Mass of Robert Baratheon

Jaak

Eddard Stark specifies Robert´s height. 198 cm.

As a young man, Robert had been fit and muscular. Not tall and lanky.

What was Robert´s weight as a fit 25 year old?

Since Greyjoy Rebellion, Robert added "at least 8 stone", i. e. about 50 kg (112 pounds).

What was the total mass of Robert as of Game of Thrones - the original muscular 198 cm tall man plus the added 50 kg of fat?

27 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Around 150 kg I guess, but what's the point?

Well, I wouldn't call a 6 foot 6 inch guy who weighs only 100kg heavily muscled. In fact, I would call him lean and on the thin side.

Look at professional rugby players as an example. Loose forwards are generally around 6 foot 3 or 4 inches, and need to weigh around 110kg's to be considered powerful. Locks are around 6 foot 6 and weigh 115kg-125kg's, but they are generally less agile and more chunky. I would place Robert as someone with the height of a lock but the mobility of a loose forward, given the description we have been given.

So 115kg's in his prime, I would say. That's about 250 pounds of muscle.

EDIT

Actually I've done some more thinking and for him to have been particularly strong for a 6 foot 6 inch guy, you'd probably have to pack some more muscle onto those shoulders and arms, so 120kg would probably be a minimum weight for him. That's above 260 pounds.

EDIT

So for his ending weight, add 50kg to that.

Robert may not have added 8 stones; muscle is more dense than fat (1.1 compared to 0.9 if not mistaken, for comparison water is 1 g/cm^3) So Robert could even lose some weight and still look as if he has become heavier.

So for every g of muscle he lost and fat gained he gains an extra ~0,2 cm^3 volume

12 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Well, I wouldn't call a 6 foot 6 inch guy who weighs only 100kg heavily muscled. In fact, I would call him lean and on the thin side.

Look at professional rugby players as an example. Loose forwards are generally around 6 foot 3 or 4 inches, and need to weigh around 110kg's to be considered powerful. Locks are around 6 foot 6 and weigh 115kg-125kg's, but they are generally less agile and more chunky. I would place Robert as someone with the height of a lock but the mobility of a loose forward, given the description we have been given.

So 115kg's in his prime, I would say. That's about 250 pounds of muscle.

EDIT

Actually I've done some more thinking and for him to have been particularly strong for a 6 foot 6 inch guy, you'd probably have to pack some more muscle onto those shoulders and arms, so 120kg would probably be a minimum weight for him. That's above 260 pounds.

EDIT

So for his ending weight, add 50kg to that.

The Baratheons have a blacksmithy thing what with the war hammer, Gendy's blacksmithing, and Donal Noye's being a blacksmith (from the Stormlands with black hair).

Adding more around the shoulders and arms is a good call.

21 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

And again what's the point? What difference does it makes if Robert weighs 180, 200 or 400 kg? Is there a Sumo team recruiting?

I can't speak for others, but dwelling on the maiden's fantasy that was young Robert Baratheon is a worthy pursuit in itself. :leer:

15 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I can't speak for others, but dwelling on the maiden's fantasy that was young Robert Baratheon is a worthy pursuit in itself.

Oh I don't think anyone doubts that 25 y Robert was attractive, like a modern rugby "2nd row", wide shoulders, 6 pack, penetrating gaze, beautiful hair, etc.

but his "total mass" when he was a drunkard king??

24 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Oh I don't think anyone doubts that 25 y Robert was attractive, like a modern rugby "2nd row", wide shoulders, 6 pack, penetrating gaze, beautiful hair, etc.

but his "total mass" when he was a drunkard king??

I don't want to think about the mass of drunk fat Robert :ack: This is where I get off.

:P

There is no point. Unless an individual is in interested with mass. Like a weight lifter or body builder asking a simple question.

Then there is that other train of thought, fat shaming a 36 year old male who likes his beverage. :o

I dunna know where you live but here in the USA one of the main news stories is a comedian and a news personality twitter fighting.:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Jaak said:

Eddard Stark specifies Robert´s height. 198 cm.

As a young man, Robert had been fit and muscular. Not tall and lanky.

What was Robert´s weight as a fit 25 year old?

Since Greyjoy Rebellion, Robert added "at least 8 stone", i. e. about 50 kg (112 pounds).

What was the total mass of Robert as of Game of Thrones - the original muscular 198 cm tall man plus the added 50 kg of fat?

Big enough to swing his war hammer at a velocity to penetrate handsome boy's jeweled armor.  Add the accumulated fat and he was 140kg or more by the start of book 1.  

11 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

And again what's the point? What difference does it makes if Robert weighs 180, 200 or 400 kg? Is there a Sumo team recruiting?

There are worse threads than this one :)

In book X when character Y scratches his bum his left eye twitches - that foreshadows that Z's moonblood will be late which proves Tyrion being Oberyn's secret daughter and that The North Will Rise Again!

When asked about this GRRM gave a blank stare and blinked in surprise so it must totally be true!

7 hours ago, TMIFairy said:

In book X when character Y scratches his bum his left eye twitches - that foreshadows that Z's moonblood will be late which proves Tyrion being Oberyn's secret daughter and that The North Will Rise Again!

When asked about this GRRM gave a blank stare and blinked in surprise so it must totally be true!

I knew it!    ;-)

So three men for whose weight we have numbers:

Samwell Tarly - 20 stone, i. e. 127 kg. Fat and not physically fit.

Robert. 198 cm tall.

As a young man, fit but muscular. Meaning he may have been as heavy as 120...130 kg without being fat.

Which is as heavy as young Samwell... but Samwell is shorter, and not physically trained.

Then, in 9 years after age 27, he added "at least" 8 stone - 50 kg

If he was 120...130 kg before, that got him to 170...180 kg.

And finally Mountain that Rapes.

Height "Closer to 8 feet than 7". Meaning above 228 cm, but under 244. Probably in the range of 230...235 cm.

Weight specified as 30 stone - 190 kg. Mostly muscle.

Meaning that Gregor outweighed Robert - unless Robert was 140 kg as a fit young man, or added more than 50 kg.

How do the proportions compare then? Samwell vs. young Robert, and old Robert vs. Gregor?

On 4/8/2018 at 2:14 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

Then there is that other train of thought, fat shaming a 36 year old male who likes his beverage. :o

Yeah. Only women should be fat-shamed.   (a jape, dear pup! just a jape.)

Archived