What are your Choices for the Worst Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Movies ?

GAROVORKIN

This topic covers a wide range categories  Like,  A complete absence of good and competent writing , Directionless directing, Proper film editing was a complete afterthought, Diabolical acting. and  special effects and   production value which range from mediocre all the way down tp " Oh my god the hero is being menaced by a cheap looking prop ! " 

What films make you make you list for the worst and what qualities makes them so memorably bad ?:D

Damnation Alley 1977 staring George Peppard and Jan Michael  Vincent. Paul Winfield .   Based on the 1969 Rodger Zelazny novel of the same name.  The book is a terrific read , The movie version is a travesty because they took Zelazny's entire concept and threw it out in favor of a Z grade story  which had little in common with the book.  Add to that special effects that were shoddy and cheap looking. 

Meteor  1979   . This film had a great cast  Sean Connery , Natalie Wood and Matin Landau and cant's miss disaster movie premise. Unfortunately it missed on all counts. The film suffered from bad story and script , aimless direction and  long tedious intervals betwwen the  action scenes  and good actors with nothing to do. An epic disaster.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Armageddon showed you what meteors have to offer.    They can kill Die Hard guy.    Only 5 things in the universe can do that.   Lava / stellar core   ;  deep sea pressures + drowning  ;    The Colt (magical firearm from Supernatural)  ;   a Singularity / the Big Crunch (inverted Big Bang).

I remembered one for horror:   Frogs.

Probably tough to find a copy of it.   Literally, people would scream, the camera would cut away for a second, and then you'd see them laying dead on the ground covered in frogs.  

On 3/25/2018 at 2:28 PM, Leap said:

Eragon is pretty bad. I mean, the source material is hardly top tier fantasy so it's not really that surprising that the film sucked, but this film doesn't even appeal to the readers of the series. Surprisingly, it has a fairly stacked cast, and even the at-the-time newcomers (lead two characters) have gone on to appear in successful tv shows. Plus Jeremy Irons, Rachel Weisz, Robert Carlyle, Djimon Hounsou, John Malkovich...I mean, the only one of those who was remotely entertaining was Irons' Brom. 

All in all just a bad, forgettable fantasy film of the mid-2000s. The only noteworthy things about it really is the popularity of the series it's based on (hopefully not so popular that they try and reboot it again), and the cast. 

Oh my god.  Eragon is one of the worst movies I have ever seen and I enjoy the books.  I lost my shit when the young dragon flew into a cloud, lightning struck the cloud, and a fully grown dragon flew out the other side.  I mean, I understand needing the dragon to get older in a hurry, but they couldn't even just do a montage.  Horrible.

I am probably going to get shit for this, but the only fantasy film I decided to stop watching was The Neverending Story. All the characters are so ugly, when the land was supposed to be this beautiful, magical place with different creatures. I totally didn't buy that those grotesque puppets are characters I should care for.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am probably going to get shit for this, but the only fantasy film I decided to stop watching was The Neverending Story. All the characters are so ugly, when the land was supposed to be this beautiful, magical place with different creatures. I totally didn't buy that those grotesque puppets are characters I should care for.

The first film was fun, the sequel not so much and the third film in the series was cheap and dire.

19 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The first film was fun, the sequel not so much and the third film in the series was cheap and dire.

No idea about the sequels, I only managed it through the beginning of the first one.

I love the book it is based on, BTW. I feel the imagery from the books makes a huge disservice to the beauty described in there.

Archived