UK Politics - From Russia with Love

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, mankytoes said:

I feel it's one that people are quite entrenched in. I think it's quite a sensitive topic for people who are circumcised, or who have had their children circumcised, when phrases like "genital mutilation" start being used (even though technically...).

I wouldn't make a law specifically about circumcision, I'd make a law banning any unnecessary surgery or permanent body modification on a child. It's bizarre to me that no country in the world, apparently, has that. 

A seemingly simple solution fraught with issues - the most obvious that jumps out is different interpretations of ‘necessary’

2 hours ago, mankytoes said:

I feel it's one that people are quite entrenched in. I think it's quite a sensitive topic for people who are circumcised, or who have had their children circumcised, when phrases like "genital mutilation" start being used (even though technically...).

I wouldn't make a law specifically about circumcision, I'd make a law banning any unnecessary surgery or permanent body modification on a child. It's bizarre to me that no country in the world, apparently, has that. 

Hehe, yes, it's quite glorious. Also the way it's rationalized.. Anyway, this thread isn't the place for it (the audience is too small ;) )

39 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A seemingly simple solution fraught with issues - the most obvious that jumps out is different interpretations of ‘necessary’

Well yeah, these things have to be ironed out, we have common law to set precedent, I don't see it as anymore difficult than figuring out what is "reasonable" self defence, and issues like that.

It would certainly be very difficult to argue that any body modification procedure not approved by a doctor is necessary. Most of the arguments around male circumcision are about whether it is harmful, or beneficial, but I haven't heard anyone actually claim it's "necessary". 

I look at it this way- say circumcision just never existed, and I founded a new religion, and said we should circumcise our baby boys, people would be saying I was mentally ill. People have the right to do whatever they want to their own bodies, but not to the bodies of others, including their children. We should teach everyone that no one has the right to do things to their bodies without their consent.

3 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

Well yeah, these things have to be ironed out, we have common law to set precedent, I don't see it as anymore difficult than figuring out what is "reasonable" self defence, and issues like that.

It would certainly be very difficult to argue that any body modification procedure not approved by a doctor is necessary. Most of the arguments around male circumcision are about whether it is harmful, or beneficial, but I haven't heard anyone actually claim it's "necessary". 

I look at it this way- say circumcision just never existed, and I founded a new religion, and said we should circumcise our baby boys, people would be saying I was mentally ill. People have the right to do whatever they want to their own bodies, but not to the bodies of others, including their children. We should teach everyone that no one has the right to do things to their bodies without their consent.

I don’t disagree with you, just pointing out that there are obvious reasons why these ideas/laws aren’t in practice

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don’t disagree with you, just pointing out that there are obvious reasons why these ideas/laws aren’t in practice

There is nothing that makes me think that law would be especially difficult to interpret, I think it's just religious groups (and social norms in countries like America) that stop those laws. Iceland is a fantastic country, I really hope they pass their law banning this.

2 hours ago, Mikael said:

Hehe, yes, it's quite glorious. Also the way it's rationalized.. Anyway, this thread isn't the place for it (the audience is too small ;) )

There's also the little fact that the natives here are likely to be pretty much unanimous. It's really not a contraversial topic in the UK, something like 3% of male babies.

I suspect we don't have a law against it as cultural norms have already dealt with it, along with an acceptance that religious nutters will find a way of doing it regardless, so let's keep it clean when it is done.

Arguments about hygeine and disease reductions are scientifically void.

Hardly surprising, Brexit is the result of the rise of English nationalism, a force whose absence, post-Great Power decline, academics and analysts always found so amazing. Anecdotally, most of my Brexiteer friends regard getting rid of Northern Ireland and Scotland as a bonus rather than a drawback.

16 hours ago, Hereward said:

Hardly surprising, Brexit is the result of the rise of English nationalism, a force whose absence, post-Great Power decline, academics and analysts always found so amazing. Anecdotally, most of my Brexiteer friends regard getting rid of Northern Ireland and Scotland as a bonus rather than a drawback.

Though Wales was as pro-Brexit as England was.

50 minutes ago, Hereward said:

?

The Miami Marlins are owned by a shell corporation based in the British Virgin Islands. Therefore, they are an English club.

Congratulations!

49 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Baseball?  that's Rounders isn't it?

Calling baseball rounders is significantly worse than calling soccer football! Both are crimes against humanity though.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Miami Marlins are owned by a shell corporation based in the British Virgin Islands. Therefore, they are an English club.

Congratulations!

Calling baseball rounders is significantly worse than calling soccer football! Both are crimes against humanity though.

I wonder what you would say when I call American Football Rugby with body armour.

I will however admit that we did take Basketball and corrupted that to be Netball so its not all a one way game perversion thing going on.

Archived