Theon Durden

Lost Melnibonean

Ummmm, you are mucho smarter than me. I’m thinking you are plucking with me or I have been at the pub to long.

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Other than the obvious reason (people, even people in ASOIAF, don't usually have conversations with, and describe, their alter egos),

Agreed, alter egos are not part of the ambiguity martin has written.

the only reason for the reader to assume it's not Reek's alter ego as the reader reads the text (rather than those of us who have taken these books apart piece by piece):

I dunna know if it is me or you but one of us is confused. Most likely me.

Theon suggests that he could be the man striking down Bolton's men from the shadows.

Without a textual quote I can not respond.

But we laAnd the problem you cite above is a problem for any other character. Any Stark loyalist like Robett Glover or the Blackfish or Hal Mollen would be recognized and taken into custody or killed. 

I dunna agree that the people would be recognized by the ordinary Bolton guard. I just canna figure out how someone would manage to get into WF when Bolton has it locked down.

3 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

The issue with that of course is how Howland would recognize Theon.

Not directed to you personally. Open to general conversation.

The crannogmen had the Ironborn leftovers pinned down at Moat Catlin. Ramsey sent Theon to open the way so that Roose could pass. Theon was able to approach and interact with the Ironborn at MC without interference from the crannogmen.

Why would Roose fear the crannogmen? Lord Bolton hid in a covered wagon as he traveled through the Neck.

Prior to the RW Robb had sent two envoys to seek out Howland. Those envoys have not made an appearance as of the end of DwD. Don’t know if those envoys Robb sent reached the destination. If Robb's envoys did reach the destination they would have told the elusive Howland their tale.

I seem to remember Jojen or his sister mentioned that Jojen had a greendreams, told his dad and Howland sent his daughter and son to WF to intervene. One of those green dreams was that the sea was coming to WF.

I’ll accept Howland as the HM before I accept Theon Durden.

Archived