US Politics: March Madness

Fragile Bird

Oh really?  Then what about this?

As President Trump heads into one of the most critical phases of the special counsel’s investigation, his personal legal team has shrunk to essentially just one member, and he is struggling to find any top lawyers willing to represent him.

Working for a president is usually seen as a dream job. But leading white-collar lawyers in Washington and New York have repeatedly spurned overtures to take over the defense of Mr. Trump, a mercurial client who often ignores his advisers’ guidance. In some cases, lawyers’ firms have blocked any talks, fearing a backlash that would hurt business.

49 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Seems apropos.

Carry on.

eta: Young people in Washington, the NRA everywhere, the share price of Facebook (down another $8.88 today so far), a certain person in the Oval office, and oh ya, basketball. 

I would like to see them ban Assault Rifles and stricter background checks and penalties at the federal level At the alot tougher. But I have a feeling  not much is likely to change on Gun Control that level . Much of  It will fall to the states to pass stricter gun rules.  

Holy smokes. The trial of the Pulse nightclub shooter's wife has been going on for a week. She was charged with providing support to a terrorist organization and obstruction of justice, the idea being she must have known what he was going to do.

On the weekend the prosecution sent an email to the defense team revealing that the shooter's father had been a confidential FBI informant from 2005 to June of 2016, when it was discovered he had been transferring money to Turkey and Afghanistan. He is now under criminal investigation.

The defense has now made a motion for the charges to be dismissed or for a mistrial to be declared for the failure of prosecutors to reveal information advantageous to the accused.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/26/us/noor-salman-pulse-trial-fbi-informant/index.html

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Holy smokes. The trial of the Pulse nightclub shooter's wife has been going on for a week. She was charged with providing support to a terrorist organization and obstruction of justice, the idea being she must have known what he was going to do.

On the weekend the prosecution sent an email to the defense team revealing that the shooter's father had been a confidential FBI informant from 2005 to June of 2016, when it was discovered he had been transferring money to Turkey and Afghanistan. He is now under criminal investigation.

The defense has now made a motion for the charges to be dismissed or for a mistrial to be declared for the failure of prosecutors to reveal information advantageous to the accused.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/26/us/noor-salman-pulse-trial-fbi-informant/index.html

I saw that.  Pretty big potential Brady violation.  Note that this information was only released afterthe prosecution had rested its case.  They were supposed to start presenting the defense today. This is not the only issue with the trial.  See the attached slate article.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/omar-mateens-father-was-fbi-informant-court-documents-say.html

And I guess what I would say about the job of national security adviser is that you want someone in that role who runs a fair process, and we know from Bolton’s history that he’s the opposite of an honest broker. You want somebody who presents all of the most accurate information possible; and we know from Bolton’s history that he was a champion of the most aggressive intelligence assessments of Iraq WMD and, in fact, tried to cook up his own assessments of a nonexistent Cuban biological weapons program.

And you want somebody who is fundamentally going to try to explain to the president the downside risks of military action and of some of the kinds of more aggressive steps that Trump might consider. And Bolton, I think, is only going to super-charge all of those things. So, in all of those ways I think he’s ill-suited for the job, but also by occupying that perch in an administration that does not have kind of regular order procedure, he will have outsized influence on decision-making.

At the end of the day, the president makes the decisions; that doesn’t change, even with Donald Trump as president; but I think this national security adviser in this moment has the capacity to have a really significant amount of influence on the way things play out on some of these crucial national security issues.

‘It’s Very Difficult to Overestimate the Potential Danger John Bolton Could Put Us In’
Talking national security with Jake Sullivan, Hillary Clinton’s top foreign policy adviser.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/26/jake-sullivan-john-bolton-global-politico-217707

5 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

‘It’s Very Difficult to Overestimate the Potential Danger John Bolton Could Put Us In’
Talking national security with Jake Sullivan, Hillary Clinton’s top foreign policy adviser.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/26/jake-sullivan-john-bolton-global-politico-217707

The more I read, the more terrified I am of this appointment.

1 minute ago, aceluby said:

My hope is, Bolton will come on too strong for Trump to handle and Trump will send him packing quickly.  Grasping at straws I suppose.  

21 minutes ago, aceluby said:

18 minutes ago, LongRider said:

My hope is, Bolton will come on too strong for Trump to handle and Trump will send him packing quickly.  Grasping at straws I suppose.  

This appointment scares the hell out of me .    Rand Paul thinks  he can find enough Senate  votes  to Block John Bolton's appointment . Im wondering how many other Republican Senators have misgiving about this appointment? 

2 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Rand Paul thinks  he can find enough Senate  votes  to Block John Bolton's appointment . Im wondering how many other Republican Senators have misgiving about this appointment? 

NSA is not something the Senate can block. It does not require Senate confirmation. I believe you may be refering to Paul threatening to block Bolton when Trump was briefly considering him for Secretary of State.

2 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

This appointment scares the hell out of me.   Rand Paul thinks  he can find enough Senate  votes  to Block John Bolton's appointment . Im wondering how many other Republican Senators have misgiving about this appointment? 

NSA is not a cabinet post, they do not need to be confirmed.  I'm fairly sure that Bolton wouldn't stand a chance in the Senate. 

Just now, Ran said:

NSA is not something the Senate can block. It does not require Senate confirmation. I believe you may be refering to Paul threatening to block Bolton when Trump was briefly considering him for Secretary of State.

Apologies and I stand corrected on this .  So he's getting in. Not good news. :(

Obama man, so much class.

“Your son seemed like an extraordinary young man, and Michelle and I grieve alongside you,” the letter reportedly said. “We can only imagine the hardship you are going through; hopefully all the wonderful memories can help ease the pain. We’ll get the details about your fund in his honor. In the meantime, you are in our thoughts and prayers.”

The handwritten note was signed by Barack Obama.

Linda Beigel Schulman told the magazine that she has not heard from current President Trump.

“I received no correspondence whatsoever. I received nothing from the White House. I got a beautiful letter from Marco Rubio,” Beigel Schulman said. “I’ve gotten letters from other congressmen. But no, nothing from the president.”

She said she believed Trump should have reached out to her following her son’s death, but she wasn’t disappointed.

“Because I didn’t expect it,” she said. “I have realistic expectations."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/380278-obama-wrote-letter-to-parents-of-parkland-teacher-killed-in

6 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I notice Jimmy Carter didn't write a letter. What's up with that, Carter?

Nor did Bill Clinton, George HW Bush or George Bush.   Reagan would have but he's dead, so is Lincoln (both touched by gun violence, mind you.) 

5 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Nor did Bill Clinton, George HW Bush or George Bush.   Reagan would have but he's dead, so is Lincoln (both touched by gun violence, mind you.) 

I was just doing a bit. Y'know, put it all on Carter?

I always liked Jimmy, but back in the 'aughts everyone loved to shit on that poor peanut man.

Archived