The Armored Saint by Myke Cole

HokieStone

Saw this at the bookstore the other day and remembered hearing something about it.  Since it was so short, I grabbed it.  I'm about halfway through now; I enjoy it well enough... but at this point it feels like the book in its entirety isn't going to be much more than the intro to most fantasy series.  :dunno: 

Finished it up.  I will say that I enjoyed it, but I think I did it no favors by reading it just after Red Sister and Grey Sister.  Armored Saint is quite good, but I gotta go with Nona Grey over Heloise.

Specifically on the book, my earlier post is still accurate.  I feel almost like this is the point we would be leaving the Two Rivers/Winterfell.  As much as I have felt weary of the doorstoppers like Oathbringer, it’s a bit surprising I would feel this way.  I think the book being only 200 pages makes it a bit short and we would have been fine with another 100.

Spoiler

Basically I see no reason the book couldn’t have resolved the conflict with Brother Tone’s unit of the Order.  

I thought the book was enjoyable and at just 200ish pages, it’s the perfect length to squeeze between a couple other books or to fill a gap if you know another book is releasing in a few days.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, Rhom said:

Specifically on the book, my earlier post is still accurate.  I feel almost like this is the point we would be leaving the Two Rivers/Winterfell. 

Yeah, that's how I felt as well.  On the other hand it was nice to be done with a book in such a short period of time.  I'll be curious if the sequels are just as short, or if they "grow in the telling".

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished QoC the other day.  It was okay.  It’s short like AS.  To the point that I really feel the three books together would make one decent novel.

This book seems to have a bit of the middle book scenario going on.  There’s some good stuff happening here, but really nothing we have not seen elsewhere and the book doesn’t have a big revelation like the end of Armored Saint to make you think the bad guys maybe weren’t all bad.

Archived