Followers 0
Theda Baratheon

How's Life thread

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Nevermind.

Edited by Toth

On 4/6/2018 at 7:20 PM, S John said:

That’s what gets me as well.  Virginia is really quite mild in all 4 seasons but on the other side of the mountains in West Virginia the winter really drags.  I moved back there for a spell after undergrad and about this time of year was the worst part.    I don’t really mind winter for the first couple of months, I’m just always done with it before it’s done with me.

Texas has the opposite problem in that it’s the summer that comes early and then never wants to give up and go away.  While actually living in a hot climate is most definitely not as rosy as I had imagined it would be as a kid, I still think I slightly prefer a prolonged summer to a prolonged winter.  I’ve decided to cap my northern boundary of full time living at Virginia.  I’m not moving farther north than that unless it’s west of Kansas or an opportunity that is so incredible that it can’t be turned down.  Midwest and Northeast are retired for me.

It snowwwwed today, like seriously just stop. Ugh. Having lived in warm and cold climates, I am definitely one of those people who doesn't really get sick of the warmth! I will say though that living in South Carolina (as opposed to Southern CA) I did get sick of the oppressive humidity and not being able to step outside without being drenched in sweat. But I'd still take that over being cold!

On 4/6/2018 at 7:46 PM, Mr. X said:

"First author paper" sounds like a pretty big deal to me. Congrats. And yeah, Chicago is a lot of fun for running. I don't know if you have any intentions of running a marathon at some point, but the Chicago Marathon is a great experience all around. And that's good that you are actively dealing with the depression. I know what a devil that can be.

Thanks! I've been enjoying the running around here (I live close enough to the lake that I usually incorporate at least a portion of the Lake Shore Trail into my runs), but I'm still recovering from my rather unexplained heel injuries so haven't been looking into doing any races. But I've been improving and just hit the 5 mile mark for my long runs without too much pain so hopefully it might be in the cards again soon! It's been almost 2 years since my last race and I really miss it.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:46 PM, Mr. X said:

Hey, congrats! That's awesome. Glad you're taking to Texas as well.

You came up in conversation recently when I was talking with a friend of mine whom you met at MDF all those years ago. You and MC taught his wife to shotgun a beer.

Thanks!  Yea it’s alright and I spend a lot of time in the Hill Country and father out into West Texas (I love the desert) for work, so between those areas and Austin I am lucky enough to spend most of my time in the best parts of the state.  

And lol, I had totally forgotten about shotgunning those beers at MDF but remembered it immediately upon reading your post.  That may have been that last time I shotgunned a beer... might have to upgrade my weekend plans!

I didn't make it to the assessment stage of the job I applied for :( I mean at least they let me know the reason and that there were over 2000 applicants...so I guess I should feel better.

Still I told myself if I didn't get it I still have lots of stuff to do here. Finish my driving lessons and finally pass...start a Cornish language class in July...more museum projects coming up so not all bad...I'm just so...BORED here. 

16 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I didn't make it to the assessment stage of the job I applied for :( I mean at least they let me know the reason and that there were over 2000 applicants...so I guess I should feel better.

Still I told myself if I didn't get it I still have lots of stuff to do here. Finish my driving lessons and finally pass...start a Cornish language class in July...more museum projects coming up so not all bad...I'm just so...BORED here. 

Boredom is what the board is for!  Rejoice!

Theda - my last name is Cornish, I too have studied the language and history, and will be visiting relatives in the area there in the UK this summer (I live in Western Canada now).  I volunteer and sit on the board of a museum here as well, the Western Development Museum, which has many airplanes, trains, cars, motorcycles of all description and more, it's very interesting.  I've been on disability for 8 years now, and it's helping pass the time.  Anyway, very interesting that you're studying the Cornish language as part of your Masters program. 

Since I retired/was put on disability/ from contracting and training with private military companies in the early 2010s, my mother went through 2 types of cancer and passed away a few months back.  I was her primary caregiver for the final 2 years, as she wasn't ambulatory for that time, and with the help of home care nursing once a day, I was able to see to all her needs, though every day was a struggle in some way.   The last 2 months were extremely difficult as her mind began slipping, and she lost nearly all her motor functions.  I don't regret keeping her at home though, they just warehouse seniors like her in homes here in Canada, and it would have been awful for her as she had eye issues where bright light was hell for her, and they demanded lights on in the homes, plus being in a room with 2 or 3 other dying women.  Since she's passed though, it's been difficult to find purpose in my life, for the first 2 months I literally just stared at the walls as I went from answering my mom's alarm every 5 to 10 minutes, constantly cleaning, feeding, shopping, dealing with doctors and pharmacies, to nothing overnight - it was more than a full time job.  Going from that to having no responsibilities other than for myself, it's been a real shock to the system in every respect, physically, emotionally, all of it.

I've been writing short stories for the last few months, I submitted one to a friend that works in the KDP Kindle self publishing program, and she circulated it around to some friends and I've been encouraged by the response.  I've also been able to focus a bit more on my own health, but fortunately I've been in a holding pattern in that regard with no major changes, the last chemo round I did in 2014 and have been fortunate since then.

I've set up a schedule that's been working well for me, I wake up at 6am every day, meditate and read positive material for an hour, thank the universe for all I still have, and get in some cardio.  I bought a new bicycle, it has a 1000w electric system as well, so that if I punk out on rides, I can zip home on electric power at 32km/hr, which eliminates the fear of getting out there and having my old and battered body fail on me and being "stuck".  No longer.  It's made a really big difference, hopefully with the light weight training I've incorporated some day I'll be able to get back at least some of the strength and flexibility I had while power lifting and body building in the 2000s. 

Lastly, I've made it a goal to be kind and caring to every person I meet and come into contact with, both online and in person.  Volunteering has helped with this immeasurably.  As I said, I'm going to visit the UK again in the summer, it'll be the first time I've traveled outside of Western Canada since 2010, having traveled so much in the past, I've truly missed that part of my life, and look forward to this summer most of all.

7 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Theda - my last name is Cornish, I too have studied the language and history, and will be visiting relatives in the area there in the UK this summer (I live in Western Canada now).  I volunteer and sit on the board of a museum here as well, the Western Development Museum, which has many airplanes, trains, cars, motorcycles of all description and more, it's very interesting.  I've been on disability for 8 years now, and it's helping pass the time.  Anyway, very interesting that you're studying the Cornish language as part of your Masters program. 

That's cool! My name is very Welsh but I was born and grew up in Cornwall, moved to Wales for a few years and have been back living in Cornwall for a couple of years now. Which area are you visiting?  

I have very conflicting emotions about Cornwall - on one hand it is a beautiful county with a wealth of history and folklore and it absolutely isn't taken seriously in that regard and Cornish people are often mocked for caring about being Cornish. Cornish is a leglly recognised minority now and you can tick Cornish on identity forms but it's still mocked. 

On the other hand...there are hardly any opportunities for me here, second homes are a HUGE problem, there are big poverty problems here so in some ways I cant wait to get out. 

But as I'm still here for the forseable I'm going to make the most of finishng up my driving lessons,  getting a couple more museum projects under my belt and going to some language classes.

The classes themselves aren't part of my masters degree and are at a local arts centre but because my Masters subject is "Celtic Studies" I expect having a better grasp of Cornish will help immensley - especially as I'd like to write my final year dissertation on the similarities of Wales and Cornwall. 

Ive been volunteering for the Royal Cornwall Museum, the county museum, for over two years now. I really do love it though I'm ready to stretch my wings now. Maybe I'm just going to have to finish my Masters before I can do just that after all. 

I really hope you have a lovely time in Cornwall - for all my complaints - I really do love it and am happy and proud to be from there.

I'm so sorry for your loss x