MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

@Myshkin  

I didn't know Jansen's early season woes warranted a full-blown analysis, but, well, you got it.

Also, how bout Ohtani!  

Finally, to not neglect the Yankees, it was reported yesterday that Chance Adams had surgery over the offseason to remove a bone spur in his elbow.  That changes things in terms of my view of him - it helps explain the dip in performance late last year, which according to scouting reports corresponded to a dip in his stuff as well.  Hopefully he will resume confounding expectations soon.

On 4/4/2018 at 11:52 PM, Triskele said:

For what it's worth to any of you good people I am in a new neighborhood with a new cable plan and will actually be able to view Doyer games within the LA city limits.  What a revelation.  

So...you lost a bet then and that is your consequence...?

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The Yankees relief pitching is killing me. They were built up as being so potentially great and I haven't seen anything of the sort. 

It’s April, they’ll be fine. But this series has been incredibly annoying to watch. 

Did anyone happen to see the play Friday when Didi was called out at home on the passed ball in the 10th inning? How is that not blocking the plate? I don’t know the official rules on that particular play because it was the pitcher and the ball was flipped to that spot I guess; but they made contact before the ball even got to his glove.

I really wanted to see Showalter absolutely lose his shit if it was overruled too.

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

It’s April, they’ll be fine. But this series has been incredibly annoying to watch. 

Did anyone happen to see the play Friday when Didi was called out at home on the passed ball in the 10th inning? How is that not blocking the plate? I don’t know the official rules on that particular play because it was the pitcher and the ball was flipped to that spot I guess; but they made contact before the ball even got to his glove.

I really wanted to see Showalter absolutely lose his shit if it was overruled too.

The pitcher wasn't posted up at the plate waiting for the ball, he was moving towards it and I think that is the reason why it wasn't overturned. The worst part of the play was the fact that Didi didn't go in studs up.

9 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The pitcher wasn't posted up at the plate waiting for the ball, he was moving towards it and I think that is the reason why it wasn't overturned. The worst part of the play was the fact that Didi didn't go in studs up.

It was a great play but Givens was going to block Didi before the ball was even tossed, and he actually had to reach to his left to catch it so the ball absolutely didn’t take him to that spot like they explained after the game. I’m just trying to understand the new rules because I figured that was a huge no-no nowadays. A few seasons ago I would never have even thought about questioning a play like that.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Stanton goes 0-7 with 5 strikeouts. Another platinum sombrero. This season, he’s had 42 ABs and 20 SOs.

Told ya!

April strikeouts bring May less strikeouts.

ETA: Also just finally saw Rendon’s ejection. Holy shit. He flicked his bat and that was it. Absurd.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think he's typically been bad in April, so hold out hope, but he also has really bad stretches every season. 

I’ve had him as a keeper in my main nerd league since he was a rookie so I’m used to his ups and downs. He’ll be just fine, if he can stay healthy of course.

I have zero worry about Stanton, and I think it's kind of silly - if entirely expected - to have any with 152 games to play.  The only thing that made me slightly concerned in the first ten games is the bullpen.  There's sure to be regression which will help, but if Boone has as quick a hook on his starters all season like he's demonstrated so far, the bullpen is gonna be gassed by the ASB likely necessitating new (and fresh) arms.  And their 40-man reservoir was depleted a few days ago when Ben Heller had Tommy John.

Archived