The Order of the Green Hand

I have watched parts o a few of their videos, maybe two or three. And I have to disagree with you... I find their ideas lack proper support. They connect things that aren't connected, they dismiss things because they don't fit their ideas. They create a lot of their own fanfic, and sort of pass it off as "evidence". 

But there are loads of people here who really enjoy them. 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I have watched parts o a few of their videos, maybe two or three. And I have to disagree with you... I find their ideas lack proper support. They connect things that aren't connected, they dismiss things because they don't fit their ideas. They create a lot of their own fanfic, and sort of pass it off as "evidence". 

You really should watch all their videos they are super entertaining, interessting and good original theories.

Can you point out where their theories lack support, connect things that arent connected and where they dismiss things because they dont fit their ideas? Where do they create their own fanfic and pass of evidence?

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

You kind of trashed their entire channel after watching parts of two or three videos and dont provide any examples of them being stupid.

As I said before, I had some strange encounter with these Order of the Green Hand guys when they promoted their Old Nan is Rohanne Webber theory. I told them that the Brandon Stark Old Nan nursed was born in 227 AC the latest, but Rohanne disappeared in 230 AC. Their response was that GRRM was known to make mistakes and they did not trust his dates. And even before that I was kind of speechless when they did some calculation on the date of Brandon and LF's duel which took around ten minutes, and then they came to the conclusion that it took place in 283 AC. Now it takes 30 seconds to find out the fact that Brandon already died in 282 AC, but yeah... After these experiences I chose to ignore them.

20 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

That seems to be the case with many YouTube ASOIAF content creators.

11 minutes ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

You kind of trashed their entire channel after watching parts of two or three videos and dont provide any examples of them being stupid.

You ask people to "be nice" in the OP, and now are acting up and putting words in my mouth to elicit a response from me. 

Not a good start IMO. :cheers:

33 minutes ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

Hello guys have you guys checked out this channel?

They make great quality videos and some very unique and convincing theories. I feel like they might be among the few who actually have figured out a large part of the books lol.

What do you guys think of their theories? :) 

Please be calm and nice in comments :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

You really should watch all their videos they are super entertaining, interessting and good original theories.

Can you point out where their theories lack support, connect things that arent connected and where they dismiss things because they dont fit their ideas? Where do they create their own fanfic and pass of evidence?

15 minutes ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

1 minute ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

So they perhaps got 2 dates wrong and you choose to ignore them when they have otherwise very convincing and well made theories?

Advertising. You're doing it wrong.

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

You ask people to "be nice" in the OP, and now are acting up and putting words in my mouth to elicit a response from me. 

Not a good start IMO. :cheers:

Im not angry i just really like them and you demolished them without providing any examples. 

Sorry if i came off as that to you. I am just slightly unsatisfied with your response. :huh:

4 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

As I said before, I had some strange encounter with these Order of the Green Hand guys when they promoted their Old Nan is Rohanne Webber theory. I told them that the Brandon Stark Old Nan nursed was born in 227 AC the latest, but Rohanne disappeared in 230 AC. Their response was that GRRM was known to make mistakes and they did not trust his dates. And even before that I was kind of speechless when they did some calculation on the date of Brandon and LF's duel which took around ten minutes, and then they came to the conclusion that it took place in 283 AC. Now it takes 30 seconds to find out the fact that Brandon already died in 282 AC, but yeah... After these experiences I chose to ignore them.

Yeah, lots of that sort of thing. One of the latest ones, can't remember what it was about, had loads of the same stuff.

And the actual presentations are bad to boot.

1 minute ago, Bini said:

That seems to be the case with many YouTube ASOIAF content creators.

Indeed.

I don’t care for video theories in general as they discourage analysis. You watch at the video creator’s pace with a lot of flashy pictures and can’t mull over ideas or cross-reference at your own pace. I think some use the medium intentionally to inhibit analysis and then post outrageous theories in order to get views. That, and there’s typically no real discussion (I mean analysis) following a youtube video as somehow youtube comments seem to be even stupider than what’s typically seen on reddit.

If anyone is serious about their theory, they need to put it out there in such a way where it can be analyzed properly without requiring people to  go through play-pause-rewind hell to do it.

2 minutes ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

So they perhaps got 2 dates wrong and you choose to ignore them when they have otherwise very convincing and well made theories?

Yes. Because these two mistakes made the whole theories impossible. And if someone is not able to recognise that, I am not interested in the rest of his thoughts, because when I watch two videos which are based on wrong dates and thus wrong, chances are pretty high that the rest is not any different.

19 minutes ago, Tom Cruise said:

They're crap.  Go listen to @LmL if you want to hear some good stuff.

Why are they crap?:huh:

I have watched a lot of LmLs videos but i think that he does not make many interessting theories it seems to mostly be symbolism. And symbolism and astronomy though i think it is important especially when it comes to symbology and hints and such can be interpreted in so many different ways that i dont think George made it that important as LmL makes it out to be. It is just to hard for a reading audience to read the same and interpret it the same.

I do like him though but that would be my one critique against him.

1 hour ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

Hello guys have you guys checked out this channel?

They make great quality videos and some very unique and convincing theories. I feel like they might be among the few who actually have figured out a large part of the books lol.

What do you guys think of their theories? :) 

Please be calm and nice in comments :rolleyes:

What I would recommend is to advance one of the theories they propose, and we could debate it.

Simply asking people what they think of a particular channel is usually not very fruitful, and it comes across as if you’re trying to push up their clicks for some reason.

41 minutes ago, KingLordPresidentMaster said:

Why are they crap?:huh:

OotGH is crap because:

1. They claim to never read forums, which is an arrogant mistake because how are you supposed to have discussion enough to make sense of the text and its details? Living in a vacuum has never progressed anyone. Also, I find it hard to believe that they do not visit forums.
  2. No, there is zero discussion in their youtube comments section. It is a bunch of followers commenting on how nice the guys voice sounds and how nice the girls hair looks.
  3. What does happen when you try to make a counterclaim that shows book text to back it up? They give you the line, "well, you just aren't paying attention," which is arrogant and close-minded as hell. They are making the claim that other people are just not as smart as they are, and only they found out the "truth"... all without any outside discussion.
  4. And when you watch a video and they bring up that the fact that so many other readers disagree with them, or question them, they put this picture up on the screen. That is a rather classless move. 
  5. Even when they are guesting on other youtube/podcasts for other "tubers", they are rude to them. This happened in the Ideas of IF podcast.
  6. They ignore the full text.
  7. We ALL KNOW that the World book was written with purposeful misdirection. The author has said so many a time, yet they have video after video of them making crass comments and attitudes toward a fiction book written by fiction people. Grow up. There is truth in the World book, you just have to know how to look for it.
  8. Their take on Catelyn was just hilariously bad. Love Cat or hate her, the way these guys present their case is so bad that even the poster Jon's Queen Consort found herself defending Catelyn, and she reeeaaally dislikes Catelyn, as she would tell you.
  9. Their take on Bloodraven is just trash. They start the first section of the video just going on and on and on about how "gross" he is because he is an albino with a big gross birthmark and why would anyone like him or trust him, blah, blah, blah. Really? THAT is what they think the author was trying to do when developing Brynden Rivers????
  10. They ignore the full book text and they are massively guilty of thinking they know the story better than George RR Martin does. How may times do they make comments, per episode, that George got it wrong, or George doesn't know the timeline... but they do :rolleyes:

Ok, I have to turn it up to 11...

Their video about Jon and Val being twins is so far from wrong that I generally die from laughing so hard each and every time I even think about it. I am dead right now typing this because of that video.

Archived