The Trial of Roose Bolton

5 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

Robb was not kicking him out though, he was claiming kingship of the North and Riverlands, to Queen Dany he was nothing more than a traitor fighting an illegal war.

What are you talking about? When Robb decided to avenge the killing of his father by the dirty by-product of incest and adultery there was no "Queen Dany"…

24 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

What are you talking about?

the topic, I thought that was perfectly clear from my response

24 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

When Robb decided to avenge the killing of his father by the dirty by-product of incest and adultery there was no "Queen Dany"…

well there kind of was, both Viserys and Dany considered themselves king an queen. 

Robb crowned himself and died in a war were he was fighting for ownership of part of Dany's empire. 

1 hour ago, Bernie Mac said:

Robb was not kicking him out though, he was claiming kingship of the North and Riverlands, to Queen Dany he was nothing more than a traitor fighting an illegal war. Her claiming his death was a crime may well be her legitimizing his claim and destabilizing her own title. 

As I said before, why would she prosecute this trial other than to make readers of the book happy? 

Probably to set a precedent and achieve the sympathy of the northerners. Most northern Houses are pro-Stark, and as the situation is in Dance, it may be difficult to maintain a Bolton wardenship or even Roose to go  somehow unpunished. After a period of war, it may be better to reach agreements and good terms between former contenders and enemies.

24 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

Probably to set a precedent and achieve the sympathy of the northerners. Most northern Houses are pro-Stark,

Right, I can see the merit in Dany restoring them to power, maybe even officially pardoning Ned for the treason he committed against Robert and Joffrey. 

However I can't see why she would start prosecuting crimes done during a war, especially to people who had usurped power. If Roose was to be put on trial for the murder of Robb, won't she have to do the same for Tyrion and Brienne, the people believed of murdering Tywin and Renly? 

And if we are talking about precedents, if she is making it a crime for a noble to support the Crown over their own liege lord, like many supporters did for the Targs during Robert's Rebellion, she is  weakening her own power and strengthening the Overlords of the realm. 

2 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Right, I can see the merit in Dany restoring them to power, maybe even officially pardoning Ned for the treason he committed against Robert and Joffrey. 

However I can't see why she would start prosecuting crimes done during a war, especially to people who had usurped power. If Roose was to be put on trial for the murder of Robb, won't she have to do the same for Tyrion and Brienne, the people believed of murdering Tywin and Renly? 

Treason can be pardoned, IMO. Breaking tradition (breaking the law of hospitality, kinslaying et al) just cant go unpunished. I doubt Roose could result beheaded in a trial as the aforementioned, but he certainly could be stripped from lands or exiled, doomed to live in infamy.

1 hour ago, Bernie Mac said:

Ned never commited treason against Robert, and — for the 1000th time — Joffrey wasn't a legit King since he wasn't Robert's son… How can you deny this fact? Why do you post this kind of nonsense, exactly?

Ned's confessions are obtained under duress and blackmail, I suppose that makes them legit for you…:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Agreed. As if someone would bother with a trial. More like him and his monster of a son are killed off in the next book. 

Can a female be a sexist? Did you see the fighting in the clip. Dem northmen in martin's saga are a gonna whoop some Bolton arse with swords, knives and arrows now that fArya is outta there.

"Your honor, my client demands a trial by combat"

"As you wish. The Hon. Doran Martell names Mister Wun Wer Wun Dar Wun, aka Wun Wun, as fighter for the Court. Bailif, send a raven to Castle Black, where Mr Wun resides at present"

On 4/9/2018 at 5:25 PM, Damsel in Distress said:

This is not a game, but it will require you to put on your thinking caps.  The time period is the near future.  Westeros is back under Targaryen control.  Empress Daenerys Targaryen, the first of her name, has taken back the seven kingdoms from the Lannisters.  The white walkers have been defeated and the wildlings sent back to the other side of the wall.   Roose Bolton is on trial for killing Robb Stark.  The North and the Stark children would like to execute him but many in the south have argued for his release.  A jury that is as unbiased as possible under the circumstances has been called to hear both sides.

The trial is being held at Highgarden.  Her Majesty will not be present at the trial.  The honorable Doran Martell will be the presiding judge.  Roose's guilt or innocence is to be decided by a jury of seven lords from Dorne and the Reach.  You have been chosen to defend Roose Bolton.  Apply the known laws of Westeros to defend your client, if you can.  The jury have taken an oath to act without bias and to apply the *current laws to reach their decision.

There will be court observers from across the Narrow Sea.  The honorable Skahaz Mo Kandaq, the Tattered Prince, and Brown Ben Plumm.  Do keep in mind that laws exists in Westeros but these laws are under review.  Is it possible to defend Roose?

*The outcome of this case could set a precedent for coded law that will affect both sides of the new Empire.  

Roose loses his head as soon as he loses this battle.  He won't get a chance to plead his side.  We can't assume that because Tyrion got a trial twice that the same opportunity will extend to Roose Bolton.  His only chance is to win the battle and kill Stannis.

4 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

Ned never commited treason against Robert,

but officially that is why he was executed, that is what the record book in westeros have recorded Ned committing treason against Robert and his children. That is how histroy works, you have boasted a fair few times about studying it, until someone with authority change that then Ned was executed for treason, something he actually admitted to a crown of hundreds of people. 

And in actual fact Ned did commit treason, his king ordered him to write his last will and testament and Ned falsified it. That is treason, it is not the treason he was executed for but Ned did commit treason against Robert (and Aerys). 

and — for the 1000th time — Joffrey wasn't a legit King since he wasn't Robert's son…

make up your mind, you claim there "was no "Queen Dany"…" and you don't like the fact that when Ned was executed the majority of the realm recognized Joffrey as king. Do tell, when Ned was arrested who did the majority of the realm consider the king. 

How can you deny this fact? Why do you post this kind of nonsense, exactly?

What nonsense? why can you not have a civil conversation, why the constant attacks? 

Ned's confessions are obtained under duress and blackmail, I suppose that makes them legit for you…:rolleyes:

we are not talking about the readers though,  we are talking about a hypothetical court case in westeros. please keep on topic. 

22 minutes ago, Wolf's Bane said:

One minor question.  Are there any witnesses to the stabbing available to testify?  Catelyn saw it but she's dead.  I don't think she can remain fresh for too much longer.  

Good point! Yes there are witnesses, a few lords and knights that are imprisoned at the Twins. I believe there's one  GreatJon Umber, one Mallister, one Piper…

Jaime claims these prisoners for the  Crown when he joins the Frey besieging Riveruns.

1 hour ago, Wolf's Bane said:

One minor question.  Are there any witnesses to the stabbing available to testify?  Catelyn saw it but she's dead.  I don't think she can remain fresh for too much longer.  

The Freys, who have maintained that Robb and his men turned into Direwolfs and starting attacking people during the wedding. 

6 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Can a female be a sexist? Did you see the fighting in the clip. Dem northmen in martin's saga are a gonna whoop some Bolton arse with swords, knives and arrows now that fArya is outta there.

Yeah, seen that movie more than once, thank you for reminding me of that classic piece of a scene. 

Hope so though, I don't expect the author gonna bother with a trial. 

8 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

Good point! Yes there are witnesses, a few lords and knights that are imprisoned at the Twins. I believe there's one  GreatJon Umber, one Mallister, one Piper…

Jaime claims these prisoners for the  Crown when he joins the Frey besieging Riveruns.

I’m not sure any of them were present. Greatjon I am almost sure wasn’t, as he had gone off to the bedding ceremony, and I think the other two did as well

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’m not sure any of them were present. Greatjon I am almost sure wasn’t, as he had gone off to the bedding ceremony, and I think the other two did as well

The Greatjon was present.  He knocked out one of the attackers with a leg of lamb.

Archived