MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I missed the game today, but they intentionally walked Donaldson to load the bases with 2 outs and get to Smoak? Such a Girardi-like move. I hate it also.

That's all we're going to see from Boone I fear. Guys like him and Gabe Kapler were hired to manage based on the numbers they're given, so I can't see them doing otherwise.

A bit late in posting this but it was fun as a Braves fan to witness the Kapler mess in full color this past weekend. That game Thursday was a glorious abomination for an opposing fan. Phils fans are giving Kapler pure hell; not sure I've ever seen such rancor directed at a rookie manager after 3 games. 

11 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

A bit late in posting this but it was fun as a Braves fan to witness the Kapler mess in full color this past weekend. That game Thursday was a glorious abomination for an opposing fan. Phils fans are giving Kapler pure hell; not sure I've ever seen such rancor directed at a rookie manager after 3 games. 

I have an acquaintance who is directing a shit ton a Boone. What happened in Philly exactly? I know Nola came out after 58 pitches but I know there is more to that.

45 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I have an acquaintance who is directing a shit ton a Boone. What happened in Philly exactly? I know Nola came out after 58 pitches but I know there is more to that.

That was arguably the worst move - Phils up 5-0, Nola had thrown 68 pitches through 5 1/3 and appeared unhittable. At that point I saw no chance for a Braves win. Kapler inexplicably took him out and all hell broke loose. Kapler used 5 relievers. 

Friday night they won the game 5-4, but Kapler used EIGHT (!!!) relievers in an 11-inning game. 4 different guys pitched less than a full inning. 

Saturday the wheels came off. At one point Kapler made a mound visit and signal to the bullpen, but the pitcher had just started warming up (bullpen catcher hadn't even crouched yet). Once Kapler realized this he tried to stall for time, but the ump wasn't having it. Very bizarre situation. The ump ended up giving the reliever extra warm up pitches to keep him from getting hurt. Kapler is liable to receive a reprimand from the MLB for that. 

5 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

That was arguably the worst move - Phils up 5-0, Nola had thrown 68 pitches through 5 1/3 and appeared unhittable. At that point I saw no chance for a Braves win. Kapler inexplicably took him out and all hell broke loose. Kapler used 5 relievers. 

Friday night they won the game 5-4, but Kapler used EIGHT (!!!) relievers in an 11-inning game. 4 different guys pitched less than a full inning. 

Saturday the wheels came off. At one point Kapler made a mound visit and signal to the bullpen, but the pitcher had just started warming up (bullpen catcher hadn't even crouched yet). Once Kapler realized this he tried to stall for time, but the ump wasn't having it. Very bizarre situation. The ump ended up giving the reliever extra warm up pitches to keep him from getting hurt. Kapler is liable to receive a reprimand from the MLB for that. 

Holy fuck that is bad! I get that front offices want guys who are going to manage their way but this is ridiculous. Someone is going to get hurt like this, Boone's mistakes were chicken shit compared to Kapler. Something has to change quick.

3 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Holy fuck that is bad! I get that front offices want guys who are going to manage their way but this is ridiculous. Someone is going to get hurt like this, Boone's mistakes were chicken shit compared to Kapler. Something has to change quick.

Actually I was a bit behind in the news - Kapler's reprimand from the MLB has been confirmed

18 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Twins are super mad that an O’s player bunted against the shift in the ninth. Twinkies fans, get in here so that the rest of us can mock you.

Wait what? I'm only mad that bunting against the shift isn't more of a thing. Guys with even a bit of speed should be bunting down the third base like every time until the shift stops.

3 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Wait what? I'm only mad that bunting against the shift isn't more of a thing. Guys with even a bit of speed should be bunting down the third base like every time until the shift stops.

Not just speed guys.  All guys.  The evil of the shift can't go fast enough, and hardcore hitters taking singles and junk hits through hunting and going opposite the shift is the key to it going away.  Eventually.

7 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Not just speed guys.  All guys.  The evil of the shift can't go fast enough, and hardcore hitters taking singles and junk hits through hunting and going opposite the shift is the key to it going away.  Eventually.

Oh, you're absolutely right, any hitter worth his salt should be able to go the other way and slap one down the third base line.

Agree with the general sentiment.  The shift is bad for baseball and any legal tactic that hastens its demise is fine by me.  Also, once you've shifted, you lose the right to play the 'just play out the end of the game' card.

Yeah, the complaint make zero sense. It’s okay for us to put on the shift with a 7 run lead in the 9th, but it’s not okay for you to try to beat the shift with a 7 run deficit in the 9th? Fuck off.

Archived