think he was just trying to get to the NBA,” Webster said. “He thought he could just show up and it was going to happen. And then reality hit him in the face and he realized you got to lace 'em up harder than that.”

It also helps how much trust his dad had in Self too.  I feel like I c&p'd a lot from that article (more than I normally would), but it's still only about 10%.  Best article I've read about a KU player this year.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

It also helps how much trust his dad had in Self too.  I feel like I c&p'd a lot from that article (more than I normally would), but it's still only about 10%.  Best article I've read about a KU player this year.

:lol: 

I was going to say the same thing!  You deserve to be giddy.

Heres what I said about Newman on a UK board earlier tonight:

Should be yet another lesson for all those elite players considering going to a lower tier school. He’s lucky he got another chance and came out looking like a hero.

(Also… am I the only one that thinks he is a dead ringer doe DeAndre Liggins???)

Updated all time wins list:

1. Kentucky > 2,263 – 699 > 76.4%
2. Kansas > 2,248 – 848 > 72.6%
3. North Carolina > 2,232 – 792 > 73.8%
4. Duke > 2,144 – 881 > 70.9%

Kansas has gained 5 wins on UK so far this season, cutting the UK lead from 20 to 15. 

Kentucky and North Carolina finish with identical records of 26 – 11, so UK remains 31 games ahead of North Carolina.

Kansas beating Duke kept the Blue Devils from winning 30 games, which would of tied UK for the most 30 win seasons at 15. It also kept Duke from going to it’s 17th Final Four, which would have tied UK and UCLA for second most Final Fours.

Archived