Daenerys & Poison

ScaledBird

Three times Daenerys has almost been poisoned... and Dany predicted the third.

Ser Jorah saved me from the poisoner, and Arstan Whitebeard from the manticore. Perhaps Strong Belwas will save me from the next. Storm of Swords pg 113 Daenerys I

Ser Jorah and the wine seller, Arstan and the Sorrowful Men and then Strong Belwas eats the Locusts that were poisoned by the Sons of the Harpy. Each of these men were sent by Varys and Illyrio. Could these also be the three treasons?

three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

Wineseller could be for Gold as the man wants a lordship or it could be Blood as Robert wants all of the blood of the dragon dead or Roberts Love of Lyanna

Sorrowfull men could be for Gold as they are paid assassins, or for the Blood of the Warlocks

Sons of the Harpy could be Gold when they bring back slavery, Blood of the Masters or Love of the old ways

Any thoughts?

Perhaps.  I think two of the treasons have already taken place.  Possibly the third, as you say.  Hizdahr poisoned the locusts.  

The treasons may be related to fire and necromancy.  The perpetrators gets roasted and somebody is brought back to life.  The death of Drogo and the execution of MMD brought back the dragons.  

I doubt it these were the three treasons. It would seem to me that for a treason to warrant mention a prophecy like that, it would have to be a major betrayal from someone she trusted dearly. So Jorah ratting her out to the Usurper would be one.

But it is also possible that since the wording was very careful -- "three treasons you will know" -- that Dany might not even be the victim here, but the betrayer...

This poisoning attempts, look too much like something too small, to gain for them a place in the prophecies. Ben Plumm going to Yunkaii's side, is more impactful on Dany's life, than any of those poisonings.

Also it seems, that the wine seller was actually sent by Varys. And Varys was already aware, that Jorah fell in love with Dany (this was reported to Illyrio by Doreah, whom was sent with them, to spy after Jorah), and thus he can't be trusted anymore, with Varys' real plans. So Varys has sent that poisoner, but also thru Illyrio, he has sent a message to Jorah, by which Jorah was hinted about what could happen. They knew how Jorah will act, after he will get that message. The point of it all, was not to actually poison Dany, the real goal was to make Khal Drogo to think, that he has to protect his wife and unborn son, by going into war. If not intervention of Mirri Maz Duur, that intentionally infected Drogo's wound, Dany and Drogo with their khalasar, eventually would have joined forces with fAegon and Golden Company. That was Varys' and Illyrio's real intention, when they married Dany to Dothraki Khal.

Furthermore maybe second attempt also was Varys/Illyrio's doing. Maybe that poisoner actually was not one of Sorrowful Men. Because they have never failed before. So maybe whoever he was, just pretended to be Sorrowful Man. And the real reason behind this attack, was for Barristan (who was unaware of what was really happening) to save Dany, and after that Dany should have became grateful to him, trusted to him, and went with him back to Illyrio. And Illyrio would have revealed to her, that her nephew Aegon is alive. And then she would have helped him to seize 7K, and even assisted him with help of her dragons. Because she was ready to give away her dragon eggs even to Viserys, just because he was her brother:

“He had planned to take your dragon’s eggs, until I warned him that I’d cut off his hand if he so much as touched them.”

For a moment Dany was so shocked she had no words. “My eggs…but they’re mine, Magister Illyrio gave them to me, a bride gift, why would Viserys want…they’re only stones…”

“The same could be said of rubies and diamonds and fire opals, Princess…and dragon’s eggs are rarer by far. Those traders he’s been drinking with would sell their own manhoods for even one of those stones, and with all three Viserys could buy as many sellswords as he might need.”

Dany had not known, had not even suspected. “Then…he should have them. He does not need to steal them. He had only to ask. He is my brother…and my true king.”

“He is your brother,” Ser Jorah acknowledged.

“You do not understand, ser,” she said. “My mother died giving me birth, and my father and my brother Rhaegar even before that. I would never have known so much as their names if Viserys had not been there to tell me. He was the only one left. The only one. He is all I have.”

Viserys nearly always mistreated Dany. So sweet and charming Aegon, son of the last dragon, would have easily gained Dany's trust and support, and her dragons, and maybe even her love, and place near her, as her husband.

And Blackfyres were sure, that Dany will be willing to give support of her dragons to Aegon, because Jorah reported to Varys, that when he mentioned this to Dany, she said, that she can let her brother have them.

First two poisonings looks to be fake. Both planned by team Blackfyre, as a decoy, to get something from Dany. 

Maybe third poisoning also was their doing. Only this time they did planned to kill her. To prevent her from going to Westeros, and ruining fAegon's conquest of 7K. Twice she failed to play her role, as fAegon's cheerleader. So now it's too late for her to join the big game. Now she will only get in their way. Thus they had to get rid of her.

How about this theory? - "Three poisonings by Blackfyres" ;)

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

I doubt it these were the three treasons. It would seem to me that for a treason to warrant mention a prophecy like that, it would have to be a major betrayal from someone she trusted dearly. So Jorah ratting her out to the Usurper would be one.

But it is also possible that since the wording was very careful -- "three treasons you will know" -- that Dany might not even be the victim here, but the betrayer...

I agree. We still don't have enough to know if Dany will be betrayed, or if she will be the betrayer. And the way Martin words it make me think there's a good chance she will be doing the betraying, not the other way around. 

48 minutes ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

With two books left to go I doubt we’ve seen more than one treason, mayhaps two. Surely the last will be very close to the end and will significantly alter Daenerys’s fate.

I was just thinking the same thing as I read through the comments... we still have two books left! I doubt all of any of the “prophecies” and visions have happened. And yeah, whatever is left is going to finish flipping that coin one way or another. 

On 4/1/2018 at 1:51 AM, ScaledBird said:

Each of these men were sent by Varys and Illyrio. Could these also be the three treasons?

Good catch but I don't think so. First first treason is MMZ, clearly. Also, considering that these treasons are mentioned by the Undying, they may have monumental consequences more than petty politics. For example, the MMZ's treason plays into the birth of dragons in a major way. The mount mentioned in the prophesy, the fire she lights, and the treason she knows is all connected to the birth of the dragons. In the same way, the other treasons may be connected to the other two as well.

The second mount she rides to dread is Drogon, which will be connected to the fire she lights for death, and the treason for gold. All three probably occurs in relation to Dany's adventures in Slaver's Bay and her realizing that she needs to use her dragons to keep order. The treason for gold may occur with regards to that. Perhaps Daario takes an offer he can't refuse.Who does she really trust at this point that can be swayed with money? 

On 02/04/2018 at 4:05 PM, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

The second mount she rides to dread is Drogon, which will be connected to the fire she lights for death, and the treason for gold. All three probably occurs in relation to Dany's adventures in Slaver's Bay and her realizing that she needs to use her dragons to keep order. The treason for gold may occur with regards to that. Perhaps Daario takes an offer he can't refuse.Who does she really trust at this point that can be swayed with money? 

I quite like the idea of the treason for gold being a betrayal from Tyrion, but he hasn’t even met her yet and it doesn’t seem to fit into the timeline very well. The treason for gold could refer to the Golden Company in some way. I am expecting a betrayal from Daario though, he seemed dangerously bitter at Daenerys’s marriage to Hizdahr. 

On 3/31/2018 at 1:21 PM, ScaledBird said:

Three times Daenerys has almost been poisoned... and Dany predicted the third.

Ser Jorah and the wine seller, Arstan and the Sorrowful Men and then Strong Belwas eats the Locusts that were poisoned by the Sons of the Harpy. Each of these men were sent by Varys and Illyrio. Could these also be the three treasons?

Wineseller could be for Gold as the man wants a lordship or it could be Blood as Robert wants all of the blood of the dragon dead or Roberts Love of Lyanna

Sorrowfull men could be for Gold as they are paid assassins, or for the Blood of the Warlocks

Sons of the Harpy could be Gold when they bring back slavery, Blood of the Masters or Love of the old ways

Any thoughts?

Jorah was the betrayer for gold. He was looking to be pardoned so he could return home and resume his place as lord of bear island. 
This happened before she went to the HotU, but she didn't find out about it until afterwards 
The betrayal for blood could be any number of people who are secretly sons of the harpy. Not sure which one. 
The Betrayal for love will be Dario. There has to be a way to get him out of the picture so she can get to westeros. There are only two books left and if she doesn't move soon the story will end without her  

20 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

I quite like the idea of the treason for gold being a betrayal from Tyrion, but he hasn’t even met her yet and it doesn’t seem to fit into the timeline very well. The treason for gold could refer to the Golden Company in some way. I am expecting a betrayal from Daario though, he seemed dangerously bitter at Daenerys’s marriage to Hizdahr. 

So far, the stuff in the Undying prophesy Dany is given  are largely literal and symbolic at the same time. The mounts she rides are actual literal mounts, while the blue flower at the Wall is more symbolic. The gold betrayal is probably a treason committed over money. If the Golden Company is involved, it would still be about someone taking a lot of money and betraying Dany. Daario may seem jealous but I don't think he really is. He's an opportunist and he probably wants to social climb to king at Dany's side. With Hizdar, it didn't work out. But he may still have plans. 

Archived